+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think your thinking too far into it VP.

Neither of the boys have been invited to gender specific parties, there have always been girls and boys. I just ask them who they want to invite when they have birthday parties and there's a mix of boys and girls. Just that last year and this year ds1 didn't have parties, he had 4 of his boy buddies over for a sleepover and having the same 4 over again this year for a swim but he has plenty of girl friends who are always invited to parties he does have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't think anything of it TBH.

DS attended his first Kindy birthday party on Sunday and now that I stop and think about it, only boys from Kindy were there. The only girls where the sisters of the boys. Did not even register on my radar until now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Haven't read replies but I don't get the big deal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I find it odd to be honest. My son's BEST friends are boys, but he has lots of girl friends as well. My daughter's best friends are 2 girls and a boy. If for some reason my children wanted to have an all boy party or an all girl party, I'd just have them invite their closest boy or girl friends, not every single girl/boy in the class and exclude the opposite sex. I do find it odd, and find it odd that not many people find it odd. Lol. Mind you, I am very oblivious to these sort of things and probably wouldn't even notice I certainly wouldn't say anything. It wouldn't annoy me enough that I felt the need to say anything, but I do think it's weird.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't find it weird to invite only boys or only girls.... the children should invite whoever they want to! But to invite EVERY SINGLE girl in the class and no boys, seems specifically exclusive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think gender stereotyping and the construct of gender is very worthy of discussion - I did a few units about the subject at uni and it's always been a topic of interest to me.

I think it's a good thing to be mindful that as parents, we have a massive influence on how our children perceive their gender and gender roles and DH and I both like to challenge the stereotypic ideas that our kids have developed (mostly from school and different friends) about what it means to be a 'girl' or a 'boy'.

I guess the party thing doesn't really rate too highly on my radar a) because as I said, it's pretty common among school aged kids here - usually to keep numbers down and b) I feel my energy is better spent challenging learned gender constructs with my kids at home by modelling behaviour and by having a continuous dialogue.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (06-05-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (06-05-2015),VicPark  (06-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last year DD had a "Ninja Princess" (her choice ) party and invited boys and girls. This year she had "Frozen" and her list just had girls on it. It never crossed my mind that I was being gender biased. I just had a party for my dd and invited her friends. Is it that big of a deal? Im just happy she has a nice group of friends that want to celebrate with her.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Interesting I was talking to DS tonight about who he wanted to invite for his birthday party next month. He advised he would like a 50/50 split of boys and girls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Interesting I was talking to DS tonight about who he wanted to invite for his birthday party next month. He advised he would like a 50/50 split of boys and girls.
    How old is your DS?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How old is your DS?
    He will be 8 next month.

( My first BH post was along the lines of "I am 38 weeks preg with my first baby.")