+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Norwest Private vs Nepean Private + choosing an OBGYN

Hi Ladies,

My husband and I just got our BFP on Sunday night - yay! I think we're super early on (3-4 weeks) but have an appointment with my GP next week to confirm

My question is - can anyone give me opinions on Norwest Private vs Nepean Private hospitals? I'm leaning toward Norwest as I have a few girlfriends who have had babies there and they've all had great experiences, I also like the idea of my husband being able to stay. In saying that, Nepean is a little closer to home so I would love to from anyone who has been there too! Does anyone know if partners can stay at Nepean?

Also - if anyone has an obstetrician they would recommend at either of these hospitals I would love to hear I had thought I would like to go with Dr Matthew Wilson if I went to Norwest but called his rooms today to get some info and he is away on my EDD so isn't taking on any patients for that time...so any recommendations would be amazing!

Thanks girls!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @FlowerPower congrats on your BFP!
    I'm not pregnant yet but I decided before even trying to conceive that I would be going to Norwest.
    Had a few friends deliver there that loved it. The biggest thing for me was that hubby could stay with me, I hate hospitals so I need that.
    But, like you, I live much closer to Nepean (I'm about 15 mins from you). I actually had no idea it was a private hospital, I've never heard anything (good or bad) from them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GemimaPuddleduck For This Useful Post:

flower power  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Norwest is my pick!
    Last edited by Kate85; 29-04-2015 at 08:06.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kate85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Gemima & Kate!
    Gemima - Nepean has the big public hospial then the private is the much smaller building next to it
    We might go check it out on Sunday when they do the maternity ward tour so I'll keep you posted!
    Kate - any particuar ob you would recommend at Norwest?
    Feels like it's such a big decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr Arrage is my doctor there - he's pretty amazing. Great bedside manner and no question is too silly, very approachable and very knowledgeable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kate85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had my first in Nepean Private and couldn't fault it, nurses are lovely and you can stay as long as you need. Handy that the public is right next door incase anything goes wrong. My hubby slept on the lounge chair in my room for a couple of nights, was no issue with him doing this.. We just made sure we ordered everything on the menu so we had enough food for both of us! Had Dr Cropley in Penrith as my OB, he was great too.

Now pregnant with no. 2 and will be doing the same as above except hubby can sleep at home with DD so I can relax!!

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had both my bubs at Nepean private. I liked it. It's hit and miss with the midwives - some I loved, others not so much. Dr Rizvi was my ob for both pregnancies and is very thorough and professional. As luck/scheduling had it i actually ended up being delivered both times by her colleague Dr Bernadette Parry and I loved her too, but her personality isn't for everyone.
    Your hubby can stay in your room (in a fairly uncomfortable reclining armchair) for the first night at no cost. Other nights they apparently charge a boarding fee ($70-ish a night?) but I've never heard of anyone actually being charged. The advice to order everything on your menu is spot on - you get heaps of food, enough for you both. Happy to answer any other questions you have 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella978 View Post
    I had both my bubs at Nepean private. I liked it. It's hit and miss with the midwives - some I loved, others not so much. Dr Rizvi was my ob for both pregnancies and is very thorough and professional. As luck/scheduling had it i actually ended up being delivered both times by her colleague Dr Bernadette Parry and I loved her too, but her personality isn't for everyone.
    Your hubby can stay in your room (in a fairly uncomfortable reclining armchair) for the first night at no cost. Other nights they apparently charge a boarding fee ($70-ish a night?) but I've never heard of anyone actually being charged. The advice to order everything on your menu is spot on - you get heaps of food, enough for you both. Happy to answer any other questions you have 😄
    Hi Bella, we cycled together back when I had my first BFP in Feb 2012. Nice to see you went on to have some bubbas! I have number two on the way, can't wait!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hope77 For This Useful Post:

Bella978  (30-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dr Brown at Norwest. Just had second bub there, highly recommend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had both babies at Norwest Private with Dr Blumenthal. I loved the hospital, very spacious and new. It doesn't really feel that much like a hospital. I have had friends and family birth at Nepean so have been there a few times - the rooms seemed small and I don't think there is a well baby nursery that you can go to for feeds/help (best to check that as there might be). The nursery was great for getting out of my room, chatting to other parents and getting help with feeding at 2am! Most of the staff I dealt with we're great, especially the midwives in the birth suites.

Dr Blumenthal is an excellent doctor, incredibly good at what he does and most doctors I know all say that they would or have used him for their own pregnancies. In a true emergency, I wouldn't want anyone else looking after me. If I had any other Dr I would have ended up with a caesar both times but he gave me every opportunity to have a normal delivery and thankfully I was able to do so.

Having said that, if you feel that you need a Dr who is really friendly and takes a lot of time at appointments, Dr B isn't for you. Appointments are very quick unless he has any concerns or you have questions, he's very busy so always runs late, and he has quite a direct manner. He does have a sense of humour though and really does care about his patients. He attends something like 95% of his patients births, the man is an absolute machine. I swear he's a vampire or something, I don't know when he sleeps! For me, an OB is an insurance policy in case something goes wrong, I'm not looking for a friend if you're comfortable with that then I'd definitely go with him.