+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Position 1!!! I've never worked anywhere that's taken less than an hour to get to. All my jobs...take away traffic were 30 mins away...that's if i can park on site...bit never got parking till this job I'm in now. If i start work at 9am i leave 7:30 just to give myself adequate time to get there. 1 hour is nothing im my eyes. 2 days a week sounds awesome. Even if second job was closer it seems like the only advantage if your not paid well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also position one gives your husband a chance to stay in the work force. I won't give away where i work bit I see alot of people unfortunately being underpaid and it's sad they are being taken advanatge of. Like you said you might be able to take on extra shifts...after 12 months it might be extended or you could do leave cover etc. I definitely wouldn't turn down job 2. It sounds so positive.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only because of stability and by the sounds of it your partners not working I would take job 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Also position one gives your husband a chance to stay in the work force. I won't give away where i work bit I see alot of people unfortunately being underpaid and it's sad they are being taken advanatge of. Like you said you might be able to take on extra shifts...after 12 months it might be extended or you could do leave cover etc. I definitely wouldn't turn down job 2. It sounds so positive.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Her DP can work weekends, nights or even take a 1 day a week position and they can utalise childcare.

I would take job 2. Full time work and stability that is also close to home. You can always look elsewhere once you have a job.

In regards to position 1 wanting to know by tomorrow, i would tell job 2 that you need to know by tomorrow as you have another offer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first option you sound positive. The second not so much so if it were me I would go with my feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    A little more info just to make it harder. The positions are childcare director positions. The closer one means should i ever want/need care for my DS who is nearly 2yrs (DD 6yrs is at school) i would be prioritised and would be able to take him to the same centre i work at. At this stage i don't need care for him but am unsure long term if he will go into care prior to going to school.
    Hmm the extra info makes me think option 2, just because it gives you better opportunity to be more financially comfortable. If you can use the centre for care for your DS then your DH could also work, giving you more collective earning potential.

I guess it really depends on what's most important to you at this point in time.

Out of you and your DH, who would earn the most working full time? If him, maybe it's better that he goes to work full time and you either take the job for 2 days a week and get childcare for your DS or look for another part time option closer to home that works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Hmm the extra info makes me think option 2, just because it gives you better opportunity to be more financially comfortable. If you can use the centre for care for your DS then your DH could also work, giving you more collective earning potential.

I guess it really depends on what's most important to you at this point in time.

Out of you and your DH, who would earn the most working full time? If him, maybe it's better that he goes to work full time and you either take the job for 2 days a week and get childcare for your DS or look for another part time option closer to home that works for you.
    DH and i have the same qualifications and are both childcare directors. So our earning potential is exactly the same. He has been fulltime director whilst i have been at home with the kids, prior to that we were both fulltime directors. But he recently left his job as he was very unhappy with the company and people he was working for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    DH and i have the same qualifications and are both childcare directors. So our earning potential is exactly the same. He has been fulltime director whilst i have been at home with the kids, prior to that we were both fulltime directors. But he recently left his job as he was very unhappy with the company and people he was working for.
    Ah ok. Hmm, it is a tricky one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Job 2.

I have commuted for work before and, while you do catch up on lots of reading on the train, there are frequent delays and you always take longer than expected. For those 2 days work, you are adding 4-5 hours travel - that's another half a work day! If you end up full time, that will be 10+ hours a week in travel.

I currently work full time, 8 minutes from home, DD's school is mid-way between and DS's daycare is one street from work. I LOVE working close to home and close to DD's school. I work 8-4.30 (sometimes later) and I feel like I get so much time with the kids each day, plus weekends.

DH is currently working full time while we save our house deposit, but I'm now the 'breadwinner'. It is a welcome change for both if us after years of me working part time, studying, maternity etc. Next year he should be able to drop to 2-3 days a week and is also considering further study.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is tough. None of us can tell you what to do but nonetheless I'll tell you my experience.
    I had a job which wasn't perfect but was highly sought after and great niche content area and good pay (average team though). I left after 2 years because I couldn't handle the minimum 45 minute commute each way every day. Before people laugh - I'm in adelaide so travelling times in general are less than the bigger cities! It was getting me down being in the car for 7.5 hrs a week and I couldn't get past the fact that that was a whole extra work day equivalent pretty much that I was losing every week.
    So 2.5 years ago I got a new job 10 minutes from home - same pay, stable, good team but boring. I chose lifestyle over the job. I won't lie - I do miss the old job but not enough to go back to the commuting. For me lifestyle wins out at this stage of my life. My first baby is due in 11 weeks and I can only think that the lifestyle factor will be even more important to me when I go back after mat leave.
    To add another dimension I actually left my city job for 2 x half time part time jobs. The boring permanent one and the other one is a 4 year contract job which I love (my contract ends in 1.5yrs). I'm in the fortunate position of being able to choose which job I go back to after my maternity leave. I'll be going back to the boring permanent job for the security of it as my other contract job may or may not get renewed and I don't want to take the risk. It's a shame as that job I love and it's really hard to get into (once I'm out I'll be out) but I need the security.
    I don't know if that adds anything at all lol but if I was in your position I would go for job 2. You say you haven't heard from them yet - perhaps you can phone them (if you do want that job!) and let them know of the other offer and see if they have made a decision as yet? Good luck, big decision - don't you wish we had a crystal ball in these situations?!