+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default Quick healthy meal ideas

I'm searching for meal and snack ideas that are healthy, preferably low-carb (I have an addiction problem), whole foods, and family friendly (so sorry- that rules out things like tofu or mung beans )

I really struggle for breakfast ideas (been having the same thing every day for the past 16 months!) and quick lunches (ready in 5-10 minutes).

I carry a lot of weight on my belly and apart from it being unsightly I am fully aware that it is the most dangerous art if the body to carry extra weight so now is the time to change my ways. (Plus the fact I am getting married next year is another good motivator!)

Please, please share any ideas you have- and recipes too, please!

So far I have:

Breakfast:
    Eggs and bacon, no toast
    Porridge. I have always added honey but would love ideas on what others use to add flavour.

Lunch:
    Soup. Requires being organised and always having some on hand or spending my morning cooking which is ok while I'm a sahm but eventually someone has to want to employ me
    Baked beans. Aware that the sauce is probably high in sugar though.
    Eggs. Scrambled or poached. Maybe on a piece of multigrain whole meal toast.

Dinner. Various ideas. Not so bad coming up with what to eat although will welcome any other ideas.

Snacks. Fruit. Nuts. Veg sticks. Water.

Also: flavoured waters- does anyone make and drink them, and if so what are your favourites? Eg cucumber and lemon etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My go to lunches are:
    Soup - I just got into the habit of freezing one or two me sized portions every time I made soup and just built up a stash.
    Rice cakes or corn thins with WW cottage cheese, cream cheese or avocado and then topped with things like tomato, tuna, crumbled feta etc...
    Mountain bread wraps - toasted in winter
    Salads

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    One of my favourite breakfasts is overnight oats. A good recipe is 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon chia seeds and 1 teaspoon honey. I leave it in the fridge overnight then top it with berries in the morning. I sometimes add honey if the berries are a bit tangy. Another favourite breakfast is greek yogurt topped with granola (this recipe is great: http://www.danielchurchill.com.au/bl...made-granola#t) and berries.

Lunches I usually have leftovers from the night before, or if there are none, I keep frittatas and other easy-freeze foods in the freezer.

Snacks I sometimes make low sugar muesli bars or low-carb / grain free cake-type things, but mostly I'm too lazy so just eat fruit, yogurt or raw nuts.

Have a look at Dan Churchill's website, I have his book and he has some really great recipes in there and I think most are on the website.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about mushrooms (fried in a little butter and salt and pepper) for breakfast with a piece of wholegrain toast, or muesli (bircher - make the night before)

Lunch is usually a sandwich or a tin of tuna with a packet of steamfresh veg with a few cashews and almonds thrown in on top - or leftovers from the night before.

I do lots of soups in the slow cooker for dinners or wet meat dishes (I try to skip the mash/rice though...)

For snacks lately I have been making paleo muffins and adjusting the recipe depending on what fruit I have (ripe bananas, frozen mango or pumpkin).

the only flavoured water I do is citrus (depending on what I have excess of - this week it is mandarins!)

I am always starving hungry... and overweight so am probably not much help - hope you can take something from the above.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh one of my other favourite things either for lunch or breakfast or even as a side for dinner is sautéed mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and baby spinach - really quick and really yummy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (01-05-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Following. Need some new ideas to keep myself and dh interested in eating healthy

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my favourite lunches is sardines with sweet potato or pumpkin. Sounds weird, and I didn't really like sardines before I tried this, but they are so good (and cheap).
    1 tin sardines (I like Brunswick sardines in olive oil)
    1 cup sweet potato or pumpkin cut into slices (not super thin) can leave skin on if you like
    1/4 red onion
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 lemon (cut in half again)
    1 small chilli finely chopped
    Little bit of thyme
    Put sweet potato/ pumpkin in oven for 15mins at 200C
    Then add everything else (I take bones out of sardines, but you don't have to) and cook for further 12 mins.
    You squeeze the hot lemon over the top at the end.
    If you google Helmsley and Helmsley there are loads of healthy recipes on their website, I also like Well Nourished for recipes

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When my DH first went GF we struggled with brekkies as GF bread is like dishwashing sponge. We started having four bean mix fried in a tiny bit of olive oil with garlic and spinach/silver beet, plus a fried or boiled egg. Yes, it's carbs but they are low GI so you stay fuller for longer.

I'm a big fan of Bircher muesli made with Greek yoghurt, grated apple, sultanas and topped with either almonds, walnuts or seeds.

Lunches I generally make up big batches of veggie soups and freeze them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This just came up on my Facebook. How very timely with this thread

http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrit...e+weight,26020

16. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts