+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wwyd?

You see your 2.5yr old boy head-butt your 9 month old baby girl. She is already crying, tired and hungry and crawling over to you on the kitchen floor and you, having finished preparing afternoon tea, have just turned around to pick her up.

I like having natural consequences for most undesired behaviour but there are some instances where I'm just lost. Like this instance today. Just wondering what other mums would have done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who was doing the crying and crawling?

Honestly would depend on my patience level that day. If I was at an all time high and super awesome I would seperate, explain why we don't do that and when the toddler had calmed get the toddler to apologise. If at normal levels I would be grumpy and safely drop toddler in safe area and say we don't hurt others.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

RaraMum  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Who was doing the crying and crawling?

Honestly would depend on my patience level that day. If I was at an all time high and super awesome I would seperate, explain why we don't do that and when the toddler had calmed get the toddler to apologise. If at normal levels I would be grumpy and safely drop toddler in safe area and say we don't hurt others.
    Baby girl. Already feeling miserable and her darling brother makes things worse by connecting his head with hers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Be kind to yourself. The 2.5 year old is learning too - I know it is frustrating to handle though. You can't drop everything all day. Hugs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

debsch  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure. My first thought though is to point out the natural consequences e.g. "oh look, now she's really upset. I think you hurt her. Do you think she might feel better if you give her a cuddle?" etc. Usually what I go for when my daughter (2.5) hurts someone...it tends to work with her.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

debsch  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Wwyd?

I would treat it as any other breaking of our key house rules (no hitting, punching, biting, ripping books etc). My toddler would be put in the corner where we would explain what he did was wrong, he would stay for 3 minutes, say sorry at the end (after we again went over the house rules and explain how baby brother was hurt.). He would have to give his baby brother a kiss. All quick and immediate.

I would try not to yell although depending on my mood at the time I could probably get very close!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

debsch  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Wwyd?

Pick up 9mo and over cuddle her, overly nice etc while totally ignoring DS.

I'm a big fan of ignoring unwanted behavior as toddlers crave for attention.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

debsch  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has done similar to his baby brother, usually I *try* to be calm and say 'no that's not nice, you've hurt him, would you like it if someone head butted you?' And he usually replies 'no' and then I say 'well ds2 also doesn't like it, it hurts!'

I don't force an apology and I also don't force cuddles etc. I do suggest it but I try to let him decide. He usually does say sorry and gives a cuddle and a kiss.

If I have little patience, I pick baby up and cuddle etc and say similar to above to ds1 but usually in a stronger louder tone of voice. And I also take away a favourite toy or something to that effect. I also explain why I've taken said toy.

I am not the best at being consistent though, I try, but my mood plays a big part in how I react.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

debsch  (04-05-2015)