+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Fish for babies?

I want to ensure my kids get enough fish in their diets. I am not much of a fish eater so I need to get more into my diet too. What types of fish would suit a baby under 1yo? Any tips on preparing it?

I have made DS some salmon & potato patties which he loves but I'd like some white fish ideas.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I want to ensure my kids get enough fish in their diets. I am not much of a fish eater so I need to get more into my diet too. What types of fish would suit a baby under 1yo? Any tips on preparing it?

I have made DS some salmon & potato patties which he loves but I'd like some white fish ideas.

Thanks!
    I tend to go for snapper fillets but if your in the east, flathead is a good choice.
    I generally just pan fry fillets in olive oil, garlic, herbs and a touch of lemon and then flake it and pop it on the highchair tray.
    Salmon fillets are good as well either pan fried or oven baked or made into fish cakes. I use this as my basic recipe http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/f...D6gXDm58mkb.97

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Cue  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just be wary of which type of fish you are buying, as the guidelines for kids under 6 years are similar to the guidelines for pregnant women. DS usually has snapper or blue whiting. Canned tuna is ok so long as it's skipjack tuna ( much smaller than deep sea tuna)

Here's the NSW guidelines:

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/.../#.VUgzf3DXerU

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Cue  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids have always liked blue trevelly and barra. We tend to eat more salmon, mackerel, trout and sardines tho.

I personally don't like barra so rarely make that. Blue trevelly and blue grenedier or NZ hoki are ok in curries.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Cue  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ling is a good one, the flesh kind of stays in decent sized flakes rather than disintegrating. Barramundi kind of goes mushy and makes a mess. Ocean trout is lovely as well but it's not white

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Cue  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Fish for babies?

I'm a pescatarian so DS has been eating all kinds of seafood from 6 months old - don't forget to try crab ( very high in b12) and prawns in their meals , as a baby I just flaked salmon into little pieces and he just picked it up from his tray , I also added it to warm pasta with ricotta cheese and peas , also fish cakes, salmon nuggets, crab cakes , fish strips ( crumbed flathead) and just cut up prawns into little pieces when we had stir frys or curries and I put tuna on his toasted sandwiches and wraps instead of ham

He now eats salmon twice a week and white fish ( usually flat head or barramundi) or prawns and crab once a week - I substitute with seafood for most meat/chicken dishes so do crab burgers, salmon sausage rolls, prawn curry , butter fish, fish tacos , prawn pasta , fish snitzels etc

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cue  (05-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Barramundi is my favourite fish, but is it too high in mercury?

I can't eat salmon so I rarely cook it except when I make the patties for the kids. I also can't do shellfish, especially if my mum is going to be around as she's allergic.

I'm terrible with seafood, we just didn't have it growing up due to my mums allergy so I'm just trying to get some basic fish into our diets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Barramundi is a great sustainable fish that's mostly now farmed in Australia in fresh water ( NT & QLD) so it's not only fed a controlled diet ( mostly vegetarian) but has a lot less Mercury than the large wild ones so once a week is easily ok - try it in tacos or burritos, Str frys, curries or make fish kebabs

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cue  (06-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about blue whiting? I can't really find anything on the interwebs about it in regards to babies

Thanks
    Reviews

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (08-05-2015),Cue  (09-05-2015)