+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you discipline your kids?

I need some help.

My kids are feral 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Step sons both around the 10yo mark loose privileges. Depending on level of misbehavior it could range from no dessert (for mucking around at the dinner table ect) to TV/Xbox/ipad privileges to all toys and electronics (only had to do that one once so far lol our car boot was FULL!) Time ranges vary aswell but I always set a time whether its just that day or 3 days or more because I feel like if its undisclosed then when they get it back they feel like they won out because I could have kept items longer if that makes sence?? If bad behavior continues time gets added on. If fighting they get separated and loose privileges.
    They also get rewarded for good behavior. Do some extra chores without being asked and we might get a soft serve cone from maccas or I'll take them to the skate park for an extra hour.

DD who is almost 2 - Eh I'm struggling there. Im no help for this age.
    Last edited by RaraMum; 02-05-2015 at 06:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 2 and we use the timeout bench. It's very effective and so far, we've only needed to enforce it a few times a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    2 yo & 1 yo I'm really struggling it's bringing anger out on me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 2 & 4 yo & Ive used time out from about 18 months (they sit on a circle mat/ on a chair in the same room as i am in for 1 min per year of age.) I know that some people really disagree with this method, but Ive found that if I get lax and stop disciplining well, I end up shouting and getting frustrated & the kids can just be horrible. I find it takes so much effort, but its really worth it if Im not getting frustrated &shouting, which I really hate doing. I usually say 'stop xyz behaviour. If you do it again, you will sit in time out.' Then if it continues, its time out. If they scream or shout or whatever, i completely ignore it. After time out, they say sorry & have a cuddle. I often go through times when I realise that I have to work on discipline, things seem to get out of control very easily. I find it really hard to be calm and consistent

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I have a 2 & 4 yo & Ive used time out from about 18 months (they sit on a circle mat/ on a chair in the same room as i am in for 1 min per year of age.) I know that some people really disagree with this method, but Ive found that if I get lax and stop disciplining well, I end up shouting and getting frustrated & the kids can just be horrible. I find it takes so much effort, but its really worth it if Im not getting frustrated &shouting, which I really hate doing. I usually say 'stop xyz behaviour. If you do it again, you will sit in time out.' Then if it continues, its time out. If they scream or shout or whatever, i completely ignore it. After time out, they say sorry & have a cuddle. I often go through times when I realise that I have to work on discipline, things seem to get out of control very easily. I find it really hard to be calm and consistent
    How do you get them to stay there? We keep trying time out but I think we are missing something

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RaraMum View Post
    How do you get them to stay there? We keep trying time out but I think we are missing something
    Also interested in this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6yo is pretty good most of the time.
    Consequences for bad behaviour is usually no stories at bedtime, night light taken away or earlier bedtime. I've only had to threaten these things and he behaves though.
    But he hates TV and electronics so i cant use the no technology consequence.

My step-kids fight a bit with each other so if they are going feral we usually make them have 30 mins timeout in their bedrooms or early bedtime.

Monnie what sort of things are they doing ?
    You need to find their currency, be it fav toy, gaming, TV, playdates with friends and use that as a consequence.

Another option is to figure out the times they are going feral and direct them to do something else or take them to a park or walking track to burn off some energy.

ETA.. Just realised yours are only 1yo and 2yo, my kids are a bit older so those things wont work.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 02-05-2015 at 13:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RaraMum View Post
    I just say 'stay here in time out until mummy says you can go play' & theyve always just stayed there.... protesting vocally, lol, but they dont move. Perhaps having a physical thing like a chair or mat helps,rather than just a space in the room? If they did get up, my plan was always to return them to the spot and say something like 'no, you are in time out', so maybe that would work? Sorry, not much help,they seemed to pick up the idea pretry quickly. Mayne a portacot in the room, or even a highchair or something if they are littler?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used 1,2, 3 magic for time outs. The book is brilliant! For misbehaviour etc
    And loss of toys etc when refusing to put things away
    Works a treat

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kriista For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (03-05-2015)