Closed Thread
Page 81 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you all realise you can claim gst from goods purchased in Oz up to 30 days before you leave also. You just go to counter in international after you pass through customs. I've done it before but you have to have the goods with you when you leave Australia. Any regular shopping receipts are all you need.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KMP For This Useful Post:

Jennski  (04-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks kmp its good isnt it I did that with my ipad I brought exactly 30 days before I flew and brought at an excellent price.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It also doesnt matter if goods have been used you just need original box or packaging.

Thanks
    Reviews
    CAMom - Congratulations, that's wonderful news!!!

Charlie - We grappled with the DE process for twelve months. DH has 30% viable swimmers and 10% of them just tread water and aren't interested in going anywhere + my AMH is less than 1. We were told not bother trying with OE, in fact they wouldn't let us. We looked into DE in Aus and realised just how long it takes and how hard it is to find a donor, and then you are virtually at their mercy. Some expect to be in your child's life forever, and while DH and I would be incredibly grateful for their donation, we value the anonymous aspect of SA. DH and I understand DE from SA is not a forgone conclusion for starting our family, but we have gone from a less than 1% chance in Aus to a 70% chance in SA. I'll take those odds anyday !!!!! We knew when to stop searching in Aus for answers, most of the lovely ladies past and present on this thread did, and you probably will too when the time comes. It was this thread that gave us the confidence to jump off that precipice and give it a try. We made the decision in May and will be in SA in August. We are going over with open minds and open hearts and hopefully coming back with a couple of little surprises on board.

Emski - Fingers crossed, this time will be the one.

AFM - Waiting, waiting, waiting. Just finished the hell week of EOFY at work which kept me extremely busy and run of my feet. Next week won't be quite as busy so then I will go back to waiting, waiting, waiting...

Hi to the other awesome ladies, baby dust to all.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jennski For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (05-07-2015),KLM0511  (04-07-2015),mardicharli  (04-07-2015),TannyMac  (04-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some clarification on the GST refund scheme...

The window to purchase is 60 days prior to purchase, not 30 days. We just took advantage of this to buy a camera with the EOFY sales and we go on Aug 22.

You need to spend at least $300 with a retailer for your purchase to be eligible. We went back to the camera shop a few days later and bought something else and we can claim the GST back on that spend as well as our total spend is over $300 at that store.

if you Google GST tourist refund scheme it has the full details.
    Last edited by Sunnygirl04; 04-07-2015 at 05:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For anyone travelling soon...

Virgin have just announced a points partnership with South African Airways. You can earn points per mile and status credits on Virgin/South African code share flights and South African flights as well. It has been back dated to 30 April so if you have very recently returned you might be able to claim points on those flights as well.

Also, if you have lounge access (eg Gold FF) you can now access their lounges in CT, Jo'burg etc.
    Last edited by Sunnygirl04; 04-07-2015 at 06:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sunnygirl yes probably true 60 days for Aus but the real question was in SA I am assuming.

I don't usually do it from Aus but I had been shopping in Melbourne before one trip (guilty face) and my sister had mentioned it. She is a customs officer so I just ask her if I have any questions.

Just be careful as some items classed luxury would be retaxed when you return to Australia so check before you buy if you want to do it this end. I claimed shoes, my suitcase, scarf, other items but earrings/jewellery are a no go.

Claiming in other countries before you leave is sometimes, honestly, not worth it. I'm totally unsure I've ever had Euro money back after countless forms and having to post to Eastern Europe from the airports there, and they were decent refunds.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/T...ou-a-traveller

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Make sure you are signed up to the south Africa airways voyage scheme before you fly though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi KMP,

A few pages back the discussion seemed to be around VAT refund before returning from SA but on the last page it turned to GST refund on outbound departure and I was responding to this. @midnite and yourself were referencing GST so that was the basis of my comment.

I have been looking at the VAT refund on departure as well and am still tossing it around. The threshold point is lower (ZAR 250) and is a total spend, rather than a minimum spend per invoice.

http://www.taxrefunds.co.za/index.ph...al-information

Every little bit of a refund helps but if it is a small amount and a big queue I might not bother. We will have time though, we are doing a side trip on the way home and have 5 hours to kill at Jo'burg airport between a domestic flight and the international flight.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnygirl04 For This Useful Post:

emski72  (04-07-2015),JulieMalooley  (05-07-2015)