+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Pfft. I have always kept my kids in daycare when I was on maternity leave. Why? To bond with the new baby and because getting one child into daycare was ok, but trying to get a vacant spot for 2 kids would've been difficult enough. I even had 3 kids in daycare for 18 months and it would've been impossible to find a spot for all my 3 kids if I didn't keep the other 2 in daycare whilst I was on maternity leave.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 02-05-2015 at 18:43.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (02-05-2015),Gentoo  (02-05-2015),MrsSS  (03-05-2015),VicPark  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    FT working Mums dont get a day to themselves to "make phone calls, clean their toy rooms or go to appointments" in order to "be a better Mum". Not every working parent only works PT.

Im with VP, its a needs vs wants issue for me.. Admittedly being in the process of finding my son a FT spot at CC in Inner Sydney has me feeling pretty stressed about the whole process-so im a bit bias based on my situation!
    i work 3 days and I love adult conversation, eating my lunch in peace, going to the toilet alone.
    I do often make phone calls on those days as well. I can call in to get groceries after work so I don't have to take 3 kids.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-05-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Pfft. I have always kept my kids in daycare when I was on maternity leave. Why? To bond with the new baby and because getting one child into daycare was ok, but trying to get a vacant spot for 2 kids would've been difficult enough. I even had 3 kids in daycare for 18 months and it would've been impossible to find a spot for all my 3 kids if I didn't keep the other 2 in daycare whilst I was on maternity leave.
    I was advised by numerous professionals to keep the children routine the same on arrival of a new baby.
    Especially childcare routine.

Anyway childcare availability is another issue all together. Yes we lack spots in inner cities.
    Rather than kicking people out of care why not create more centers?! That's where the gvt should focus their work and attention.

It's disgraceful to try and feed the SAHM vs working mum feud.

I'm a working mum and support 100000% that non working parents have the same access than I to childcare services.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-05-2015),delirium  (03-05-2015),MrsSS  (03-05-2015),Nasim2  (02-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    i work 3 days and I love adult conversation, eating my lunch in peace, going to the toilet alone.
    I do often make phone calls on those days as well. I can call in to get groceries after work so I don't have to take 3 kids.
    You're lucky, I work 5 days and apart from getting to go to the toilet alone I don't have the rest of the luxuries

8. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

lolz83  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work 4 days as the family day care my son is in only operates monday to thursday, so i dropped a day of work when i went back after maternity leave. This suits me as i wanted him in this particular fdc and i get to spend fridays with him while dh is at work. I don't get "time to myself". Pregnant with number 2 now and not sure what I'll do if there's no spots at the fdc for this one too, or how much subsidy we will get with the proposed changes and if we will even be able to afford childcare anymore. I may have to work nights. we can't afford for me to not go back to work either way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    You're lucky, I work 5 days and apart from getting to go to the toilet alone I don't have the rest of the luxuries
    I know that feeling! Some days I get to go to the toilet once. Some days.
    I scoff my morning tea and lunch in one short break at 1030am, because I know I won't get time for a lunch break. And as for adult conversation.... I talk all day long, but cognitively sound people or people who have a full understanding of english so that I can actually have a conversation with them, are hard to come by at my work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I didn't find this to be the case. When I was looking for a daycare for DS I called at least 10 daycare centers and not one of them asked me if I was working.
    This could be because they already had a huge waitlist.

Our daycare doesn't ask over the phone, but once you go and fill out waitlist forms etc they then look at that then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default No more subsidised childcare for non-working parents?

Deleted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I make phone calls during my lunch break, before I start work or after work. I can call in to supermarket before picking my kids up. I'm a teacher, so have to do everything outside of class time, even toilet breaks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm stressing about this. My kids get rebate and I'm on disability pension. So I won't get rebate? So even people studying.

I actually have anxiety 😳

15. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (03-05-2015)