+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15

Default A Current Affair "Stranger Danger" Report...06/05/2015

Just wondering if anyone else saw it last night too?? I was absolutely horrified and left in tears at just the thought of what would've happened to those children if it was a predator instead of a reporter??

I've also learned a few things to teach my DD and to pass on to family/friends with kids most especially that children under 6yrs don't entirely understand about the meaning of rules and why and that despite drumming it into them, they forget most of the time. Also need to teach about people using dogs/cats as grooming props to gain the child's trust. Even an older set of twins that were approached went willingly with the reporter!!!

This report was truly disturbing to me and just reinforces the fact that the "Stranger Danger" message needs to be hammered home to children often and until they're well out of their childhood's. Not to mention never, ever, EVER taking your eyes off a child/children when out and about.

Here's the link for anyone interested:

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/89...tranger-danger

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I saw it and wasn't the least bit surprised, predators know what is likely to entice a child away, and one of the things I have always hammered into my kids is that 'strangers' can be men or women, teenagers etc, and I have specifically told them over and over scenarios that may involve people enticing them with puppies, kittens, lollies etc. The reason I have done this is because of the evil predators Valmae and Beck whom enticed Sian Kingi to her death with Valmae (the woman) asking Sian to help find her 'lost puppy'. It has always stuck in my mind and therefore I have always hammered home scenarios to the kids along those lines.

Even so, I couldn't 100% guarantee the little ones wouldn't be enticed away with something, the older ones (6yrs and 8yrs) I think not, but I think the younger two could be. The park they showed was one not far from here and the girls were watching totally mesmerised, so thankfully a lot of dialogue was had after we all watched it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It terrified dh and I. Our ds is only 13 months old, so not quite relevant for us as parents yet, but it definitely gave us some tools for when he is older. I found it so surprising how easy it was to lure the children away.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is frightening. Makes me sick how easily it was to lure the children away. A must watch though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teenz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    I remember the Sian Kingi case well Yes, there's no guarantee even when you *think* they wouldn't be. That's what that little experiment showed me. Some of those mum's/grandad thought their children/grandchildren wouldn't go off with a stranger, but they did

Yes, it was all too easy and shows that they do forget the message sometimes and are too trusting while they're still in their childhood which just reinforced to me the need to always be watching them all the time.

I used to ride my bike/walk to the corner shop to get milk/bread etc for mum when I was young (like 10yrs old) sometimes with my older sister, sometimes on my own, but I'd never let my DD do that when she's that age. Same as riding our bikes around the place with the neighbours kids and my older sister etc. I won't be letting her do any of those kind of things while she's in her childhood. I just wouldn't feel confident, especially after that report

I know I'll probably be accused of being a "Helicopter Parent" when she's older not that I care. There are lots of other ways we'll teach her to be resilient and about the world she lives in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Statistics tell us we should be more afraid of the males we know in our lives who are much more likely to harm our children than some random.

In any case, just make sure you have a family password. Your kids should not be going anywhere with anybody unless they know the family password, even if it's people they know.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's true- the vast majority of children who are harmed or molested are victims of people they know: relatives, family friends, coaches, teachers, priests etc.

Stranger danger is important, of course, as long as we don't forget also to teach our children that just because someone is not a "stranger" does not mean they are safe either.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-05-2015)