+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Return to work dilemma

Hi All. I am a long time member but don't post much anymore. I have a bit of a dilemma and am struggling to make a decision so i thought i would ask for some opinions. I know no one can answer for me etc just interested in what others have done or would do.

I am returning to work after 3yrs being a stay at home mum. I have two job offers and can't decide between them.
    One is 2 days a week but an hour commute by train. The people i have met in the management team at this job are lovely and i really clicked with them and felt on board with their values. The pay is really good for my industry but it is only two days a week, with the possibility of picking up extra ad hoc shifts covering leave. it is only a 12 month contract position. If another position comes up in that time they would be a really good company to work for and don't often have positions advertised externally. At 2 days a week DH would also work some part time/casual work and look after our children on the days i am at work. Budget wise we would JUST make ends meet. But if i was to get a full time job in the future with them we would be quite comfortable, i would of course then be commuting everyday though. The two days a week would allow me to have more time with my children and br an easier transition but to work but at a finacial cost to the family.

The other job is 5 mins from home. It doesn't pay nearly as well but it is full time so allows finacial security and we would have a few hundred dollars a fortnight left after bills. My DH would be the full time stay at home parent. The job doesn't offer RDOs and is a lot more work and in a less pleasing environment. If it wasn't so close to home i wouldn't be interested in it. Not having a commute time means i am home nearly an extra 2 hours a day than the other job, but this one is full time.

Thoughts?
    I will add i have never commuted on a regular basis. The commute wiuld be a 15 min walk to the train station, 40min train ride, 5 min walk to work. I have no problem with trains.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd take the one where you have met the management team and they seem lovely.
    Short term, it'll be a giant PITA but long term, if you can secure a full time position there then you will be much better. A happy mum means happy kids.

If you take the one close to home and that is the ONLY benefit to that job, you might find yourself miserable and leaving anyway. This way also your DH can get a job, so if both of you are working it might offset the extra money you would be losing out on if you don't take the full time position.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your DH isn't working, if I were you I would take the full-time position so the family could be comfortable and not stressed over paying bills. Saving a 2 hour commute a day is also a huge advantage short and long term even if the work environment is less pleasant.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first one, definitely!! 40mins on a train is a great commute (you will get used to it) and better than driving IMO, plus you sound so keen and positive about the first one and it has great prospects for the future! No point going back to work and hating every day even if it is full time and close to work. With the first job I would say, tell your manager you are keen to pick up further work and be considered for a full time role in future and I bet soon enough you'll have plenty of work!! That's my 2c any how, Good Luck!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Adoralicious For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would take the first one. Just from reading what you've written I can tell that's your preference. When you've got babies at home, you need a balance, and you have to be happy in your work place. Take the 2 days xox

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first one for sure. Sounds like you will probably be happier there and there may be opportunity for more work- in my experience there always ends up being even more work than you want. Do you have some savings to fall back on if you don't get extra work straight away? I guess this would be a bit of a consideration for me. The commute doesn't sound too bad, sometimes it is good to have that time to "put work away" before you get home.
    Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, if I was in your exact position I would take job 2 as it seems reasons for returning to work are financial ones. Yes management and position sounds better in first one but a commute 2hrs per day twice a week doesn't sound all that bad, BUT when it's every day it will probably become too much??

I have done both, worked far away (drive) and worked 5 mins from home and that extra time with the LO and not spent in a car was fantastic!!

Fingers crossed you find the "right" one for you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Catttc For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I would go for the first option. You seem more happier with that one. An hour (well two) isn't that bad.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DrDrakeRamoray For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If I was in your position- job 2.

I'm saying this with hindsight- I took a job a few months ago that is part-time/casual, and I make $200-400 a week- doesn't even cover rent. DH quit his job 6 weeks ago and we are really struggling. I wish I had taken job 2 which was $850/wk- would have covered rent, bills and left some cash.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

jez  (04-05-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    its hard.

Personally, I would take Job 1 - the satisfaction and growth potential are important factors.

BUT ... it would totally depend on how likely it is that
    - you would get extra hrs or a full time position later
    - your DH will get part time work to make ends meet
    - your position will extend beyond 12 months

and the various other factors.

Its certainly tough without the crystal ball