+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    100 Posts in a week
    DSS is 7 and while he says he has 2 best friends... really he just plays with anyone and those 2 boys just live near him.

DSD is 9 and is similar- her mum claims she has social anxiety and trouble making friendships, but we believe her mum is placing her own issues on DSD's shoulders.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Could you maybe send a note in his bag to give to someone that he wants a playdate with? Put your number on it and get them to pass it on to another Mum. I had someone do this to DS1 at preschool last year as we kept missing each other at pickup and their son really wanted to have a playdate. DS1 was really happy about it too.

I've been fortunate that I can do pick up and drop off at school so I see his friends and can talk to other parents. So far he has 1 friend who he has playdates after school twice a week and he has his best friend who came over in the holidays. He talks about a lot more boys from school and I always see him saying hello or goodbye to them but they haven't done anything outside of school.

Also chasing seems to be a popular game for this age. Does someone else have a turn being "it" after he catches them?

The Kimberley WA
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyJ View Post
    Kaybaby - great advice, I completely agree in the value that sport brings. Last year he did auskick. This year we will enrol him in a few other sports .

Naboo - I hear what you are saying!! x

Blessedwiththreeboys - sounds like your boys handle their friendships well (in terms of fair inclusion of others). I'm still wary of the friendship DS has formed with two others, as it sounds like they may be taunting him a little.

In any case, DS is a happy, confident little boy and looks forward to going to school. Guess I should be thankful for this and give him time 😊
    Do you go to school for drop off and pick up? Talk to other parents? I think this really helps. Perhaps you could organise a coffee with another mum so the kids could have a play.
    But if your ds is happy and likes school he may just need more time. They are all different.

Sydney NSW
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Lucy, before my DS1 started school, we had a parent interview and the teacher said 'don't worry if DS1 doesn't form 'best friend' relationship-boys will all play together and will also want to play with the girls- the girls can sometimes form small girl groups and 'best friend' very early on'- that was her experience as a teacher of 25 years. I am so glad she told me that, as that is exactly what has happened. He's always been very happy, we try to have some play dates, and soccer has been a brilliant sport for my sons, and also for the whole family to enjoy!