+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Costs and update?

Hi ladies
    Interested to know how your partners are going since the VR? I hope you have had success!
    I was also hoping you could tell me what the upfront costs with Dr Tracey are, before medicare rebates etc,
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe78 View Post
    Hi ladies
    Interested to know how your partners are going since the VR? I hope you have had success!
    I was also hoping you could tell me what the upfront costs with Dr Tracey are, before medicare rebates etc,
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla Morgan View Post
    Hi @SurferGalGC
    How everything is going? Just to keep you update, these is my DH second week recovery so hopefully we start trying soon. We have a follow up Aptm. tomorrow with Dr.
    Any look yet? Are you in 3rd month yet?
    Best of look!
    Hey ladies,

No luck for us. There was no good news at our three month test. Bummer! We have an appointment with our GP tomorrow to get a referral for our 6 month test. You never know, DH could've just taken longer to heal.

How did your DH go Layla?! Hope you got good results!! Dr Tracey seemed very shocked by our results but I'm sure he would say that for every unsuccessful reversal haha.

We've made a tentative first appointment for the IVF journey.. just about to jump on one of the many threads to find out where to even start! What a journey!
    @monroe78 our out of pocket costs were only about $1,200.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear ladies. Let me save you going through what we did! 5 years, 14 round aid ivf later and only now pregnant The solution was there the whole time!!! .....My husband underwent a VR in 2011. After 18 months of trying naturally, we went down IVF road. Our Dr (same that did VR) was monitoring my husband throughout those 18 months with several semen analysis. And the figures were not looking very good. Poor morphology, low count - you name it. We did round no IVF - no good. We changed doctors. Te next doctor actually did a DNA test on his sperm and found out he had extremely high DNA damage. (Due to the vasectomy being in place for 10 years) apparently this means you end up with antibodies that want to kill off the sperm in its 3 month travel. There for next IVF doctor suggested IVF with extracted sperm from Testes. (TESA). This resulted in a
    Chemical pregnancy. Looking hopeful we did another few rounds of ivf using TESA. But all embryos were slow and not rated very week and lucky to live till day 5. We then changed clinics and they suggested the answer to our problems was to use a technique called PICSI - this is where they put the sperm in dish with a chemical compound that mimics the protein of the outer shell of egg.
    And good sperm with no DNA damage would bind to it. Making it easy for them to sleepy the right sperm. Again- no luck at all. All embryos were C grade at best. We were told to locate a donor for a sperm.

Then we decided to go to Genea and try the "high digital magnification" IMSI technique to select the best. Sperm. This microscope is 600 times stronger than standard IVF ones. And consequently can see literally into the sperm and even though the sperm may look normal and Move OK - DNA damage means it has Swiss cheese internally and this microscope is the only way for them to locate a sperm that has integrity inside As well as outside.
    BANG!
    All A grade embryos. 1 good enough by day 6 for biopsy which came back as normal - ie 99.8% accurate that it has no chromosome issues. We left that in the freezer and did another cycle as we wanted to have more then 1 child and by this stage my age was starting to be an issue with egg quality and we couldn't afford to wait another couple of years.
    We did another cycle - again A grade. Got pregnant unfortunately it was ectopic. Then did another cycle and ended up with 2 embryos PGD tested all good.

Waited a month to cleanse body (frozen cycles are so much better for you than fresh transfers!!! )

Pregnant straight up.

Other points to add.

Females - take 3 months before doing ivf and get on vitamins.
    450mg Coq10
    1000mg Royal jelly
    Resveratol large dose
    Blackmores conceive well ( better for infertility than elevit- but when pregnancy change to elevit)
    In winter - vitamin D

Men- 3 month prep
    Selium
    Vitamin B and C and E
    Fish oil
    Royal jelly.

Alcohol stuffs up male sperm! Don't drink for 3 months prior! Makes a huge difference

Ladies- get tested for natural killer cells and blood clotting disorders. dr Matthias is well respected. Because if you do actually get pregnant and has any immunology issues that you weren't aware of you will very likely miscarriage. There are simple solution to these issues.

So my advice is
    Use IMSI
    Get PGD tested if possible
    Do a frozen cycle
    And before all that do your vitamins and get your immunology tested.

I also three in Accupuncture - it helps when brewing eggs. By getting more blood flow to them. And Accupuncture on day of transfer before and after crucial- and a few more within the two week wait.

Bobs your uncle!

Good luck everyone X

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Lea7 thanks for your advice! We had no luck with our six month sperm analysis. DH has an appointment with the reversal Dr tomorrow to chat about it.

We'd also tentatively booked an IVF appointment after the three month test. It's just a few weeks away. We're both started on the supplements recommended by our FS.

But kind of torn.. should we have a redo of the reversal which will be sooo much cheaper or jump on the IVF roller coaster??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you. It's hard knowing what to do at the best of times with all of this. It's great that you have appointments all booked in. I had no idea you could get a reversal redone. That is something if possible to work you would be wise to look at doing. Either way it's highly likely you may end up in ivf land anyway as the benchmarks for sperm to conceive naturally are quite high. If you end up doing IVF you must do IMSI. Which sadly is only available through a few selected ivf clinics because the equipment is very expensive and the clinics don't promote it to all because it takes the scientist allot longer than standard ICSi.

My husband has 1% clinical useable sperm. This was diagnosed through Genea, and they did IMSI and we ended up with perfectly normal embryos straight away. And now pregnant.

If you do ivf and have male infertility issues there is no other technique as noticeably beneficial to select the needle in the haystack than IMSI.

I posted my post today because I just want to help anyone else going through what we did. The doctors at other clinics (that didn't offer IMSI) were very quick to over compensate alternative techniques for getting the needle in haystack. None of these dos anything of worth.

As it turned out all that was required was IMSI.

Get the figures from reversal - what the doctors expectations are following procedure. And what the minimum requirements are for falling naturally. If the figures line up that will help make the decision.

Although if you do a clinical useable sperm test on what you have now. If you have more than us 1% you will be in good stealth.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies, just wanted to tell you my journey briefly so that others can be better informed. We paid the 10k at metro centre for DHs VR nearly 3 years ago! Of course like most people's, the op was a 'clinical success' (return of semen) but also like most, poor morphology and motility making it impossible to conceive naturally. After 12 months of trying we stared IVF ICSI. 5 cycles and a MC later we finally got pregnant. Am now 33 weeks with our little boy!

Surfer girl I def wouldn't bother with another VR! We were successful through a low cost ivf clinic although depending on your DHs results you might be better off finding somewhere with IMSI x
    Wish you all the best, this journey was the hardest I've ever been through and so unfair, but now feeling my little boy dancing in my belly, it was worth all the heartache xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow, so much info to take in!! Thanks ladies for your stories.

I hadn't heard about IMSI but I was a little concerned about extracted sperm not being as mature and the impact this would have on ICSI so this sounds like it could be something for us to consider.

My DH is just about to sit down in an appointment with our reversal Dr to discuss his SA and see what the recommendations are. He had no sperm at all present. A redo sounds cheaper but I'm not optimistic considering it didn't work first time around ha.
    @StillHopeful yay a success story! A big journey obviously but such an amazing outcome!! I saw your posts in another thread also - you're from GC too but went to a low cost clinic in North Lakes that had IMSI? We're booked in with an IVF clinic in Brissie in a few weeks time. I booked it tentatively a couple of months ago because the waiting list was four months long so I'm torn to jump ship now! Low cost does sound enticing though. Do you know what the wait time to get into your clinic is?

Decisions decisions..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update - one less decision to make.. our reversal Dr said in the circumstances he wouldn't redo the op. He also said we were his first failure, cheers! So we can close that door. IVF, here we come!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi surfergirl, we didn't do IMSI, got lucky with just ICSI - the low cost clinic doesn't do IMSI, but we had around 3 million sperm per ml and 3%.
    Still took 2 Stim cycles and a total of 5 transfers and I still pinch myself that it worked.

Sorry to hear the VR results but at least your doc was honest and your path is a little clearer! In my time at MYIVF there really wasn't a wait time, just going on the pill to line up with their dates. But if you need TESA (extraction) I don't think they do that unfortunately.

It's a really tough road to travel, the only thing that keeps you going at times is that the pain of giving up is worse than the pain to keep going, but you WILL get there. It's just a question of how long, that's the hardest part! I hope you find the best FS and Wing it first try. One thing I was so grateful for when starting ivf was, after the VR it was only me timing, worrying about how often to DTD, if my PCOS was hindering success etc etc. Staring ivf meant I could give all that away for someone else to plan and just follow instructions until the clinic got us pregnant. And to feel like even though many times it didn't work out after the TWW - we actually had an embryo in there, our best chance yet! Rather than worry if a sperm even met the egg and were all my dates right! Good luck again, keep us posted! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh ok, yeah maybe we will be a bit more limited in clinic choices with having to do sperm extraction. We're booked with Wazza's protege, Charlotte, so I think we'll be in good hands. I'm actually excited for it.. probably a little bit naive haha.

I'm mentally prepared (as much as I can be with so much unknown at this stage), but financially not so prepared if we don't have any success early on.

We wouldn't take the VR back but I'm so curious to know why it didn't work. The dr doesn't think there was anything wrong with the operation site but may be to do with a blockage in the epididymis. I wonder if our FS will be able to pinpoint this.

If we had a frozen PESA/TESA sample from Wazza's clinic, could we take this to MyIVF for a later cycle?