+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Neighbours barking dog

How long after speaking to neighbours about their constantly barking dog is it acceptable to take things further?

Two weeks ago we along with our next door neighbour spoke to the people living behind us about their dog.

The dog barks from 5am until mid morning and I have had enough.

The owners are quite young and basically said we are at work so cant do anything.

This morning at 530am another neighbour had words over the barking (they were home this time but the barking continued).

Is two weeks long to take this further and report the barking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I'd report it.
    You've done the right thing and talked with them. They've done the wrong thing (nothing). So yes I think that reporting it is the next step.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (05-05-2015),Lincolns mummy  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 weeks is long enough for a change of behaviour in the dog to be evident, if the owners had actually done anything. So I'd report it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree. You have approached them, made them aware and they have have flat out refused to take action. Although, if possible (and if you haven't already), i would keep a diary of all the times it barks, get the other neighbours who complained to do the same. Maybe do it for a week or so, that way you have proof when you report it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes absolutely. Report to your local council through their formal barking dog complaint process. The owner's response is pathetic btw 'we're not home so tough luck' um nope people's it's still your problem to fix! Hopefully they are reasonable people.
    The other thing you and the neighbours might do is give them concrete suggestions: that they walk the dog every day before work, give intelligent toys so the dog has something to do when they're out, take the dog to obedience training so it has regular stimulating activity to look forward to, get a dog trainer to their house to help with the barking, some people try dog citronella collars etc. bottom line is this IS their problem whether it's barking when they're home or not.
    Good luck - we are in an ongoing battle with a side neighbour who has a large (as in loud!) neurotic dog that goes ballistic whenever they are out. We've spoken to them multiple times and they've had a warning from the council after we lodged a complaint. Problem is they don't give a hoot about this poor anxious bored out of its mind dog that has never left the backyard we'll be going to the council again soon but it's such a pain to go through that process and I hate that the dog owners know the problem but don't care enough about the dog to do anything practical to resolve it without being forced to by council.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are these things you can buy specifically for neighbour's dogs barking. It's one of those devices that emits a high pitched sound every time the dog barks. Basically you set it up in your yard close to the offending neighbour's yard. Try googling stop neighbour's dog barking. There are various types of these devices out there. I've never tried them but it's what I would do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I agree. You have approached them, made them aware and they have have flat out refused to take action. Although, if possible (and if you haven't already), i would keep a diary of all the times it barks, get the other neighbours who complained to do the same. Maybe do it for a week or so, that way you have proof when you report it.
    Yup keep a diary. I made a complaint to our council about next doors constantly barking dog after speaking to them twice about it. The council asked us to record the times it barks and for how long. The neighbours got rid of the poor dog in the end. It was obvious it was bored in a tiny backyard and I never saw it taken for a walk.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Their response was pathetic.
    We put electric collars on our dogs at night to stop them barking. It doesn't cause any damage to them and we take them off when it's daytime. The collars work well and they learn quickly not to bark. They could just do that, but it seems they're just lazy.
    You can put a complaint in to the council and they will send them a warning letter. It happened to us when our ******* neighbour complained without even approaching us first. We didn't even know there was an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Totally go ahead and report.

They have done nothing to rectify the situation and don't seem to really care, so let them deal with the council.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Barkbusters...