+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought the comment that not all parents are good parents quite telling.

"...parenting might not be for everyone and for some it can go badly wrong..."

Maybe this is where more discussion should be had. Not everyone parents fabulously, we can try our best but sometimes even our best is not good enough.

Thoughts???

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (06-05-2015),VicPark  (06-05-2015)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    tl:dr - well I read half

and found it theoretical garbage. Seriously ... a strong family bond and parenting disadvantages those who dont have it, so the solution is to disband it for all?

really?

not provide those benefits to the disadvantaged kids some other way ... but reduce all to the lowest common denominator.

This is exactly my issue with it.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Dragon View Post
    I'm disadvantaging other kids because I read to my DD every night? I can see the philosophical point they are trying to make but I don't agree with it. I read to DD because I know it will give her an advantage developmentally. I don't see it as me personally disadvantaging other kids because I have no control over their lives. If I publically advocated for not reading to kids whilst still reading to DD then that would be different.

Lowering the bar instead of aiming to bring those who are disadvantaged up is a terrible theory. It would have a negative impact on society. The supposed benefits of leveling the playing field wouldn't outweigh the negative in making more children disadvantaged & restricting thier development.
    I agree.

I'm not disadvantaging other children because my children get a bedtime story every night. The parents that don't give a bedtime story are disadvantaging their own children. Moreover, is it the story or the act of spending some intimate time with your child(ren) every night that brings the advantage? Or is it both?

Not quite sure what the objective of the discussion is...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Verbal diarreah with the occasional thought provoking golden nugget thrown in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Life isn't a level playing field and never was. Just ask Darwin.

We should strive for a meritocracy and try to help break the cycle of poverty and disadvantage somehow, but to think we'll all be equal is not realistic. It's an interesting philosophical piece.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I read to other people's kids as well as my own... that makes me fair, yes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yea dunno. There was a theory put out there in Freakonomics (possibly Tipping Point) that it's not the act of reading that advantages kids. I think their theory was children raised in homes with book (by parents who read and would buy books) are at an advantage versus kids who are raised by parents who don't own / read books. Essentially smarter parents have smarter kids.

There were a few other points, but that was the gist. I found it plausible more than this.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-05-2015),snowqu33n  (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Verbal diarreah with the occasional thought provoking golden nugget thrown in.
    lol Philosophy in a nutshell :P