+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Totally agree with you. Except that I will flat out say unless I get *something* additional of value by electing to be a private patient, I wouldn't be using my private health insurance - even if that means the hospital will miss out on additional $$ for whatever worthwhile project they have in mind.

I pay $340 per month for my phi and $500 excess for each hospital admission (yeah I know in getting ripped - looking into that). Why should I pay for that hospital project while others get a free ride? Especially when I don't even get a private room or newspaper or free TV. It's the Governments job (through taxpayers) to find public hospitals. The burden shouldn't fall on the few that have and use their phi.

I'm not saying public patients in need (mums that have lost their babies) shouldn't get their own rooms just that if hospitals aren't prepared to budge on borderline cases (c-secs) and give private patients priority .... Or offer private patients some incentive (newspapers, TV, better meals etc) then they should perhaps not give people the chance of going private. Or at least make it crystal clear in the admissions process that the only thing private patients will be getting is their choice of surgeon.. Maybe.
    But if you're paying for your PHI anyway and there's an opportunity for it to go towards something useful, why not just tick the box? It doesn't cost you anything (the hospital will probably waive the excess) and it's not like you get anything extra by not using it iykwim? Otherwise you're still paying the premium every month and it's basically just going into the insurance company's coffers.

I totally agree that it's the governments job to provide health care, that's a pretty big reason why we pay taxes! But it was always drummed into me growing up that when it comes to paying for yourself (healthcare, housing, whatever) those who can should, so that those who can't don't have to. So I've always been happy to pay to go private as I can afford to, rather than take up a space that could go to someone who doesn't have the same options. Wait lists are ridiculous in the public system. In a perfect world we'd all get free healthcare and there would be no need for PHI but it ain't gonna happen unfortunately!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Well my DS2 spent last night in hospital due to respiratory distress. He is probably going to be here tonight as well. Private patient, public hospital. We don't get any perks. In fact I had to go to the cafe and buy my breakfast this morning.

But our pediatrician saw him, rather than a public doctor who we have no affiliation with. This paed was there when he was delivered and saw him frequently for the first 18 months. I am very thankful for this.
    I hope your DS is feeling better. Must have been so scary for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    It's a public hospital. I completely disagree that people should "priority" simply because they've paid PHI. That's not how the public health system works.

Single rooms are and should be allocated on an as needs basis, not something you think you can buy. Don't like it, go use your PHI at a private hospital.

The government doesn't have infinite money to spend on healthcare. If they did there wouldn't be the need for hospital foundations and all the fundraising that they do.
    Our local hospital will prioritise private over public if you both have the same need for a private room. So if there are 2 caesar patients the private patient would get the private room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    It's a public hospital. I completely disagree that people should "priority" simply because they've paid PHI. That's not how the public health system works.

Single rooms are and should be allocated on an as needs basis, not something you think you can buy. Don't like it, go use your PHI at a private hospital.

The government doesn't have infinite money to spend on healthcare. If they did there wouldn't be the need for hospital foundations and all the fundraising that they do.
    This is just playing devil's advocate BUT:

Public hospitals can't have it both ways. Either they have a universal health care mentality and private rooms are allocated purely based on need for the sickest etc with no priority given to patients because they have private health. However, that means if everybody is treated the same, everybody pays the same ie nothing and the hospital makes due with whatever budget it gets from the government.

OR

Public hospitals claim more money from private health insurers to treat private patients and in turn offer private patients priority for things like private rooms - not where medical need is involved but in other cases where there are private rooms available - as well as other incentives.

It isn't really fair to have the mentality that public hospitals should receive more money from private patients but it's not "right" for them to give private patients preferential treatment for anything. That's not really the way the world works unfortunately. Hospitals need money and if giving a few perks means more people will use PHI and the hospital gets more money then that's what they should do because at the end of the day, those private patients are propping up the system: the budget stretches further, people get better treatment and so on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Mum was in hospital as a private patient and had shared room with 3 men one which was a prisoner. She got a newspaper everyday and free parking for one week for her next of kin. That was it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    This is just playing devil's advocate BUT:

Public hospitals can't have it both ways. Either they have a universal health care mentality and private rooms are allocated purely based on need for the sickest etc with no priority given to patients because they have private health. However, that means if everybody is treated the same, everybody pays the same ie nothing and the hospital makes due with whatever budget it gets from the government.

OR

Public hospitals claim more money from private health insurers to treat private patients and in turn offer private patients priority for things like private rooms - not where medical need is involved but in other cases where there are private rooms available - as well as other incentives.

It isn't really fair to have the mentality that public hospitals should receive more money from private patients but it's not "right" for them to give private patients preferential treatment for anything. That's not really the way the world works unfortunately. Hospitals need money and if giving a few perks means more people will use PHI and the hospital gets more money then that's what they should do because at the end of the day, those private patients are propping up the system: the budget stretches further, people get better treatment and so on.
    I get where you're going with this but wouldn't the money be better spent on healthcare rather than giving out perks to private patients? It doesn't cost the patient anything whether they go in as a public or private patient, they are going into hospital one way or another so why not let the hospital have the extra money? Why withhold money that could go to a good cause just because there's no newspaper or free TV on offer? It seems everyone always wants there to be something in it for them, even when ticking that box on the admission form has absolutely no negative consequence for them at all, which is kind of sad really (not you specifically of course, I know you're playing devils advocate for the sake of discussion so I hope my comments are taken in that context).

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (01-05-2015),misskittyfantastico  (30-04-2015),smallpotatoes  (01-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I get where you're going with this but wouldn't the money be better spent on healthcare rather than giving out perks to private patients? It doesn't cost the patient anything whether they go in as a public or private patient, they are going into hospital one way or another so why not let the hospital have the extra money? Why withhold money that could go to a good cause just because there's no newspaper or free TV on offer? It seems everyone always wants there to be something in it for them, even when ticking that box on the admission form has absolutely no negative consequence for them at all, which is kind of sad really (not you specifically of course, I know you're playing devils advocate for the sake of discussion so I hope my comments are taken in that context).
    I agree. That was my initial knee jerk reaction ("but what's in it for me???") but of course having access to great public health is good on so many levels so I'll tick the box or fill out the form or whatever it is. And at the end of the day there is something to be said about being grateful you're not in a position to need a private room.

I guess I'm just making the point that if a hospital does chose to make it more attractive for patients to use their PHI by, say, giving them priority to a private room if one is available, why begrudge that? For the hospital, it's a room that's free and they need to put a patient in there. If there isn't a pressing medical need for the room, why not prioritise the patient who has PHI and therefore allows the hospital to claim a much larger sum of money? The reality is, it doesn't cost the hospital very much to do that and the cost is far far exceeded by the extra money they receive from the insurance company.

Sure it would be great if everyone just ticked the box, but some people will still want to feel like they are "getting something" in return. So the hospital has a choice: be idealistic and miss out of some extra money because there will always be a certain percentage of people who have PHI but won't bother using it unless they see a tangible advantage to them, or they can play to that desire, and maximise the amount of money they can claim from PHI.

The notion that it's not "right" or "fair" belongs in a fair tale land where hospitals are all adequately funded by government and private insurance is unnecessary. And pigs fly and unicorns graze on verdant fields.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm usually just a lurker, but I find this thread so frustrating. What most people seem to be missing is we all pay taxes to provide public health cover (Medicare) for people who can't afford private. In my opinion if you have private cover but are using the public system as a public patient you are costing the taxpayer greater money unnecessarily, when it could have been billed to the private insurer. This is what you pay your premiums for. If all Australians relied on the public system then the government would be responsible for all healthcare costs. Where do you think the money comes from that pays for public health?
    Sorry, but again I found this so frustrating. I mean no offence to anyone and hope you all get medical care you need, when you need it, whether you are public or private patient

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I hope your DS is feeling better. Must have been so scary for you.
    It was horrible. He was borderline needing oxygen a few times he is still unwell but as least not really struggling to breathe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I haven't read the other responses but I went private after the birth of ds in our local public hospital. I got a free paper everyday, free tv and free parking pass for dp to come and go as he pleased which was very helpful for us. I didn't have to fill out any paperwork. I just handed over my card and a short time later it was handed back to me and confirmed that my PHI had approved it. I got a thank you letter from the hospital admin for doing so as the funding was helpful for them (I believe my PHI paid them out to the tune of around $2500!)