+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Travel sickness in babies?

Just wondering at what age babies can develop motion sickness? My ds1 is 17 months and in the last week he's vomited twice in the car for seemingly no reason (no other episodes of vomiting or diarrhoea). I am very sensitive to motion sickness myself and remember having it as a child but I wasn't sure at what age they can develop it?

I'm hoping it's not as we really want to keep him rear facing for as long as possible but I'm wondering if this could be one of the problems!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure sorry, but if it is, phenergan might help (it is also for motion sickness)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See a behavioural optometrist and rule out an eye issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD started getting motion sickness sround that age... it sucked because we travelled quite a lot, living in a remote area. We ended up having to used medication. ..or end up with a stinky car full of vomit...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. My dads an optometrist so I was planning to get his eyes checked when he was about 2 anyway so I guess it's worth doing that. We will see how things go, I'm hoping it's just a bug but it seems to fit in with travel sickness as he does absolutely hate the car and often goes into complete meltdown which I'm wondering is because he feels sick. The actual vomiting episodes have happened when he's been calm though so don't think it's because he's getting worked up.

I'm going to gp this week so will ask her and see if I can try some meds if things continue. Oh and I've already ordered some waterproof car seat covers! Poor little mite!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my DD was really little she would become awfully quiet in the car...too quiet...start getting a bit a bit pale..then..puke. Almost no warning. Obviously she was too little to verbalise that she was feeling unwell. She would often fall asleep after vomiting for a while....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure my DD is getting it. We first started noticing around 25 months she was spewing in the car. Her triggers seem to be watching DVDs for long periods of time on long car trips, so we're limiting the amount of DVDs she watches in the car particularly if she feels sick. Milky drinks/ yoghurt seem to come up quickly so we don't have any of those if we've got a car trip coming up. And if she says she feels sick or starts acting strange we pull over right away and put a bag under her mouth! Poor kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the first questions we ask during a kids optometry consult is if they suffer from travel sickness

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SHAELEEJANE For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (06-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got him booked in for an eye test on Friday so let's see if that's the problem.