+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Did you have to pay for the NAPLAN test?

My SIL told me today she got a bill for $40 for each of her girls to take the year 7 NAPLAN test , her girls are at a private school and never had to pay it at their public primary school so is it normal in high school to pay or is it just this school!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    That is ridiculous! I would be refusing to pay or else exempting my child from the test. I have never heard anything like it.

Was it definitely the NAPLAN or was it something called PAT-M/PAT-R? Because I know that we are only funded to administer that test once but we do it twice a year and wear the cost of the second test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, not normal at the private school where I worked - could be the test harvs mentioned. Sometimes there are extra maths, science, etc competitions through the universities but they used to be cheaper than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    That is ridiculous! I would be refusing to pay or else exempting my child from the test. I have never heard anything like it.

Was it definitely the NAPLAN or was it something called PAT-M/PAT-R? Because I know that we are only funded to administer that test once but we do it twice a year and wear the cost of the second test.
    Definitely NAPLAN, they are ringing the school tomorrow to say the girls are opting out of taking the test as they also think it's a bit rich to charge for the test - will if effect any thing if they don't take the test ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Nope never paid. Seems more than a bit suss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is bizarre. I teach in a private school and we never charged for naplan. Im not 100% but am pretty sure the school does not pay any money to do naplan - it is a government led thing that is compulsory for schools to do, so the government pays -both public and private schools. I dont know why the school would be asking for money for something they get for free?! Perhaps are they asking for $$ so they can buy & do practice tests? Or are you SURE its not another standardised test? A friend of mine swore her kids were doing naplan in reception, it turned out in tje end they were doing a waddington test, lol. Totally different thing, &there are heaps of different standardised tests and competitions etc that schools could enter into. If it is a naplan-related cost, i woulx be interested in what the school is actually charging for. Maybe extra staff to observe or something? So unusual!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I just did some digging for you. It says the test is $45 per student to administer and it's up to the education bodies in each state to decide how to fund it.

So it's possible the school was being charged and they don't want to wear the costs. I would argue that private school fees, compulsory 'donations' and the like would more than cover it.

I am biased because I am intensely anti-NAPLAN but no, there would be no impact to the girls. It shouldn't be used as an isolated assessment tool within the classroom and their teachers should be able to provide evidence of how they are travelling without referring to the test at all.

If they really can't cope with that they could always download last year's test from the website and do it for HW if they want to use it as evidence.

The only thing I can think of is some private schools examine a child's NAPLAN results before accepting them as a student, so that may impact their high school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    That is not normal. I've never heard of anyone paying for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I just did some digging for you. It says the test is $45 per student to administer and it's up to the education bodies in each state to decide how to fund it.

So it's possible the school was being charged and they don't want to wear the costs. I would argue that private school fees, compulsory 'donations' and the like would more than cover it.

I am biased because I am intensely anti-NAPLAN but no, there would be no impact to the girls. It shouldn't be used as an isolated assessment tool within the classroom and their teachers should be able to provide evidence of how they are travelling without referring to the test at all.

If they really can't cope with that they could always download last year's test from the website and do it for HW if they want to use it as evidence.

The only thing I can think of is some private schools examine a child's NAPLAN results before accepting them as a student, so that may impact their high school?
    They just started high school there so that won't be a problem!
    She asked me to ask my other friends with kids at private schools if they were charged and they all said no so Yeh maybe it's just this school trying to get the extra $? I thought the test was a state thing they make all the schools do so I thought it was odd they charge the parents to do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Sorry I forgot they were already at high school.

Yep I wouldn't be paying for that and would exempt my children on philosophical grounds. Or keep them home those days.