+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Choosing books to read

I was going to put this in an existing thread but realized I was asking a pretty broad question so I'm starting a new thread

Ive got a question for you all- how do you decide what you want to read? Do you 'research' a book before you read it? I had a guy come into the library today asking what review sites were best to find books that he would like, and I was a bit stumped because he was sort of coming at it from a position of 'I want to make absolutely sure I'll like something before I read it' whereas I never read reviews of books before I read the book so it doesn't bias my reading. I'll delve into most things and if I'm not enjoying it I'll turf it fairly quickly.
    But then I realized I'm not much different as I tend to stick to authors I know, or pick books that have a lot of 'buzz' about them when published, or are shortlisted for awards.
    So what about you?
    Do you pick a book by its cover? Does the storyline have to really grab you?
    Do you stick to one genre?
    Do you only read books that have been personally recommended?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good Reads is one site that you could recommend.
    https://www.goodreads.com/

I tend to be similar to you - I'll read through an author that I like, a series. I then go to find something that comes recommended or best seller. I'm not a big fantasy, romance, western, sci-fi or paranormal fan. Most others I don't mind.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 30-04-2015 at 20:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read reviews & I do listen to the people who I know like the same sort of books as me.
    But then there's been times I've just picked a book by the grab on the back.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Good Reads is one site that you could recommend.
    https://www.goodreads.com/

I tend to be similar to you - I'll read through an author that I like, a series. I then go to find something that comes recommended or best seller. I'm not a big fantasy, romance, western, sci-fi or paranormal fan. Most others I don't mind.
    He didn't like good reads, because he said that most of the reviews are either 1 star or 5 stars. He was essentially asking for a site that would recommend him books that he was guaranteed to like.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I do a bit of everything. I keep an ear and eye out for buzz, good reviews and personal recommendations. I do follow up authors that I like and I also just pick up books that I like the look of. I'm quite happy to give most genres a go.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    if he is in a library .... just borrow the damn book and try it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

LaceyGracie  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    if he is in a library .... just borrow the damn book and try it

Or...borrow ten! Go all out

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

LaceyGracie  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    He didn't like good reads, because he said that most of the reviews are either 1 star or 5 stars. He was essentially asking for a site that would recommend him books that he was guaranteed to like.
    Fair enough - there are plenty of other Australian review sites he could try.

Did he help you narrow it down at all in terms of genre?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd probably recommend some of the more popular books/authors/series in a couple of genres and send him home with 3-4 books to try.

Perhaps 1 fantasy, 1 mystery, 1 regular fiction

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I go to the library often and a lot of the time I'll use the database computer to type in my favourite author or a general word to narrow down books for me. I also generally stick to the same genre. When I walk into my library I'll browse the new release shelves and also "recently returned". I love a good biography or real life story, also true crime and anything a bit left field- If I pick up a book and read it's about relationships/lovey dove stuff it goes back on the shelf. I just read the blurbs and choose.