Closed Thread
Page 80 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @Charlie74 some ladies even do 50:50 donor and partner sperm to cover sll bases.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMP For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015),Hopeful1975  (03-07-2015),midnite01  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we did 50:50
    Pm me if you need more

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful1975 For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015),midnite01  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys for the info re 50:50. We have severe mfi and we have lower than usual fert rates using my eggs (50% if we are lucky). That's the thing that worries me if we go down the ed cycle is whether our fert rate would improve using younger eggs. I'm thinking that it should but you never know. Hubbie currently does tesa to get the swimmers.

did any of you guys have severe mfi issues and did you have good fertilisation rates compared to own egg cycles???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie74 View Post
    Hi girls.. Hope u don't mind me popping In here to post & ask a few questions (that may have been asked already!!).. I've been reading the posts in here for a few months, and my head is filling with questions about it all that id love to ask all of you.

I'm 41 in December, and have no known issues, lap/hyster/dye studies last week showed all looks good, AMH is 24.7, last follicle count in May showed 11 follicles. My DP however has varicoceles, and therefore low sperm count.. Like 2million. We're starting our first IVF cycle this month. ICSI-HA, with PGS of embryos.

As much as I'd love to think it might work. I'm fairly pessimistic about our chances. And so as a survival strategy I'm trying to look ahead with some 'defensive pessimism' & consider other options & get an idea of what else we can do to make a family. I've looked briefly at adoption but I can't see it being a viable option. So I'm also thinking about egg/sperm donation as well. From all the fantastic feedback u guys report, I can see that SA appears to be the best place to look at.

And now for some questions..and I'm really sorry if these have all been asked before..
    1. What were the main reasons you decided to go to SA & not go thru the same process at home? Is it cheaper? Easier?

2. What if you just wanted to try sperm donation? Would u do that in SA well? Or would u do it at home? (I'm thinking maybe that's a stupid question with an obvious answer that I'm not thinking of..)

3. Can u do both egg & sperm donation in SA? Have any of you done that?

4. How much info do u get about donors? Ie, can u pick donors who are of a particular ethnic background? Hair colour? Eye colour? Height? Religion? (Not sure how much I care about any of that but I'm trying to get my head around HOW you choose someone??)

5. Last question! Anyone done ICSI in SA? I guess my concern is that apart from me being 40- we have a double issue with DP having varicoceles.. Makes me wonder if it would make an egg donor option with his sperm unlikely??

Any & all answers are really appreciated.. Sorry if it's repeating stuff.. I've tried looking back thru the thread & it's taking ages : )

Thanks girls! It's a very positive thread to read thru.. So much hope & great results!
    Hi Charlie,

So to answer your questions:
    1. The process in SA was more ******lined and with much better success rates than here in Australia.
    The current system here in Australia opens up and allows for a high level of exploitation of recipients... I could go on but won't.
    The actual cycle is cheaper in SA but you have added expenses like travel/accommodation etc. we made it somewhat of a holiday as well.
    The other deciding factor for us was that two of the doctors at CFC were part of the team to achieve the first successful egg donor pregnancy/live birth in the world. We figured our best chance was where the knowledge base was...

2. You could do just sperm donation there. I'm not sure how it compares as it wasn't an option for us.

3. Yes you can do both- we did. They even allowed us to split our donor eggs to do half with DH's Sperm & half donor sperm ( kept in separate dishes) so that we could find which would produce the best outcome. Any and all embryos produced are ours. (This was suggested by our Australian FS as we had 'vague' known issues with DH's sperm )

4. Yes the profiles include all that info and more (family history, medical history, personal likes/dislikes etc). Some agencies profiles are more detailed than others. We basically started with some 'must haves' and some 'would be good' criteria. (This can change as you go through the process).
    In the end some one will 'jump out at you' and you will know when you find her - it will just 'feel' right.

5. We did ICSI both times. From my understanding it wasn't really a choice. It seemed to be how they do all donor egg cycles. (Yields better results??)

We are now 23 weeks with twins after our second trip to SA - be mindful that it isn't always the 'magic bullet' first go but the results certainly speak for themselves.
    If you have other more specific questions feel free to PM😊

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by midnite01 View Post
    Thanks guys for the info re 50:50. We have severe mfi and we have lower than usual fert rates using my eggs (50% if we are lucky). That's the thing that worries me if we go down the ed cycle is whether our fert rate would improve using younger eggs. I'm thinking that it should but you never know. Hubbie currently does tesa to get the swimmers.

did any of you guys have severe mfi issues and did you have good fertilisation rates compared to own egg cycles???
    Yes we had to deal with severe MFI - it was just vague as to what was the cause. (Poor count, very poor morph., poor FISH result).
    This coupled with my dodgy eggs meant on the OE cycles where we did get reasonable fertilisation they fragmented badly by day 3.
    Our FS here in Australia recommended using DE (and CFC in SA). He explained that sometimes with MFI a younger donor (under 30) with good quality eggs can 'make up the difference' of poor sperm quality.
    We ended up doing 50/50 split of our DE's with DH and Donor Sperm. It was basically a 'bet each way' to help show if DH's sperm had any viability.
    For us the double donor embryos certainly performed the best (they are In the freezer) but I'm currently 23 weeks (twins) with DE+ DH's sperm so they can't have been too bad😉.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Looks like we are having a Sept cycle now so one month less to wait!

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Blinky76  (04-07-2015),Charlie74  (03-07-2015),Jennski  (04-07-2015),JulieMalooley  (03-07-2015),KLM0511  (03-07-2015),mardicharli  (03-07-2015),Miss Sagi  (04-07-2015),Tahli  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    Looks like we are having a Sept cycle now so one month less to wait!
    Very exciting @emski72!! It still amazes me how fast this stuff can happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Emski it will be here before you know it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to midnite01 For This Useful Post:

emski72  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I brought myself an ipad on special before travelling to nz over xmas and got gst back from tourist rebate scheme at melb airport very quick and efficient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats again CAMom! Enjoy every minute of motherhood. I know I'm looking forward to it.

Hi Charlie, I concur with all the other girls.
    1. My reasons were because I'm old (46), very low AMH, IVF failed and got very few eggs. I looked into local donors and just found that they wanted to be included in the child's life - one potential donor had just come back from her female partner's previous donor child's 3rd birthday! So I could see that that is something she would have wanted to do also if I chose her. Another wanted photos for the fridge each birthday/milestone etc. I guess that's all fine, but I suppose selfishly, I wanted the child to be mine, not half someone else's. (God, that makes me sound awful!) In SA, the donor is completely anonymous which certainly suited me more. I guess just more comfortable. Plus you get to have the most amazing holiday ever! CapeTown is so beautiful!

As Blinky says its not guaranteed to work first go, but wow, there has been a pretty good run! There have be so many that have been lucky the first visit, and then those like me that were lucky on their second or Third visit (me). I'm now 21 weeks (on Sunday) and just so grateful to my young donor and the doctor at CFC and scientists for helping me create a life.
    So you should have heaps of info to keep on file and in the back of your mind, should your future attempts with your own fail. But I do wish you lots of luck and it would be amazing if you had success and didn't have to worry about SA as an option.

Hi to all you other awesome ladies!

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KLM0511 For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015),JulieMalooley  (05-07-2015),mardicharli  (03-07-2015),Patsy73  (03-07-2015),TannyMac  (04-07-2015),wazbub  (03-07-2015)