+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4 month old waking up hourly over night!

My 4 months old boy has been a good sleeper, usually go down at night around 7pm, then a small feed at 1am and 4am, then wakes up for the day around 5:30.
    For the past 2 weeks he's been waking up every 90 min over night. Anyone gone through you before? How did you cope and how long did it last?
    Also any tips on how to get babies to sleep longer in the mornings?
    Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    My 4 months old boy has been a good sleeper, usually go down at night around 7pm, then a small feed at 1am and 4am, then wakes up for the day around 5:30.
    For the past 2 weeks he's been waking up every 90 min over night. Anyone gone through you before? How did you cope and how long did it last?
    Also any tips on how to get babies to sleep longer in the mornings?
    Tia
    4mth sleep regression. It does pass. 2wks to 2mths depending on the kid.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What is his daytime like? What is he doing when he wakes - does he seem to be hungry, does he just want a little cuddle, does he settle quickly? Could he be cold?
    This is a fairly common day for my dd (give or take!) She id also 4 months:
    7am wake & feed
    8am feed
    9-11 sleep
    11 feed
    1230 feed
    130-4 sleep
    4 feed
    6-8 cluster feeding
    8pm-7am asleep.
    She has just dropped to two big day sleeps, but sometimes will have 3-4shorter sleeps, depending on what we are doing. I usually put her in hee bassinet awake & pat her tummy if she cries until she is asleep. Does he settle in his bed? At this age, i find some babies are very aware of their surroundings,and are better going to sleep in the place they are going to wake up - eg, if he goes to sleep in your arms, when he rouses a bit in a sleep cycle, expects to be in your arms again. Could this be the case? Another thing to consider if he is showing readiness (my dd is the same age but definitely not ready) - solids? Good luck, its so tough when youre not getting enough sleep, i hope it doesnt last too long!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, mine was a great sleeper (sleeping 7pm until around 5am) and we hit a bumpy patch at 4 months. It lasted for about a month as he got sick around the same time, but things are back on track now.

I just tried to stick as much to our routine as possible in terms of getting him back to sleep in the middle of the night, rather than getting him up and giving him feeds when he didn't previously need one. Lots of patting/shushing/cuddling/rocking but always putting him back in his bed to settle before he was asleep. Sometimes all it took was putting his dummy in his mouth and gently rubbing his tummy but it was the frequency of the waking that was doing me in, particularly when I'd gotten used to a nice long stretch of unbroken sleep.

We started solids at 4.5 months as bub was always watching us eat and mimicking our mouths moving. It made a difference in terms of his general contentedness and it has pushed his morning feed time out. He's still waking early but just wants to chat/play, he doesn't want his bottle/breakfast until around 6:30am. I'm now working on trying to get him to sleep until then...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a baby who slept 12hrs overnight, rarely getting up to her. Then at 4.5m she stopped sleeping. Every hour she woke up and would take about 45mins to settle, then 15mins later she would wake up. It was hell.

I saw my GP and he said why are you getting up to her? Useless %#}^. I got a referral to a paed but accepted an a different one who was available sooner but was also useless. She said DD2s sleep issues were basically related to her size, apparently she wasn't used to big babies. I wasn't happy so saw a third pead. He actually had a brain, and asked the right questions. DD2 used to spew every 15 mins, just lots of little spews, but was happy and a good sleeper so it hasn't been anything I worried about. She had stopped the spews, which was causing her a belly ache, and why she was waking hourly.

We swapped to goats milk formula, and started reflux meds. She improved soooo much.

There is a sleep regression but if it doesn't stop push till you get answers. Make sure the room is warm enough. She sleeps better in a warm, super dark room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah yes, the 4 month sleep regression/4th wonder week leap. Pinky McKay has a good article about it on her site. It lasted from about 3.5-4.5 months for us, we started cosleeping then so I could immediately get him back to sleep with boob without having to get out of bed.
    He soon went back to only waking 1-3 times a night ...until about 9 months when teeth/separation anxiety/another wonder week leap made for some more crazy nights! But that's also winding down now so it doesn't last forever (and if it does then there might be something else wrong).
    The only way we get DS to sleep longer in the morning is to put him to bed later at night, which I know doesn't work for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds3 regressed temporarily at 4mths. Didn't last long, only a few weeks. He was hungry so I adjusted his feeds and he was back to sleeping his usual 11hrs in no time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had never known about wonder weeks until DD4 came along. All 4 slept 12-14 hours over night from birth but DD4 started waking hourly from 16 weeks. Lasted a long 10 weeks then she was straight back to her normal routine. Just keep doing what you were doing prior and it should pass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only lasted a short while back then but my now 13 month old dd wakes every 11/2 hrs nightly and has for last 7 months if I'm not at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    4 month sleep regression. Don't assume that bub needs a feed everytime bub wakes. Try resettling first. Also the more you pat/feed to sleep the longer the regression mat last.

https://childsleepscience.wordpress....done-about-it/