+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Vent and WWYD

So I just had to take my groceries back to the supermarket because they scanned a box of milk wrong. $20 to much. Sorry not letting that go.
    When I parked I sent Ds1 to get a trolley. I had to tell at him to watch for cars then again on the way back to get his feet on the ground and watch for a car backing out.
    The guy parked opposite me said "don't be so hard on him". Wtf. He was going to get hit if he wasn't looking!

So mummy's and dad's WWYD?

PS. I'm still shacking with rage!
    Make me feel better please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What on earth?

I can't believe randoms just comment to strangers like that!

I probably would have said something, but I would have been equally shocked that someone interfered like that.

"I'm sorry, who ARE you?" may have been my response, accompanied by a stink face.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Sookie Stackedhouse  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I would have said that you were telling him about the car that he didn't see..

How old is your DS1?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

rusty22  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is 7.but he has only 1 ear and Aspergers. I suppose I should just not have sent him 4 cars away for a trolley.
    But @FrothyFrog should I have to justify my parenting to a stranger?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op it sounds like you had an annoying &stressful day. I hate having to go back to the shops again for an error! Such a pain! Maybe the stranger thought you were yelling AT your child, instead of shouting loudly to him so he wouldnt get hit by a car? I personally wouldnt send a 7yo to get a trolley though, especially if he has trouble hearing cars & has extra needs that make it harder for him to take a trolley carefully & safely back to the car. Im very paranoid in carparks though! Sorry you had a rough day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No way I'd send a 7yo for a trolley in a carpark.
    Maybe the guy was thinking that you shouldn't be so hard on him since he's so young and isn't really to know how to exactly be safe in a carpark.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough day OP.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

waterlily  (05-05-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi ss, I wonder why people feel they need to comment at all. I mean , yes if the child is in danger, or if the child is doing something risky. but this stranger could see you were right there, and giving instructions to your child. no need for any comments. some people just cant shut their mouths. hugs, marie.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Best Things  (05-05-2015),BettyV  (05-05-2015),Sookie Stackedhouse  (05-05-2015),Tinkers  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    It doesn't matter what you do OP, people will criticise.

You can direct your son and be told off for being too controlling. You can let him do it on his own and be roasted for letting a 7 year old be in control around cars.

I'm pretty sure that at 7 years old it's okay to give children responsibilities and set expectations. You were only 4 cars away and you were directing your son - I definitely don't think you put him, or cars, in a dangerous situation. Responsibilities and expectations help children develop independence, autonomy and problem solving. As long as you delivered your advice and guidance kindly I really don't think that that anything was inappropriate.

As for the person who commented - unfortunately some people feel the need to judge others when they know nothing of the situation or the background story.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, shrug it off. You would be just as mad as the person said "oi why you letting your kid walk behind cars!". Some people just can't help but to engage their mouth before their brain and with people like that you're never going to win because they are a random that means nothing to you or your family. I think it's great you were giving him responsibility and importantly that you were watching him while he did it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just breath! You know your DS better than a complete stranger and car parks, roads, driveways etc need to be treated with immense caution. Don't stress, random people say the stupidest things ALL the time!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post: