+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    How big is the problem of sahps utilising childcare? I've only heard about it online, not irl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    How big is the problem of sahps utilising childcare? I've only heard about it online, not irl.
    Many young mums that I know have used childcare since their child was 1ish, generally 1 or 2 days a week, but I don't know any older sahms that do.

I don't like aiming things specifically at young mums, considering I'm one too, but it's something that I've noticed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know heaps of SAHM and none that I'm aware of have ever used day care , most send their kids to pre school like me for 2 days a week when their kids are 3 and 4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My kids have always attended childcare at least 1-2 days a week and i am a sahm. And I will continue to do so.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-05-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Many young mums that I know have used childcare since their child was 1ish, generally 1 or 2 days a week, but I don't know any older sahms that do.

I don't like aiming things specifically at young mums, considering I'm one too, but it's something that I've noticed.
    See I've never come across this. Though most mums in my area are on the older side but of the young mums I know they are all studying or working anyway.

I worry that people working part time will miss out if the work/study criteria is too strict. I think it's important parents are able to keep "their foot in the door" of work/study so once their children are older they can participate more in the workforce. It is so difficult to get a job if you have been out of the workforce for a couple of years. I know I plan to work much more once my kids are older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think SAHMs should still receive rebates for Kindy programmes in daycare centres because as it is there are wait lists for C&K/govt run kindys, and it would just be harder/put more pressure on kindergartens, no?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im a SAHM and have never utilised childcare for my kids and never will.

I think changes need to be made but not a complete exclusion of child care for non workers.

Exclusions being
    Kindy
    Studying
    Looking for work
    Due to mental health issues. Even if a doctors form was enough for clearance.
    Also I don't think there should be a minimum working hours. If someone works 3hours they should get their 1 day subsidized! Some people have no other form of childcare so would have to not work instead.

I know of a lot of people that don't work and abuse the system and that needs to stop but a lot if not most have a genuine reason and need for child care.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Cardi  (02-05-2015),Star Light  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also working parents DO get preference over non workings on waiting lists.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (02-05-2015),munchkin275  (02-05-2015),Pmakes3  (02-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-05-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I sent my DD to childcare 1 day a week from when she was 13 months old and I for all intents and purposes I was a SAHM.

I don't have a village, there's just me, DH, DS and DD. We have no extended family. Sending DD to child care 1 day a week meant that DD and DS would have an overlap year together at child care (DS was doing his Kindy year there). To have one day a week where I could do house work, house maintenance, run errands, make phone calls etc made me able to be a better mother the other 6 days of the week. I spent a lot of those days doing up part of our very dilapidated house into a playroom for the kids.

Having access to childcare for many SAHP is a huge mental health benefit. The knock on effect of removing accessibility is going to be disastrous for some SAHP and children. If we want to be proactive about mental health management then this is a perfect example of a facility in place that does just that.

Just because I put my DD into child care 1 day a week does not mean I want to work. I wanted to be a SAHM, but it's tough and all SAHMs need support. For those of us that don't have natural support networks (eg friends and family close by to help out) then child care is our village. Take away the village and you've just isolated a whole bunch of people doing the most important job in the world.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (02-05-2015),Gracie's Mum  (02-05-2015),onionskin  (02-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter gets so much out of her kindy program. Its absolutely amazing and without rebates it would mean she could only go 1 day a week or not at all. That would be so detrimental to her growth and development as its where she interacts with her peers and learns vital skills getting her ready for prep and school. I think it is so unfair to take that privilege away from children who are entitled to an early education. Its vital in my opinion.

There are lots of mums who have little to no support as well and that 1 day a week of childcare might be what gets her through the week.

It will be very sad if this goes ahead 😣