+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Negotiating rent decrease

Our lease is up for renewal soon. We live in a town where there are literally thousands of vacant properties and landlords are desperate to get people in. You can pretty much name your price. When we applied for the house we are in, the RE asked us how much we wanted to pay. At that stage we only had a couple of days to move (different towns) and were desperate so we said we would pay what the price was advertised. We would like to see if the landlords would be willing to lower the rent when we renew. Doing a bit of research, most houses in our streey and even suburb are around $50 less a week than what we are paying.

If they say no, all good. But I am not sure how to bring it up? Do I just ask the RE if the owners would consider dropping the rent by x amount?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, I'd just mention to the real estate that your lease is up soon, you've been looking around the area & seen there are plenty of properties with the same features that are advertised as being $50 less than what you're paying. Just ask if the owner would consider dropping it to match others in the area. They can only ask & the worse they can say is no. Or maybe you could flick them an email along those lines?

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (06-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky27 View Post
    Yep, I'd just mention to the real estate that your lease is up soon, you've been looking around the area & seen there are plenty of properties with the same features that are advertised as being $50 less than what you're paying. Just ask if the owner would consider dropping it to match others in the area. They can only ask & the worse they can say is no. Or maybe you could flick them an email along those lines?

Good luck!
    Thanks thats what I was thinking if doing but wasn't sure if there was a proper procedure to it or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you signing a 6 or 12 month lease? I'd be more inclined to accept a decrease if you are a good tenant and signed a 12 month lease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've done this, a couple of times. I put my request into an email and emailed it to the real estate.

I was always very polite, explained how much I loved living in my house, and that I wanted to stay. I find lots of comparable properties, list them in the email as examples of how much I believe the property I was renting was actually worth. And then I ask if the real estate would be willing to contact the landlord and make the request for me. I offer to sign a 12 month lease if the price is right.

Good luck, it's only asking the question, just be polite and have some examples to back up your request.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We will more than likely only sign a 6 month lease because we will be buying.

ETA actually we would be better off signing 12 months as it will probably work out better with dh changing jobs and adding more to the deposit so we can increase the price range we are looking at.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 06-05-2015 at 15:50.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    do it.

- put it in writing
    - show the rents for equivalent properties in your neighbourhood
    - be polite
    - if you have a good record as a tennant, the landlord will know that in order to keep you, they have to reduce the rent to the market price. Otherwise, if you move out they will not only have a reduced rent but the expenses of finding a new tennant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    To be totally honest, I would love to buy the house we live in. Mum reckons in a year or so (or when we are ready to buy) we should ask if it its a possibility. I highly doubt it but she thinks it will be at the very least worth asking about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I would love to do the same when our lease is up in July. One of the other units in the triplex is being rented out now and it's $25 a week cheaper than ours and it has a bigger back yard. When I found out just how much cheaper it as I nearly fell over backwards. The units are the same, just a mirror image. We still have other things to consider before that though, plus I'm a massive chicken when it comes to asking about things like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    I would love to do the same when our lease is up in July. One of the other units in the triplex is being rented out now and it's $25 a week cheaper than ours and it has a bigger back yard. When I found out just how much cheaper it as I nearly fell over backwards. The units are the same, just a mirror image. We still have other things to consider before that though, plus I'm a massive chicken when it comes to asking about things like that.
    Haha same... although we have never actually been in a position where we were able to even think about negotiating rent- 2 years ago the house we are in was over $200 more than what we are paying now and there were people lining up for every available house and offering to pay MORE just so they had somewhere to live. We couldnt afford to live in the town anymore so moved north a few hours. To give you an idea on the prices... the house we moved into up north was $500 a week and that was cheap to us. It was crazy.

I really do love this place. I would buy it in a heart beat if I could. Even if we dont get a decrease in rent, I will happily stay here.