+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Weaning 10 month old

Ok ive decided to try & wean 10 month old ds. Any tips?

He will drink formula at daycare (grudgingly) but wont take it from me & will only take a tiny bit from dh.

So how do i replace one feed with formula on the days he's not at daycare? Dh is currently home but the most ds will take from him is about 50ml, even if im out of the house. And soon hopefully dh will get a new job meaning he will be gone 12 hours a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh & i should say, there is no-one else here during the week who could give him a bottle. Friends & family work full time or shifts, neighbours work full time.

Sorry for the double post, the ap wouldnt let me edit previous post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids were older when they weaned but I just gave them something else (cows milk as they were 18-19mths old) and distracted them. Only issue I had with weaning them was I had no bloody way to put them to sleep easily. I'm keeping that bedtime feed the longest for #3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think i might be ok getting him to bed, we've moved away from a breastfeed right before every day nap now, but evenings can vary - sometimes he wants to feed to sleep & sometimes he'll self settle.

He wont take expressed milk from me either. How did you distract them? Ive tried giving him a toy but then he just plays with that & wont feed then suddenly realises hes hungry & starts screaming

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I think i might be ok getting him to bed, we've moved away from a breastfeed right before every day nap now, but evenings can vary - sometimes he wants to feed to sleep & sometimes he'll self settle.

He wont take expressed milk from me either. How did you distract them? Ive tried giving him a toy but then he just plays with that & wont feed then suddenly realises hes hungry & starts screaming
    I've recently weaned my 7 month old (still BFing the 5am feed) we just tried every day with formula, eventually she took it & only from me, not hubby at first! Started with 50ml's and have slowly built it up, it's only been 10 days & she's now having 4 bottles a day at 100-150ml, we will try get it up to 200 so she's having enough. If it was me I'd just keep trying, once he realises the bottle is less work he'll come around to the idea 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive been trying since i first started getting him used to drinking out of a sippy cup months ago. He still wont accept it from me so i dont know if he ever will. At least he now takes it at daycare though, thats something

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive been trying since i first started getting him used to drinking out of a sippy cup months ago. He still wont accept it from me so i dont know if he ever will. At least he now takes it at daycare though, thats something
    Have you tried a different formula? I tried 3 others before this & added it to her food to get her used to the taste... Also the test we where using to begin with was slow, so we got a faster flow & that seemed to do the trick... Sorry if this is stuff you've tried!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can he hold the bottle or does he try? Both my kids were independent little munchkins and preferred to lay propped up slightly by themselves to bottle feed. At first they also needed something tucked under the bottle to keep it up.

Congratulations making it to 10 months! I bet you never imagined you would have such success 9 or so months ago! I weaned my 2nd at 10 months as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I distracted them from a normal bf by giving them food. Then gave a sippy cup of milk with their food. The novelty was enough. But my kids only drink cold milk so maybe give him cold formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok ill keep trying. I normally offer cold formula but i think daycare mentioned that they heated it up so ill try that.

He does hold the bottle, i just help him tip it up cause he doesnt know how to do that yet. Ill try propping him up by himself though woth something tucked under the bottle - he wants to be independent with solids so might be the same with formula