Closed Thread
Page 79 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    CAMom- congratulations from me too. All the best settling into some vague routine that works for everyone !

MardiCharlie - so glad you made it to your own baby shower although I am sure everyone could have brought it to you in hospital !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cathy69 For This Useful Post:

mardicharli  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats CAmom. Hang in there with that routine. Glad everything has worked out well for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Charlie,

I am heading off in Aug so I can speak from the planning perspective, others will probably respond from the 'been there, done that' viewpoint.

1. Easier, yes. Confirm a donor and be there in around three months, plenty of donors available. Unless you want a specific donor no need to wait. We priced a donor cycle here and came up with around $16k, the donor cycle in SA will end up roughly the same with a holiday thrown in.

2. Not sure about sperm only. DH is fine, I'm old!

3. Double donor is doable, some here have done that, they will be able to give details on the process.

4. Lots! I have a nine page profile on our donor and it covers everything you listed. You will see childhood photos but not adult ones. We signed up with all the agencies (no cost) decided on our profile parameters (hair, eyes, height, weight etc) and searched on that basis, created a list and then there was some 'gut feel' involved. You will come up with your own method that works based on what you consider important.

Good luck
    Sunny
    Last edited by Sunnygirl04; 03-07-2015 at 10:24.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnygirl04 For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi @Charlie74, I’m at work and flat out so this will be short. I’m on holidays as of tomorrow, heading to CT on Monday yayyyyyy and will endeavour to catch up on the thread this weekend before I leave. My one comment is about Australian donors. I believe it’s difficult and time consuming to get yourself hooked up with one. My clinic had a wait list for donor eggs and we were ‘lucky’ enough to get a donor in a week – that is unheard of. Did 5 embryo transfers with her eggs and after $30,000 (around $20,000 out of pocket) we still aren’t pregnant. She was 34 so I was adamant that our donor in CT be waaaaay younger, and she is 24. We decided on CT when I realised I didn’t have time to go down the donor path again in Australia (I’m 43 tomorrow – bummer) and after reading this thread found out just how easy it was and how plentiful the donors are. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper too.
    Good luck!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015),KMP  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Charlie, I'm 41 in August, and We are trying the de process for the first time at the end of August after 5 attempts at ivf, dh is okay but my amh is low ( 11 but a year ago 30 so dodgy measure !) but okay but I'm not getting the quality and when I do I still miscarry. So we decided enough, accept I have bad eggs and to try this path.
    You get lots of information about the donor we found more than enough for us decide, including donors baby photos and donation history as well as medical history. We are still waiting on our chosen donors first screening do at this stage for us the rest is a bit of a mystery

Fern

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ferngirl For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015),Jennski  (04-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie74 View Post
    Hi girls.. Hope u don't mind me popping In here to post & ask a few questions (that may have been asked already!!).. I've been reading the posts in here for a few months, and my head is filling with questions about it all that id love to ask all of you.

I'm 41 in December, and have no known issues, lap/hyster/dye studies last week showed all looks good, AMH is 24.7, last follicle count in May showed 11 follicles. My DP however has varicoceles, and therefore low sperm count.. Like 2million. We're starting our first IVF cycle this month. ICSI-HA, with PGS of embryos.

As much as I'd love to think it might work. I'm fairly pessimistic about our chances. And so as a survival strategy I'm trying to look ahead with some 'defensive pessimism' & consider other options & get an idea of what else we can do to make a family. I've looked briefly at adoption but I can't see it being a viable option. So I'm also thinking about egg/sperm donation as well. From all the fantastic feedback u guys report, I can see that SA appears to be the best place to look at.

And now for some questions..and I'm really sorry if these have all been asked before..
    1. What were the main reasons you decided to go to SA & not go thru the same process at home? Is it cheaper? Easier?

2. What if you just wanted to try sperm donation? Would u do that in SA well? Or would u do it at home? (I'm thinking maybe that's a stupid question with an obvious answer that I'm not thinking of..)

3. Can u do both egg & sperm donation in SA? Have any of you done that?

4. How much info do u get about donors? Ie, can u pick donors who are of a particular ethnic background? Hair colour? Eye colour? Height? Religion? (Not sure how much I care about any of that but I'm trying to get my head around HOW you choose someone??)

5. Last question! Anyone done ICSI in SA? I guess my concern is that apart from me being 40- we have a double issue with DP having varicoceles.. Makes me wonder if it would make an egg donor option with his sperm unlikely??

Any & all answers are really appreciated.. Sorry if it's repeating stuff.. I've tried looking back thru the thread & it's taking ages : )

Thanks girls! It's a very positive thread to read thru.. So much hope & great results!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Charlie

Yes yes yes yes

Me- Single 44

27.5 weeks now, egg and sperm donor in SA and ICSI.

Fast, professional, easy, stress free

Removes human factors that over-ride the process here.

You need to decide what factors are important for you but don't get too emotional about donor because your child is far more than DNA.

Feel free to PM me if you like. It costs nothing to get sperm donor list from CFC (pages of multiple ethnicities) and similarly for egg donors from registered clinics. You can easily get online and get a 'feel' for your choices.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KMP For This Useful Post:

Charlie74  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can anyone explain the VAT tax you can claim back at the airport? What does it include for example?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I found it not worth my time to line up for it. I think it's mainly for goods, so if you bought a new laptop or something you need to show the goods and receipt to get the (I think 14%) vat back.
    Someone else might have done it but I just looked at the 50 people lined up and decided to go for a coffee 😃

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Jennski  (04-07-2015),JulieMalooley  (03-07-2015),KMP  (03-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Leyshoja in most countries you need passport while shopping to get receipt to claim back.

Then have to line up and get items checked (that you're taking goods out of country) paperwork checked and often not get back immediately may take time (depends on country).

Usually before check-in so adds time and inconvenience. I'd weigh up savings vs cost and chaos involved.

I had a low cost trip to SA compared with my usual trips so I didn't think about it at all.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KMP For This Useful Post:

Jennski  (04-07-2015)