+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default 7 month old constipated

So my 7 month old DS was exclusively breastfed until 6 months and then he started solids (purées).

He now is having trouble padding his poos and strains and grunts and cries out.

What can I do to treat current constipation and then prevent it?

He will not take a bottle of anything, so he won't drink water. I only give foods that are easy to digest so no protein, bananas, farex, apple etc.

I've started soaking some all bran in water until it breaks down and stirred that through last nights dinner and breakfast today. Should this eventually work?

Any tips or ideas greatly appreciated! My usually happy boy is just a cranky, screaming uncomfortable mess

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Poor bubba. You could try pear. I used infants friend when ds was constipated but his was only mild.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-05-2015),SuperGranny  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its no fun is it? Poor little tyke. My little guy is 7m (today!) and we've just seemed to have finally settled his tummy. As AWC try some pear. We also found blueberries have worked a treat with ds, but just be warned about the colour of his nappy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I used to give Ds a pear and white grape baby food made by organic bubs. I know it's a packet food but I found it worked. I used to call it poo food.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slow down on tbe solids and increase breastfeeds for a few days. It can take a little while for their tummies to adjust to the new foods.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-05-2015),AdornedWithCats  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Apples and bananas are big constipators my paediatrician told me.

I made a little concoction of ripe pears (heating them can take away some of the roughage) and a pinch of brown sugar and if it was too thick just a couple of splashes of apple juice (the cheap long life stuff)

Worked a charm - better than prunes which you can also try... Also plums are meant to be really good for constipation but I didn't try them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Bananas and apples can often bind up babies so maybe avoid those two for a while and up the pears and prunes. Also increase BFs as a PP suggested because breastmilk has a natural laxative in it.

My DS2 always had sluggish bowels which was due to his prematurity according to his paed. So I avoided apples and bananas and served him pears and prunes with every single meal for months! Poor little bloke is 3.5 now and won't even look at a pear!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone! I'll try a few of these.

With prunes, how do I prepare them?? I'm assuming I use dried prunes? He's only on smooth purées at the moment.

Does anyone know anything about Coloxyl drops? The website says to add to water or juice but I can't get any water or juice into him. Can it go in food? For how long can I give it to him?

Also in people's experience how long do their little bodies take to get used to digesting food? I never had these issues with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try a probiotic.

My DD was constipated for quite a few months and nothing seemed to work for her for more than a couple days.

She was formula fed so I tried reducing formula and increasing water, didn't work. Then changed formulas from a 'gold' version to the standard formula, but still no improvement. Desperate one day I went to the chemist who gave me coloxyl drops and suggested trying a baby probiotic.

I used the coloxyl for a few days while the probiotic was kicking in and we have never had a problem since. By what I understand the probiotic is completely natural. I just put one scoop in her bottle once a day or sprinkle it through her weetbix.

DD used to scream in pain every time she had a bowel movement. Now I don't even realise she has done it half the time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 2giraffes For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do puréed fruit which I always put a pear or plum in no matter what other fruit I'm using... So if I make a batch of puréed Apple I add a couple of pears or plums to the mix. My DD 7 month old hasn't been constipated yet (had trouble with DS so extra cautious!). She won't really take water either, still working on her with that but she generally has a weetbix for breakfast with fruit mixed in, Greek yoghurt for lunch with fruit, and veggies & a protein for dinner, followed by about a table spoon of fruit. She has alot of finger foods to play with aswell, toast, avocado, banana, roast veg, corn, meat strips ect... So I haven't had to limit the types of food she has I just make sure she has plenty of fruits that help things to move & seems to work a treat!

I hope it sorts itself out for you both, horrible to see them in pain.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-05-2015)