+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    FT working Mums dont get a day to themselves to "make phone calls, clean their toy rooms or go to appointments" in order to "be a better Mum". Not every working parent only works PT.

Im with VP, its a needs vs wants issue for me.. Admittedly being in the process of finding my son a FT spot at CC in Inner Sydney has me feeling pretty stressed about the whole process-so im a bit bias based on my situation!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

lolz83  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I haven't read all the replies so I hope I'm not repeating, but here are my thoughts:

What about a situation where a mother who has been on maternity leave is able to secure only one day per week of CC initially for her return to work? She may end up in an impossible situation - she can't afford full fees, doesn't qualify for the subsidy because she's not working enough hours, but can't work more hours because she can't get another day of CC. Most people I know have initially taken only one day because that's all that was available. Then, once they were in they got priority for extra days as spaces became available. At some centres, that's the only way to get more than 1 day per week. What then? People wait forever until they can secure 2 days at once? And what about when a space becomes available several months before someone is due to return to work? Either they have to go back early, give up the spot, or pay full fees? It seems really unfair.

And what about someone who loses their job? What do they do while they're looking for work? Suddenly having young children at home full time would make it a bit difficult to find another job and then when they do find a job, how will they secure childcare? In the meantime, the children have been pulled out of a CC program that they may have loved and been very happy in.

On the other hand, as soon as you allow things like "looking for work" or "setting up a business" as part of the activity test, it's far too easy for parents who don't work to claim the subsidy. What will qualify as "looking for work"? If I send out 20 resumes a week for jobs I know I'll never get and have no interest in anyway, am I looking for work? On paper, it looks like I'm genuinely trying to find a job. It's quite difficult to scrutinise. So either you cut off parents genuinely looking for work, which obviously sucks, or it is used as a loophole for parents who stay home to claim the subsidy. Same with setting up a business. Anyone with a hobby can register a business name and there you go you're working towards setting up a business. New businesses often don't make money on the first few years and many never get off the ground. It's quite difficult to check without individually scrutinising each case so again you either cut off people genuinely trying to set up a business or you have another potential loophole.

I understand what they are trying to do, but really CC is more than just child minding. What ever happened to early childhood education? So that's only valid if a child's parents' work? Children who have non working parents don't deserve early leaning?

And let's not even talk about that fact that I bet the new subsidy will be means tested. Let's leave that for a whole other thread.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-05-2015),dollypops  (02-05-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (02-05-2015),VicPark  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Also working parents DO get preference over non workings on waiting lists.
    They are supposed to but you don't need to proove you are working. My local daycare have many unworking mothers that have their children in daycare numerous days a week when there are working mothers on the waitlist not able to return to work because of unavailablility. I have been in this predicament and it is frustrating especially with only 1 daycare in town. I'm a SAHM at the moment and withdrew ds2 from daycare when I commenced maternity leave because I don't think it's fair to utilise a spot when I don't need to, while I'm at home I will look after my children, that's what I'm home for. I live remote, no family to rely on but I'm capable of looking after my own children while I'm not working, I don't get the whole 'I need a break' arguement. If I wasn't capable I wouldn't have had 3 children. I would have gone back to work earlier this time for financial reasons but can't due to unavailability, ds3 won't have a spot at daycare until later in the year so i looked around for after hours work and got 4 positions I applied for, so i have taken 2 of them working arvo/nights so I am working 2 positions. All in all though I think the changes are fair, the system needed an overhaul.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

lolz83  (03-05-2015),Star Light  (03-05-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    FT working Mums dont get a day to themselves to "make phone calls, clean their toy rooms or go to appointments" in order to "be a better Mum". Not every working parent only works PT.
    You're right, they don't but at least at work they can be themselves. Most people would also be able to pop out at lunch break for an appointment and they wouldn't be spending their entire brain capacity on looking after a baby/toddler. They also most likely wouldn't have as bigger need to do housework and clean up after the kids simply because they are not at home during the day to make a mess. I get how hard it is to be a full time working parent with a young child (or more), I've did it for 3 years with my DS. I also get how hard it is to be a SAHM, especially when you have no one outside your home that can

My point is that removing access to the currently available 1-2 days per week of subsidised child care is for many of us, removing our village, our means of support. Many of us do not have a single, solitary person who can baby sit for us for even an hour a month. Nothing.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-05-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (02-05-2015),MrsSS  (03-05-2015),SoThisIsLove  (03-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-05-2015),VicPark  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Many of us do not have a single, solitary person who can baby sit for us for even an hour a month. Nothing.
    This is us too. This parenting thing is bloody stressful! I wish there was a handbook and we all had the options available we needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    You're right, they don't but at least at work they can be themselves. Most people would also be able to pop out at lunch break for an appointment and they wouldn't be spending their entire brain capacity on looking after a baby/toddler. They also most likely wouldn't have as bigger need to do housework and clean up after the kids simply because they are not at home during the day to make a mess. I get how hard it is to be a full time working parent with a young child (or more), I've did it for 3 years with my DS. I also get how hard it is to be a SAHM, especially when you have no one outside your home that can

My point is that removing access to the currently available 1-2 days per week of subsidised child care is for many of us, removing our village, our means of support. Many of us do not have a single, solitary person who can baby sit for us for even an hour a month. Nothing.
    Last week at work I was talking with a colleague, a fellow mum. We both said how work is a break for us from the kids and that break makes us better mummies. A pregnant colleague piped in and said she's working up until week 38 because being at work is easier than being at home with her toddler - she can go to the toilet and eat lunch by herself for starters...

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-05-2015),Crazyfiasco  (02-05-2015),harvs  (02-05-2015),MrsSS  (03-05-2015),SoThisIsLove  (03-05-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    They are supposed to but you don't need to proove you are working. My local daycare have many unworking mothers that have their children in daycare numerous days a week when there are working mothers on the waitlist not able to return to work because of unavailablility. I have been in this predicament and it is frustrating especially with only 1 daycare in town. I'm a SAHM at the moment and withdrew ds2 from daycare when I commenced maternity leave because I don't think it's fair to utilise a spot when I don't need to, while I'm at home I will look after my children, that's what I'm home for. I live remote, no family to rely on but I'm capable of looking after my own children while I'm not working, I don't get the whole 'I need a break' arguement. If I wasn't capable I wouldn't have had 3 children. I would have gone back to work earlier this time for financial reasons but can't due to unavailability, ds3 won't have a spot at daycare until later in the year so i looked around for after hours work and got 4 positions I applied for, so i have taken 2 of them working arvo/nights so I am working 2 positions. All in all though I think the changes are fair, the system needed an overhaul.
    I know that you have worked extremely hard to have the life that you do. You have a great work ethic and clearly prioritise your family at all times.

Please be aware that comments like the above - 'I don't get the whole 'I need a break' argument. If I wasn't capable I wouldn't have had three children.' - can alienate many fragile women who are struggling, who also work hard, who also adore their family but worry that they feel incapable at times. People who, like you, have no support but aren't taking it in their stride as you seem to take everything in your stride.

I know what you have stated is your opinion, and you pride yourself on your honesty and directness, but these sort of comments can impact others in a way that you possibly haven't experienced personally and so may not have insight into.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (02-05-2015),Crazyfiasco  (02-05-2015),LoveLivesHere  (02-05-2015),Pmakes3  (03-05-2015),SheWarrior  (03-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Also working parents DO get preference over non workings on waiting lists.
    I didn't find this to be the case. When I was looking for a daycare for DS I called at least 10 daycare centers and not one of them asked me if I was working.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

lolz83  (03-05-2015)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not being able to see past the end of your own nose must be so blissful.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (03-05-2015),btmacxxx  (02-05-2015),Busy-Bee  (02-05-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (02-05-2015),Lauzy  (02-05-2015),LoveLivesHere  (02-05-2015),Pmakes3  (03-05-2015),snowqu33n  (03-05-2015),SoThisIsLove  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I just wanted to add - I thought the whole point of the national quality standards for CC was on the basis the childcare was more than just babysitting and quality CC was supposed to be beneficial for early development...

Yet when we're talking about the subsidy it's all about CC not being needed unless you work and children who don't go to CC are not missing out on anything. Well then what is the point of CC workers all having degrees and being "educators" not babysitters?? Why not just have a bunch of sweet ladies who like children staff CC centres - wouldn't that be cheaper?

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (02-05-2015),MrsSS  (03-05-2015),Renn  (02-05-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-05-2015)