+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Realistic viewpoint on stereotypes

If you fall into a stereotype, and we all do at some point or another, and that stereotype carries negative connotations- what is your way of breaking that stereotype?

Do you work hard to prove them wrong?

Do you scream blue murder?

Do you cry?

Do you argue until your point is virtually written on their brain?

Or, do you not care?

How do you break the stereotype?
    Last edited by SimplyMum; 30-04-2015 at 14:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I try not to give two hoots about what people think of me. If they think that I fall into a stereotype and want to think negatively of me for it, then that's their problem not mine.
    I should have written that as an option......

Thanks
    Reviews
    As above, I don't actually care what people really think of me. No one else lives my life except for me and I've learnt it's practically impossible to change someone's view on other people.

People sterotype gay people all the time. I just answer truthfully if they ask questions and don't debate it if they want to start with that. I don't have time to justify how I was born and who I am.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeautyOfTheSoul For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Realistic viewpoint on stereotypes

To change someone's viewpoint I suppose just don't do the things that supposedly make you part of that stereotype. For example - If you don't want to look like a bogan don't have a rats tail.
    (Not judging anyone with a rats tail, just saying it is linked to a bogan sort of stereotype lol)
    Stereotypes don't really bother me and I wouldn't care what others thought, if it were negative then they don't deserve worrying about really.
    Last edited by SpicyTurtle; 30-04-2015 at 14:46.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-04-2015)

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My way of breaking a stereotype is to not buy into the shame associated with mental illness and being open about my issues.

I try to be the change I want to see in the world in regards to people being able to talk openly about mental and emotional issues.

I have Borderline Personality Disorder.

I have complex post traumatic stress disorder.

I have had a lifelong battle with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.

I am in recovery from bulimia. I struggle with emotional overeating.

I am a drug addict, in recovery.

My father in law once said you're a 'borderline drug addict with ongoing mental health issues.' He thought he was insulting me. He wasn't. They are just diagnoses, not an indicator of my worth as a human being.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PlayNice For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-04-2015),btmacxxx  (30-04-2015),Frankenmum  (30-04-2015),LoveLivesHere  (30-04-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (30-04-2015),RipperRita  (30-04-2015),SheWarrior  (30-04-2015),SimplyMum  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am too busy living my life too give to hoots if I fall into a stereotype of any kind. If people want to thank negative of me, that's their choice.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-04-2015),Nasim2  (30-04-2015),PinkPrint  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I actually find the problem that people refuse to believe that my girlfriend and I are gay because we don't fit stereotypes...

It's crazy to think that stereotypes put individuals into boxes so forcefully that when you're not conforming to societal expectations you couldn't possibly belong to that group.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (30-04-2015),Nasim2  (30-04-2015)