+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default bringing your own pain relief to hospital?

So for my last baby, i asked for panadol after the birth, & was told they were too busy. I waited over 4 hours, they really just couldnt be stuffed bringing it in TBH, i ended up leaving &stopping by the chemist with my baby on the way home so I could get some freaking panadol, lol. Did anyone Just bring their own panadol in to hospital so they could get some pain relief? Or do the midwives get pi$$y that youve brought it in yourself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't but wish I had. I had a CS so was there a while. I looooove Panadol but they stuck to their every 6hrs rule, yet shoved endone down my throat like tic tacks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    I didn't but wish I had. I had a CS so was there a while. I looooove Panadol but they stuck to their every 6hrs rule, yet shoved endone down my throat like tic tacks.
    This seems to be code around the place. I had emergency c section and got fed endone and oxycontin (wasn't breastfeeding) like there was no tomorrow. I dont even really remember my stay in hospital.

And i guess if they knew you had them they would probably take them away. I took panadol and my antidepressants to the hospital when I was being induced and they took them all off me and gave them as I needed them with the antidepressants but i never saw my panadol only their Panamax.
    But that could just be because of my medical history too.
    Maybe call the hospital and ask?

Thanks
    Reviews
    See I would think the same thing, meredith grey - how hard is it to chuck some ******* panadol in my direction for crying out loud. I did try to get someone to give me some, after buzzing for 2 hours, the midwife came in & told me she was busy and i would get it when i got it. I waited another 2 hours after that before i got it - she was a damn b!tch though, so that probably didnt help. I just dont want to go through the experience again of being there in pain waiting 4 hours for panadol,it is so much easier to bring my own.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hopefully that was just a bad experience that won't be repeated.

Maybe take a small stash in with you just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Do you want a paracetamol overdose or liver damage with your caesarean? Its a max of 4g/24 hours (so 1g every 6 hours) for a reason. Endone is a completely different drug.
    https://www.tga.gov.au/community-qa/...acetamol-doses
    I can take it every 4-6hrs as long as I don't exceed the maximum dose in 24hrs. I realise you're a midwife but I'm not an idiot. The timing was always off with my feeding during the night, if I had just fed the baby and settled her and it was 5hrs since my last dose, I would like to take it then and get some rest. Not wake an hour later to be given drugs.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (30-04-2015),just her chameleon  (30-04-2015),misskittyfantastico  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the maternity ward where I live, they've installed locks on small cupboards next to each bed and have your medication in there. My urso (for obstetric choleostasis), polaramine and some paracetamol were in there. So when I buzzed for pain meds, they could just grab them out and hand them over

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took my own stuff...bit sneaky but I knew what I had in my system and didn't need someone to tell me when I could have another panadol! Its not hard to know how to take a simple pain killer, I didn't need an obnoxious midwife to baby me as an adult lol. I had a VB too so wasn't taking anything else but they were so pathetic about locking it up and waiting 6 hours...so I took it into my own hands.
    Last edited by Gracie's Mum; 30-04-2015 at 10:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I take my own. I've been in hospital lots and learned not to rely on staff being able to dish me out a panadol when I need one - not a dig at nurses, just how it is. I know not to exceed the dose - I'm pretty cluey when it comes to medications.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Recently I was in hospital for 10 days and I was never without pain relief. Every nurse I had carried Panadol in their pocket . I was on a very busy surgical ward and nothing was too much trouble