+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DS knows ALOT of numbers

DS started kindy this year. Just gone into term two.

Hes is nearly 4 and a half years old and im seeing that he is VERY good with numbers.

He can count far beyond 10, up to nearly 50 and he recognizes ALL the one and two digit numbers NOT in order. We often sit with the calculator and i will write numbers and he will say them. He gets 95% of the numbers i write right. And they are not just 0 numbers either, im talking ALL numbers. He is even starting to get the three digit numbers.

This is advanced for a four year old right??

He loves numbers. Hes always talking about numbers and measuring things.

Is there anything i can do to encourage this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 will be 5 in June and has always been good with numbers. He can do basic addition, count to 100, and knows most double digit numbers by sight. I have no idea what's considered advanced for 4 year olds. I don't sit with him and do counting or anything, we incorporate it into stuff he does every day. He loves board games like Snakes and Ladders, card games like Go Fish, we check the calendar every day, look at the weather forecast and talk about temperature, just work it into day to day things. DS2 is starting to pick it up as well. His favorite thing is counting the eggs when we buy them at the supermarket. I also let them buy things occasionally and count out coins with them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS nearly 4 is the same. He can't hold a pencil to save himself though. I think he's just good at numbers he can also add and subtract and who know who he learnt that. Team ymizoomi maybe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD has just turned 4 and can pretty much count to 100. She will occasionally miss a number but is almost there. She can also count backwards from 20 and do simple addition/subtraction. I think some kids are just naturally good with numbers and I think in my dd case she is 2nd child and picks up a lot from DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. My just 4 year old can count to 120. Not sure why he can't go further! Backwards from 29 and does basic adding and subtracting. He knows all his letters - recognizes them all. Be blowed if he could write his name though 😄 terrible with a pencil and drawing, painting etc - just like his parents.

I don't think he is outstanding though. I think he just enjoys numbers and counting. I'll encourage it but only in a fun way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure what they know at what age. Ds is 3yrs old and can count to 20, sometimes 29.
    He can recognise all single numbers too (has been able to for ages)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That seems within the range of normal to me rather than advanced.

Maybe have a chat to his kinder teacher, I'm sure they'll have lots of ideas to help and encourage his blooming skills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We joke we are taking our DS to Vegas to count cards when he turns 21! He could count to 100 at 3 mainly as he just showed a big interest in numbers starting with reading traffic signs (40,60,80,100 km signs) when we are in the car and I bought him a poster with the numbers from 1-100 on it and he just would read them out loud, he can count in 5,s and 10,s to 100 and knows basic addition and subtraction but can't hold a pencil properly and is not great at writing so maybe he's just a natural at maths!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We joke we are taking our DS to Vegas to count cards when he turns 21! He could count to 100 at 3 mainly as he just showed a big interest in numbers starting with reading traffic signs (40,60,80,100 km signs) when we are in the car and I bought him a poster with the numbers from 1-100 on it and he just would read them out loud, he can count in 5,s and 10,s to 100 and knows basic addition and subtraction but can't hold a pencil properly and is not great at writing so maybe he's just a natural at maths!
    My oldest daughter was like this (except also good with writing and reading, comprehension is average though) at 5. She is now 6 and counts in 2, 3, 5, 9, 10, 11. Some kids just have a natural aptitude for maths.

My other child is just average with his maths skills.