+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is a cheap jewellery shop called shiels but I swear black and blue it was or used to be called shields!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I could have sworn Courtney Love was dead, years and years ago. And I have not googled whether she is or not before writing this but my head is telling me she died more recently and I was shocked at the announcement because I already thought she was dead......it's gonna really spin me out if she does go ahead and die. Sounds cray cray I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    I could have sworn Courtney Love was dead, years and years ago. And I have not googled whether she is or not before writing this but my head is telling me she died more recently and I was shocked at the announcement because I already thought she was dead......it's gonna really spin me out if she does go ahead and die. Sounds cray cray I know.
    I think this one sounds understandable, when Amy Winehouse died I remember being surprised since I thought she was already dead. But I probably heard or saw a news report somewhere in the background talking about her and drugs and rehab, followed by talk of someone else dying and my brain just filtered in "Amy Winehouse…drugs…dead", and since that fits in with expectations of celebrities and crazy lifestyles my brain just decided it was true.

Anyone else get the Henry VII eating a turkey leg or some other kind of big piece of meat? I would have sworn I'd seen that painting before but apparently not.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I've just been reading more on the website, and the author used words "alternate memory" to describe the Mandela affect and it made me think of my own personal memory.

In the years since I have written it off as a very realistic dream, because I could come up with no other explanation as to why I can remember this but my mother especially, but others too, cannot.

When I was around 5 (pretty sure I was in prep as will explain later) I remember one fine sunny day my family was visiting my Nanna at her farm. This happened a lot- my Papa died a few years earlier and my Dad began working on the farm for my Nanna. We later moved onto the farm and lived there- but at this point we still had our house in town.
    Nanna had a very long dirt driveway, but from the house you could walk say 50m and get to a cattle grid. As kids that used to be the point to ride to, and turn around.
    Nanna had a various assortment of old bikes and trikes out at the farm- remnants from her own 5 children and more were probably added as the number of grandchildren grew. One of these was an old blue steel trike.
    This trike was so old the paint was peeling and rust was coming through but perhaps most importantly the rubber tyres had long gone and the trike ran on its 3 rims.
    I can't recall who it was that was pushing me- it could have been my uncle or my dad. Rationally I would say uncle because dad would have been busy farming. At great speed I was pushed up the drive to the cattle grid and back again in quick succession.
    On one such trip to the grid, I put my foot down under the front rim of the wheel and it was run over.
    I remember a lot of shouting and a lot of blood.
    My next memory is going to bed that night. I remember my big toe was very, very sore. So sore that the heavy blankets (before the days of doonas) would hurt my toe everytime they touched. I distinctly remember mum and dad being in our room (shared with my sister) and saying goodnight, and mum putting a large box in my bed with the bottom folded in so my foot could sit inside and the box would hold the blankets off my toe.
    In my memory, my toe was cut quite deeply.

This, to me was real. I had no doubt about it for years. It was fact. I bought it up as a young adult with my mum who swears black and blue it wasn't true.

But I question two things:
    1. As a five year old, how would I have created a memory of the box in the bed to hold the blankets off my toe? I am certain I could not have come up with a solution like that to stop heavy blankets from hurting a body part. But then, perhaps my real memory that I have distorted is mum and dad putting the box in my sisters bed for some ailment she had?
    So then the next question is:
    2. Why in my school memories folder can I go to my prep year and pull out my writing book and locate a story with pictures about the day my toe was "smashed" by the bike? I wasn't a macabre kid, and wouldn't make up a story like that.

My only explanation for years is that I dreamed the lot of it (weird- never had cohesive and realistic dreams. Usually my dreams jump from one oddball thing to another) but now I question if this is my own alternate memory?

And if it is, then surely others must have their own stories of their own alternate memories?

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

almai  (08-05-2015),DT75  (08-05-2015),LaDiDah  (08-05-2015),Phony  (08-05-2015),Skyler  (08-05-2015),snowqu33n  (08-05-2015)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Berenstain? Not no way not no how!!!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

harvs  (08-05-2015),snowqu33n  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FrothyFrog View Post
    Okay so reading through the Mandela effect and most I'm too young to really know about BUT M*A*S*H.... I just don't even know right now. Reading it I was thinking yes, he died then I clicked the link and I do remember him having to go home but for some reason I'm thinking he was coming back and died. I'm leaning more towards he didn't die but it's freaking me out.
    Radar went home after a family member(his dad maybe) died I think and he didn't come back because his family needed him.
    The person you may remember dying after being sent home was Henry Blake. He was going home on leave and the helicopter was shot down before he even left the country.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Radar went home after a family member(his dad maybe) died I think and he didn't come back because his family needed him.
    The person you may remember dying after being sent home was Henry Blake. He was going home on leave and the helicopter was shot down before he even left the country.
    Ah thank you! Yes, I remember it was Henry Blake. That was such a sad episode!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    @Mod-Nomsie to me that sounds more like everyone has forgotten except you. I imagine that would have been traumatic for you and it's things like that which stay in your memory. I can remember instances of being hurt a lot easier than other things from my childhood.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    wow , nomsie. do you have any scars on your toe/foot?? maybe your mum has not wanted to remember this because you were so hurt??
    dss, radar went home because his uncle had died and there was no other male to help his mum run the farm. radar didn't come back.
    henry blake was going home to stay, his tour of duty was up, and his chopper was shot down over korea. I think I spent too many hours watching m*a*s*h . I loved that show. I don't remember the Bernstein bears. marie.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (08-05-2015),smallpotatoes  (08-05-2015),snowqu33n  (08-05-2015)