+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you can't afford it then fair enough. But if you're already paying huge amounts for PHI then it seems reasonable to use it. You don't get charged more but at least you know that your money is actually being used by the hospital. Basically when you sign that form the hospital bills your PHI instead of Medicare. The money then goes directly back into the hospital to be used for things they need.
    It would be great if all rooms were private but most wards only have a handful. To be honest not once have I put a patient in a single room simply because they are a private patient. There is always a long line of people who actually require it for their health or to protect others from infection.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-04-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (29-04-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (29-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post
    So is filling out a form is all that it takes to register as a private patient in a public hospital? You don't have to pay an excess like you do in a private hospital?
    You do pay the excess yes!!
    That's why Id never register as a private patient if I go public.
    Unless Id want to be $500 OOP

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also a nurse here - have worked both public and private hospitals - trust me - private cover does not even guarantee a single room in a private hospital - the hospital I was at had some rooms that still had 4 beds in each room, & a shared bathroom down the corridor.

For people who elect to go private in a public hospital, I'd encourage you to speak to the finance team, and negotiate for the hospital to pay the excess on your behalf - might cost the hospital $400, but then they can bill PHI $1000 a night (or more depending why you are there) win - win for everyone

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazzy36 For This Useful Post:

NurseAnni  (29-04-2015)

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We always use our PHI if we need to stay at hospital (no private option here). We've never been charged a gap or excess. Two children, two elective surgeries, one urgent surgery and a buttload of pathology / scans, PHI has covered it all. We pay the premium, why wouldn't we want to utilise it? The hospital benefits, we get a meal for the other person, and it doesn't cost extra. Bit of a no brainer for us

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private patient in public hospital

[QUOTE=ExcuseMyFrench;8172583]You do pay the excess yes!!
    That's why Id never register as a private patient if I go public.
    Unless Id want to be $500

Not always, the hospital I work at the hospital will pay the excess so patients are not out of pocket - always worth checking though! For going private patients get a newspaper everyday, an extra meal for a visitor once a day, toiletries pack and sometimes a private room (if available). Definitely worthwhile for the hospitals benefit financially!

Edit: phone played up but that was a response to @ExcuseMyFrench quote!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have always had to use the public hospital here as the two private hospitals don't have a maternity or kids ward. The benefit for us is that we choose our own obstetrician and paediatrician. We have a doctor we are comfortable and familiar with. Our maternity ward is quite big but rarely even half full. I always got a private room. Kids ward has been about half private room half shared.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellbell85 View Post
    Not always, the hospital I work at the hospital will pay the excess so patients are not out of pocket - always worth checking though! For going private patients get a newspaper everyday, an extra meal for a visitor once a day, toiletries pack and sometimes a private room (if available). Definitely worthwhile for the hospitals benefit financially!

Edit: phone played up but that was a response to @ExcuseMyFrench quote!
    Oh that's very good to know!
    Not sure if I'd be game to play as don't you have to register as a private patient once you mention you have PHI?
    If not Id be very happy for the hospital to bill thousands to my PHI so long as I don't pay the OOP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Not sure if I'd be game to play as don't you have to register as a private patient once you mention you have PHI?
    If not Id be very happy for the hospital to bill thousands to my PHI so long as I don't pay the OOP
    No you don't have to register as a private patient if they know you have private health. It's totally your choice and I've never been pressured into and never had an OOP to pay.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-04-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (29-04-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (29-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suppose thinking about it from that perspective, if they give me a form to fill out and it means the hospital gets more money then sure I'll do it and they can even skip the newspaper and TV. I just think they could be making a lot more money out of this of they handled it differently and it frustrates me. Not only could they charge more for private patients, but a private patient accommodated in a single room is charged to the health insurer at an even higher rate. Some hospitals are capitalising on this but the children's hospital here are not. They are building a new children's hospital - maybe they have considered this and built more private rooms. Maybe they are completely squeezed at the current hospital. I don't know but either way they are doing a great job, I've been nothing but happy with the treatment, so they definitely deserve as much money as they can get.

My only other thought is I wonder how much PHI are paying out for "private" patients in public hospitals when these patients are basically receiving nothing more than they would otherwise receive using Medicare? At the end of the day, the more they pay out, the more they charge... It's kind of a double edged sword if you think about it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    DH and I both ended up in a public hospital recently (for two different reasons). On both occasions the hospital knew we had PHI. With DH we decided to stay as a public patient and for me we went private. The hospital paid my $500 excess and so we weren't out of pocket.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (29-04-2015)