+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lol i love all the mixed responses because at least i know my dilemma is not without cause.
    Hubby could pick up casual relief work through a temp agency easily. But in doing so we would still only just make ends meet. DH wants to study his teaching degree also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Me personally, I'd go job number 1.

Good luck with your decision.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A little more info just to make it harder. The positions are childcare director positions. The closer one means should i ever want/need care for my DS who is nearly 2yrs (DD 6yrs is at school) i would be prioritised and would be able to take him to the same centre i work at. At this stage i don't need care for him but am unsure long term if he will go into care prior to going to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd still stick with job number 1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    A little more info just to make it harder. The positions are childcare director positions. The closer one means should i ever want/need care for my DS who is nearly 2yrs (DD 6yrs is at school) i would be prioritised and would be able to take him to the same centre i work at. At this stage i don't need care for him but am unsure long term if he will go into care prior to going to school.
    This would make me choose 2 in a heartbeat.

Job 1 sounds much more attractive, but there is a lot of ifs and buts around it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, supporting the family financially would be the number 1 priority.

In the situation where your DH doesn't have a reliable and significant source of income and wants to study then the financial reality leans heavily to number 2.

If your DH was in full-time work then I would absolutely do the 2 days at the preferred workplace.

It really sounds like a family decision though. You and your DH both need to be on board and happy with the choices made by both of you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go with number 2, although reluctantly. The most important thing at the moment that I see is financial stability. You can always look at other options later down the track when it's not so scary money-wise, but it's so important to have a steady full-time income you can rely on to pay everything that's needed. You just don't know what can happen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd probably go with job 2, reluctantly but try and be positive and enjoy the extra money! I know money doesn't buy happiness but not having money sure makes things difficult.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was all ready to say that I would choose option 1 in your position - but then I read that it was just a 12 month contract, so instead I would choose option 2. However, I would consider it temporary and would be looking for other, more preferable positions. In my opinion, a pleasant, enjoyable workplace is a must for long term employment - I couldn't work long term in a job/workplace that I didn't really like just because it was close to home (unless I had to/that was the only option).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both jobs i have been told i am the 'preferred candidate' and have been at police clearance stage. Job 1 has just been formally offered to me this afternoon . They would like my answer tomorrow and for me to start Wednesday.
    Job 2 is still pending police clearance, which will come back fine but i don't have the official job offer yet. So I am reluctant to turn job 1 down tomorrow without an official offer from job 2. But i most certainly do not want to start in a position for a few days and then say i have had a better offer.