+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Expressing from 37 weeks

Hey I just wanted some tips from anyone who hand expressed during end of pregnancy. I found the first week of bf very hard last time and found my milk didn't properly come in until about 5-6 days. This time i thought it might be useful to have some spare milk in case I have probs again and I can supplement baby a bit at the beginning if needed. (Also I might be having elective c section so might take longer for milk to come in).

My questions are :-

Do you just use 1 ml syringes or can you collect a few days into a larger syringe/container?

Do you then freeze them?

When you go into labour and hospital do you give the milk to midwives to put in freezer or just let it defrost?

Also did anyone manage to express much or is it not worth trying?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey OP!

I hand expressed from 37 weeks but collected milk from around 35 weeks. When I was pregnant was DD I started leaking at around 15 weeks.

I collected it in sterile containers from the chemist and then sucked it into 5ml syringes with caps and froze them. The syringes with caps were given to me by the midwives when I mentioned leaking at one of my appointments.

We put all the syringes in a freezer bag with ice blocks and stored them in a freezer at the hospital. I'm stored so much now even at 12mo DD can have a syringe of colostrum when she gets sick!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (03-05-2015),nh2489  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I sooooo highly recommend antenatal expressing. It was so helpful to me in many ways.
    I collected in syringes (some 1ml and some 3 and 5ml). In total I had about 30mls. This doesn't sound like heaps but it was plenty. I store it in the freezer.

Good luck. X

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did it from 36 weeks as I had GD and it was recommended I do it in case the baby needed some at birth for low blood sugar, but wasn't really able to get that much. Plus DS came at 37+2. The breastfeeding support unit at the hospital gave me syringes to use and store in the freezer. Even though I didn't get much, my milk came in very quickly in hospital, even after having a c-section.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hand expressed from 37 weeks. I used 10ml syringes and these little salad dressing cups. I would express either into the cup, then suck it up with they syringe and freeze it, or sometimes straight into the syringe. I got quite good at it by the time baby was born at 41+3. I was getting between 5-7mls a session. I froze it. Took a couple of syringes to hospital and we put them in the fridge in out birth suite. DH gave dd expressed colostrum as her first meal as I was in theatre. My milk came in on day 4 and I ended up throwing a heap of colostrum out because I had so much! I'll be doing it again next pregnancy. It was so reassuring to know we had food in the freezer for her if things got stressful.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Snowman For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had low supply with my first even though my milk came in quite quickly. I tried to express (hand and manual pump) before I had my 2nd and couldn't get a drop. Milk came in by day 2 with him but I again had low supply (think my boobs are duds ).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (03-05-2015)