+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I agree but I draw the line at same gender parties
    My best friends are male. Actually my whole bridal party was male!
    However I enjoy having female only outings from time to time.
    Hell yeah girls nights out are great! Especially if a drinkie poo or too is on the cards!

- females that have male best friends: Could be a very enlightening spin off thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What do you think? Gender based birthday party

Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    It doesn't bother me either.

However the other day I was thinking about a boys only party for Ds until I remembered that there are two girls in the class he really gets along with. One is his new Auskick bestie.

So I'm not sure what I'll do now.
    Invite the friend that is a girl? Have a game of pass the footy instead of pass the parcel

Or pin the footy through the goals instead of pin the tail on the donkey

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Havent read any of the replies but here is a story for you.

A little girl at ds#2's preschool, wAs absolutely smitten with my ds#2. She wrote him love letters, she asked him to marry her every day. It was gorgeous. Especially since my ds#2 is the human version of the internet sensation "grumpy cat" i thought it was cute that she loved him so much.

So she insisted that he be invited to her birthday party.

We rock up and its an all girls fairy party. They had hired actors to be fairies, and allllll the activities were making wands, dancing, cat walk, making fairy wishes...

Grumpy cat ds walks into fairyland (their back deck) and proclaims "fairies arent even real!" And spent 1.5 hours on their trampoline and stuffing cheezlez in his gob.

Shouldnttttttt have been invited. It was torture for me!!! His little girlfriend didnt even talk to him because she was busy being the birthday fairy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Havent read any of the replies but here is a story for you.

A little girl at ds#2's preschool, wAs absolutely smitten with my ds#2. She wrote him love letters, she asked him to marry her every day. It was gorgeous. Especially since my ds#2 is the human version of the internet sensation "grumpy cat" i thought it was cute that she loved him so much.

So she insisted that he be invited to her birthday party.

We rock up and its an all girls fairy party. They had hired actors to be fairies, and allllll the activities were making wands, dancing, cat walk, making fairy wishes...

Grumpy cat ds walks into fairyland (their back deck) and proclaims "fairies arent even real!" And spent 1.5 hours on their trampoline and stuffing cheezlez in his gob.

Shouldnttttttt have been invited. It was torture for me!!! His little girlfriend didnt even talk to him because she was busy being the birthday fairy.
    And this is why we don't really invite boys to our kids parties lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd would want a super hero party with boys and girls for her 3 yo bday party. Ds at the age of 3 wanted a pirate party with only boys. He loves pink and this year chose pink footy boots and a pink mouthguard. I don't encourage my children to be male or female because I like them to choose and I tell my dd (who asks to be a boy) that she can be male/female or neither.

It wouldn't worry me about an all boy or an all girl party. It's not my party to comment on and I don't know the back story. I'm more focused on holding a party where my kids get to make their own choices. As for my own social occasions, I love wine and cheese nights with just my gf's. I'm pretty sure most of my male mates would rather not come but I am choosing not to invite them because I don't want them there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/11/...plicit-sexism/

Interesting read for those parents who question whether or not their actions influence their child's gender associations. Yes it is from a feminist site..

https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin...h.,%202000.pdf
    And this one - mothers of 11 month old girls underestimated their bubs crawling abilities while mums of boys over estimated... One small part of the jigsaw puzzle maybe helping to explain why men are more confident and competitive?

If these tiny things may have an impact, surely something as overt at parents encouraging a same gender party for a three year old is going to leave an imprint too?
    Last edited by VicPark; 06-05-2015 at 07:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Haven't read all the comments yet but my initial thought was that the girl probably told her mum who she likes to play with.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/11/...plicit-sexism/

Interesting read for those parents who question whether or not their actions influence their child's gender associations. Yes it is from a feminist site..

https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin...h.,%202000.pdf
    And this one - mothers of 11 month old girls underestimated their bubs crawling abilities while mums of boys over estimated... One small part of the jigsaw puzzle maybe helping to explain why men are more confident and competitive?

If these tiny things may have an impact, surely something as overt at parents encouraging a same gender party for a three year old is going to leave an imprint too?
    I honestly still think at 3 if they have all of the same gender at their party it makes no difference as long as their parents lead by example - I went to an all girls school for 12 years and only ever had girls at my parties, I'm extremely independent, competitive and outgoing because that's how I was raised and that's my personality

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (06-05-2015),VicPark  (06-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bit odd for a 3yr old party? All the ones DD went to (&her own) were a mix. She has boy & girl besties at daycare.

That article on unconscious gender stereotyping was interesting. A lot of things we just don't think about. Like people saying DD is a "bossy boots" when she gives people orders about what she wants them to do. It's usually said in a joking tone but...the connotation is there that little girls are not meant to be so assertive. Irritates me no end - have to keep saying DD is actually practicing her managerial skills.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my DD's are having a party i ask them who their friends are that they want to invite.
    DD1 its always a mixed girl/boy group.
    DD2 only wants girls to come and even makes a point if saying except for DS & daddy. she is only 4 and has said that for her 3rd & 4th birthday parties.