+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    maybe its nothing nefarious - maybe it's about cutting funding to parents who don't work..so that funding to parents who do work doesn't have to be reduced? (Ie so that childcare for working parents remains affordable).
    The issue for me is that lots of working mums with small children are paying little to no tax with the 16k tax free threshold. Just like SAHM's are not paying it. They are then getting 7500 in rebates. I'm going to be clear that I support that, but if we are looking at this from a purely financial position both are not contributing a lot financially to the coffers. I know people will say we want women to stay in work..... but really, a woman that goes back 15 hours a week paying little to no tax until school age and a SAHM that goes back to work FT at school age... is there really a difference? The working mum may get promoted in that time but during the early years they often aren't working FT anyway so probably won't be much above the SAHM anyway.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fund CCR. Far from that, I think it's totally worthwhile. I just feel like maybe we are overestimating the financial contributions of working mum vs SAHM to the tax payer in the early years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From a financial point of view, it makes sense that some people contribute more than what they get back and vice-versa.

And you know what? You are much better off on that side of the fence too.

What matters to me is how Australia is treating it's youngest generation. How we are looking out for them.

The more I think about it the more I realize that children seem to be second class citizen in this country.

Why wouldn't a country chose to invest as much as it can in its future asset is beyond me?

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (01-05-2015),Busy-Bee  (02-05-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (02-05-2015),MrsSS  (01-05-2015),Pmakes3  (02-05-2015),rainbow road  (02-05-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby isn't due for another month so I haven't had to deal with CC yet. But I just checked out the centres near my house - $125 per day. What the..? Now I understand what the fuss is about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When will this take effect?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a mum who works full time and drives an extra 25 minutes to get my child into the only available centre I could find (and yes, I put my name down as soon as I found out I was pregnant), I somewhat support this. I sacrifice precious time that I would love to be spending with my child for numerous reasons which I won't go into. Im all for 1 or perhaps 2 days a week for SAHMs, but I lose precious time with my child commuting them to daycare. There needs to be more incentive for those of us that do go back full time work (without being made to feel guilty like I already do).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lolz83 For This Useful Post:

Aanya  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there much of a difference in a child who has been to childcare and a child that hasn't, looks to me like there is benefits of both and that kids seems to catch up/even out in the first couple of years of primary anyway. I couldn't point to a 10 year old and know whether they were a childcare kid or not, can you? If not then isn't childcare just more about 'care' for parents to participate in other activities, than it is about children's education or development.

It would be great if childcare was free for every child, and clothes, and food and everything else that you may need or want for your child but unfortunately the government isn't in a position to pay for everything, even if they believe it is valuable. Parents have to weigh up the benefits and costs of using childcare.

If more generous subsidies can be provided for those who are working and need care, I think that is great. Even if it has some impact on those who are putting their children in care for the child's benefit. It would be nice if costs weren't $100 + per day and if childcare was just free for all but we are not in an environment where that is possible right now so anything that can be done to better target the subsidies will have to do for now. As I said earlier, let's hope they come up with something that has a positive effect and they get it right this time so we are not talking about how ridiculous childcare costs/availability is in another 5 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all of the replies. To me this seems to be government "encouraging" sahms to return to the workforce.
    I'm not defending it, but that's what it sounds like to me.
    It's like the ads on at the moment with Dr Karl about the future of Australia and our ageing population and diminishing workforce. Even Dr Karl says in the ads that we need to look at encouraging women into the workforce.
    I don't think this is the way to do it though, at least not as a stand alone policy and without knowing the complete ins and outs of this policy.
    It's impossible to say how this will actually work from a press release

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    CCB is 30% rebate, CCR is 50%. CCB is means tested I think at around 100k for a household? You get 2 days a week subsidised. After that you pay full fees.

Pre school is a huge issue for me. With these changes I can't afford, as a SAHM, to use CC. I can handle that as I don't have PND. But pre school has become a need, not a want. What is going to happen is the children of working mothers will go to pre school, the children of SAHM's mostly won't. I see that as discriminatory.
    I can't see that happening. Proper preschools only do school hours and school terms, so not compatible for many working mums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this actually going ahead? Or is it just talks?
    Internally, I'm screaming. Loudly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Is this actually going ahead? Or is it just talks?
    Internally, I'm screaming. Loudly.
    Its only a proposal at this stage, and the opposition aren't supporting it. So there's a fair chance it will be watered down before it's actually implemented.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (04-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-05-2015)