+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 100
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    It was a collective "you" not directed at you specifically. PHI isn't designed to get you superior treatment in a public hospital, it is for use in a private setting. How you personally use it is up to you, but it seems an unnecessary expense for you to have hospital cover if you wouldn't ever use a private hospital - unless I'm missing something? If the closest and best hospital for you is a public one and there is never a foreseeable reason for you to use a private hospital, then why not just have PHI for extras and drop your hospital cover? It seems a lot of money to spend for limited potential perks. Obviously I don't know all the details of your situation or the hospital near you, so my questions are based only on what you've said here.

    I use a mix of private and public. When my children need to go to hospital urgently, we go to the public children's hospital. When my baby son had surgery, we did it at a private hospital. When he needed an exploratory procedure we did it at public. I had my babies privately. For me it is worth having PHI and I'm happy to pass on some of the benefit of that to the public hospitals when I need to use them. For you, maybe it's not worth it. I'm not saying everyone should have PHI, all I'm saying is that if you do have it, let it be used towards providing better healthcare for everyone. After all, we go to hospital for medical treatment. It's not a hotel.
    My husband and DSS have asthma and need hospital cover for that. As we are on family cover (cheaper) we all have hospital cover with extras.

    As the closest, and best, hospital near us is public, we go there. As we have PHI, I expect some level of "benefits". If all that means is that I get a private room (if noone else needs it), awesome. However, it means one of us gets a bed with the kids; or I get one with DH (or he with me); we get a choice of dr, nurse, midwife, specialist, etc; choice of meal; longer visiting hours; and a few other little things.
    All great- being able to stay with DSS when he is kept in because his oxygen is low, is a huge deal to us. If we went public, this hospital would not allow that. But with PHI it does.

    What it comes down to is money- if hospitals want to treat everyone equally (whether they have PHI or not), they shouldn't get money from PHI patients' cover. Can't have it both ways.

    ETA: and if people really want public and private to be separate, we shouldn't need a medicare card to apply for PHI.
    Last edited by DT75; 02-05-2015 at 12:21.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (02-05-2015)

  3. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    If you have an appropriate level of PHI (which is what the pp asked about), then you don't pay the medicare levy surcharge - but you still pay the medicare levy.
    Ah yes... sorry the levy is what I meant. But the surcharge is a 'may'.

  4. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Private patient in public hospital

    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Then don't have PHI. No one is forcing you to have it. If you're happy with the public hospital, then why bother having hospital cover?

    You keep arguing the same point, but it doesn't make sense. .
    It is on my hit list to look into - have just been busy being back at work. I will look into scaling my coverage back within the next few months. I don't want to get rid of it altogether incase my kids end up with special needs, require dental etc. also the Medicare levy surcharge.

    I'm not totally happy with my local public hospital (crap service when I had ds2). I would prefer to pay private healthcare, not be charged through the nose to actually use it, and to get something extra for my $ when I did actually use it (whether as a private patient in a public or private hospital).

    Because private health in this country is screwed and my ultimate goal is in un-obtainable, I am compromising by scaling back my phi, using it for ancillaries and going public for the big stuff.
    Last edited by VicPark; 02-05-2015 at 13:57.

  5. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,557
    Thanked
    12,689
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Lol, coincidentally, despite my apparent propensity to prop up public hospitals with my insurer's money, I am using my $ to go to Fiji next week
    Was going to say Bali but after the murders of Chan and Sukumaran I'm
    Boycotting that place!

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    3bubbys  (02-05-2015),Cue  (02-05-2015),Silver flute  (02-05-2015)

  7. #85
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,554
    Thanks
    1,602
    Thanked
    2,360
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It is on my hit list to look into - have just been busy being back at work. I will look into scaling my coverage back within the next few months. I don't want to get rid of it altogether incase my kids end up with special needs, require dental etc. also the Medicare levy surcharge.

    I'm not totally happy with my local public hospital (crap service when I had ds2). I would prefer to pay private healthcare, not be charged through the nose to actually use it, and to get something extra for my $ when I did actually use it (whether as a private patient in a public or private hospital).

    Because private health in this country is screwed and my ultimate goal is in un-obtainable, I am compromising by scaling back my phi, using it for ancillaries and going public for the big stuff.
    You should only be paying an excess once per financial year, and it should be waived altogether for kids. Definitely get onto that when you get a chance! Some insurers seem to rely on people not bothering to shop around, dodgy buggers.

  8. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,554
    Thanks
    1,602
    Thanked
    2,360
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    My husband and DSS have asthma and need hospital cover for that. As we are on family cover (cheaper) we all have hospital cover with extras.

    As the closest, and best, hospital near us is public, we go there. As we have PHI, I expect some level of "benefits". If all that means is that I get a private room (if noone else needs it), awesome. However, it means one of us gets a bed with the kids; or I get one with DH (or he with me); we get a choice of dr, nurse, midwife, specialist, etc; choice of meal; longer visiting hours; and a few other little things.
    All great- being able to stay with DSS when he is kept in because his oxygen is low, is a huge deal to us. If we went public, this hospital would not allow that. But with PHI it does.

    What it comes down to is money- if hospitals want to treat everyone equally (whether they have PHI or not), they shouldn't get money from PHI patients' cover. Can't have it both ways.

    ETA: and if people really want public and private to be separate, we shouldn't need a medicare card to apply for PHI.
    That's pretty crappy that your hospital wouldn't allow you to stay with your DSS if you were a public patient. Our public children's hospital provides a fold-out chair/bed thingy and actually requires a parent to stay with the child whenever possible.

    For the sake of argument though, I don't see why you need hospital cover if you're using the public hospital for your DH & DSSs asthma. I appreciate that the benefits of doing so have value to you in your particular situation so it's worth it to you, but they would arguably still receive the medical care required regardless of PHI status (just without some of the extra comforts). They could still see a private specialist outside of hospital who can be involved in their long-term care and management of their asthma - possibly a specialist who also works at the public hospital so can keep an eye on them during stays as well (this is what we have in place for DS, a private paed oversees his general care but he also works at the children's hospital so can keep an eye on things and speak to the other Drs when DS is in hospital).

    Every situation is unique of course, and I'm sure you're doing what is best in your circumstance, again I'm just trying to generalize with my comments.

  9. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    That's pretty crappy that your hospital wouldn't allow you to stay with your DSS if you were a public patient. Our public children's hospital provides a fold-out chair/bed thingy and actually requires a parent to stay with the child whenever possible.

    For the sake of argument though, I don't see why you need hospital cover if you're using the public hospital for your DH & DSSs asthma. I appreciate that the benefits of doing so have value to you in your particular situation so it's worth it to you, but they would arguably still receive the medical care required regardless of PHI status (just without some of the extra comforts). They could still see a private specialist outside of hospital who can be involved in their long-term care and management of their asthma - possibly a specialist who also works at the public hospital so can keep an eye on them during stays as well (this is what we have in place for DS, a private paed oversees his general care but he also works at the children's hospital so can keep an eye on things and speak to the other Drs when DS is in hospital).

    Every situation is unique of course, and I'm sure you're doing what is best in your circumstance, again I'm just trying to generalize with my comments.
    Because it was cheaper to get combined cover for all of us, rather than h+e for 3 (rather keep DSD on it too) and just e for me.

  10. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    949
    Thanked
    604
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Not true- "and your income is above a certain threshold, you may have to pay the Medicare levy surcharge."

    Taken from ato.gov.au link on previous page.

    What I said was correct- the poster I quoted asked if having PHI meant you didn't pay the Medicare Levy.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 02-05-2015 at 19:11.

  11. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,185
    Thanks
    481
    Thanked
    1,049
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    If you are admitted to hospital in an emergency situation or if you are having a baby, I can see why people would think that PHI is unnecessary as you will be treated immediately as a public patient. However there are plenty of cases where you might need an 'elective' stay in hospital and you will definitely be better of with PHI then. The waiting list for public hospitals for some conditions is years and years. Elective conditions are a lot more critical than you might think and includes things like hip and knee surgery, some heart conditions, fertility issues, etc etc etc.

    While it is a lot of money to spend, every time I have needed it I have thanked my lucky stars that I can afford to keep paying it.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

    DT75  (02-05-2015)

  13. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    What I said was correct- the poster I quoted asked if having PHI meant you didn't pay the Medicare Levy.
    Yep, i know sorry, I corrected myself later.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

    Gentoo  (03-05-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Doctors appointments. Your right as a patient in a public hospital
    By Tiff86 in forum Seeking a Maternity Hospital
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2015, 13:37
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2015, 17:05
  3. Private patient at public hospital
    By bbhope in forum Private Health Insurance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-04-2015, 12:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car Restraints
Buying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!