+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You mean the private one is 3.5 hours away?

By all means still use the closer public hospital - I just think it's unethical for the hospital to charge you as a private patient if you don't get anything extra for that $.
    I agree.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You mean the private one is 3.5 hours away?

By all means still use the closer public hospital - I just think it's unethical for the hospital to charge you as a private patient if you don't get anything extra for that $.
    I do get extra. I get my choice of dr, free tv, a special menu, a free paper and I get a warm fuzzy from knowing that because my phi gets billed more than the public system my hospital will be able to purchase much needed equipment to help everyone.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-05-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (01-05-2015),misskittyfantastico  (01-05-2015),smallpotatoes  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Plainly, because we are paying extra for it. We pay for PHI so we get better health cover. If we are paying extra to be able to get preferential treatment, we should get it. Otherwise, what is the point in PHI? We could just pay the public hospital instead.

(I actually am ok with getting a private room only if it's not needed by someone else, but just making a point).
    You don't pay PHI to get preferential treatment or better health care in the public system. You pay it to bypass the public system and use private healthcare providers and private hospitals. If someone lives in an area that doesn't have a private hospital option then maybe they need to consider their options in regards to type of cover they purchase.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-05-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (01-05-2015),misskittyfantastico  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Doesnt having PHI mean you dont pay medicare levy?
    Nope, you still pay the Medicare Levy, but if you're on a higher income you don't pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    You don't pay PHI to get preferential treatment or better health care in the public system. You pay it to bypass the public system and use private healthcare providers and private hospitals. If someone lives in an area that doesn't have a private hospital option then maybe they need to consider their options in regards to type of cover they purchase.
    You're wrong. I do pay for PHI to get better treatment at my public hospital.
    It's the closest, and best, hospital to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Nope, you still pay the Medicare Levy, but if you're on a higher income you don't pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge.
    Not true- "and your income is above a certain threshold, you may have to pay the Medicare levy surcharge."

Taken from ato.gov.au link on previous page.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Not true- "and your income is above a certain threshold, you may have to pay the Medicare levy surcharge."

Taken from ato.gov.au link on previous page.
    If you have an appropriate level of PHI (which is what the pp asked about), then you don't pay the medicare levy surcharge - but you still pay the medicare levy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Well it seems like public hospitals are using it to boost their funding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Private patient in public hospital

Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I do get extra. I get my choice of dr, free tv, a special menu, a free paper and I get a warm fuzzy from knowing that because my phi gets billed more than the public system my hospital will be able to purchase much needed equipment to help everyone.
    I tell you what the free newspaper TV and warm and fuzzy wouldn't be enough to make me want to continue forking out $340 per month for phi. I have my own family to support - it's not my job to prop up the local public hospital and their patients. I would rather use my $ and go to Fiji. Or at least buy my kids that second pair of shoes I've been eyeing off.
    Last edited by VicPark; 01-05-2015 at 23:23.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're wrong. I do pay for PHI to get better treatment at my public hospital.
    It's the closest, and best, hospital to us.
    It was a collective "you" not directed at you specifically. PHI isn't designed to get you superior treatment in a public hospital, it is for use in a private setting. How you personally use it is up to you, but it seems an unnecessary expense for you to have hospital cover if you wouldn't ever use a private hospital - unless I'm missing something? If the closest and best hospital for you is a public one and there is never a foreseeable reason for you to use a private hospital, then why not just have PHI for extras and drop your hospital cover? It seems a lot of money to spend for limited potential perks. Obviously I don't know all the details of your situation or the hospital near you, so my questions are based only on what you've said here.

I use a mix of private and public. When my children need to go to hospital urgently, we go to the public children's hospital. When my baby son had surgery, we did it at a private hospital. When he needed an exploratory procedure we did it at public. I had my babies privately. For me it is worth having PHI and I'm happy to pass on some of the benefit of that to the public hospitals when I need to use them. For you, maybe it's not worth it. I'm not saying everyone should have PHI, all I'm saying is that if you do have it, let it be used towards providing better healthcare for everyone. After all, we go to hospital for medical treatment. It's not a hotel.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

amyd  (02-05-2015),beebs  (04-05-2015)