+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Warming formula when out

In the process of weaning 10 month old ds from breast to formula & just wondering how do you warm formula when out & about?

Everything ive read says not to heat it in the microwave.

Hopefully eventually we can teach him to drink it at room temperature but currently he refuses it unless its warmed up & im just going with that at this stage cause at one point i didnt think he would ever even take formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Heating in the microwave is absolutely fine, there is just a risk of it having hot spots, where it heats unevely & then a hot part can burn babys mouth. Just shake the sh+t out of it when you take the bottle out & it will be fine. You can also bring boiling water in a thermos & add as much as &some cold water in a bottle, and add as much as you need of each to make the correct temp. Or i used to just bring the bottle with boiling hot water, & when bub needed it, would tip some out if it was still too hot &add some cold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I resisted the micro for a long time but finally succumbed... everything I read was saying the risk is of heat pockets in the milk, not loss of nutrients but seriously if you only heat for 20 secs to take the chill off even in commercial micros it is fine - just give the bottle a good swish around and definitely double check the temp on your arm. I think the warnings are to stop nuff nuffs scalding their babies.
    I was more worried warming/cooling a bottle and taking it in an insulation bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hearing in the microwave can cause hot spots as pp stated, however these hot spots can damage the actual formula. It is best to take the powder in a container measured out, and then just heat the water in the micro and then add the formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to put boiling water in the bottle as we left. Generally the water was at the perfect temp to add the formula when he was ready for a feed. On the off chance it wasn't, I'd find a parents room and cool it down with running water. As a pp I used a formula container where you can have three lots of pre measured formula

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (08-05-2015),MrsSS  (07-05-2015),SoThisIsLove  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard of friends taking a flask of heated water with them and making it as they need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also heartstringz, no one said you have to heat the formula. It does make life a hell of a lot easier if bub will take the bottle at room temp.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kezza511 For This Useful Post:

made2bAmummy  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kezza he wont take it at room temperature. Flat out refuses & pushes the sippy cup away. Daycare staff discovered that he will drink it if its heated & that seems to be working for the moment (even taking it from me if its heated).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh bummer. I just heat the water and then add the powder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you are at a cafe etc you can ask for a jug of hot water, some parents rooms have bottle warmers, or i used to take a thermos of hot water and put it in there ... things may be different now though ... my experiences are 20 years old