+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    A race is not a background.

Sharing a background would be "we both come from medium socio economic communitys and attended public school ".

Not "we are both Jamaican/Anglo."

Race is race.
    I dont know why youre arguing with me that was my point? Except background can mean ethnic background. By race i mean skin colour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    As long as we live in a world where poc are treated differently who are shot by police for having a broken tail light, who's culture is constantly mocked so much people don't even notice when its at it's worst, when people STILL justify blackface and micro aggressions are seen as no big deal everything should be analysed. Racism doesnt go away by being ignored thats ridiculous.

And if people refuse because they either cant be bothered or it makes them uncomfortable thats on them. White people as a group are part of a huge problem. All of us.

And yep im hostile. Because this is a topic im super passionate about. And i have low tolerance for those who excuse it because its not "bad enough".
    I never said anything about it 'not being bad enough', although Samantha Armytage did not shoot anyone for having a broken tail light. Keep it real.

Im not going to talk about this further as your passion is obvious (and admirable). I have no desire to discuss this while you are so emotionally charged that you feel the need to be a smart alec when i offered a legitimate reason (her background) why she may have been oblivious to her comment (do you want a cookie?).

Have a good discussion ladies.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (28-04-2015),SAgirl  (28-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    No. They are both Jamaican/Anglo. Its funny how she is being called racist but she was not singling either one out for race. She was ripping herself off for being pasty, something which people do all the time.

If Sam was black would you still be calling her racist?

I dont identify anyone as a race or colour, people are just people..thats just how i grew up and if she is the same i can understand why she wouldnt have for a second processed that it could be anything other then a mockery of herself.

Everyone is offended by everything these days.

I understand that you may mean well by your comments that you don't identify anyone as race or colour etc and some may even have the believe this is progressive thinking. But it is my belief that it is ignorant to deny the experience of racism for those that have experienced it throughout their whole life because you don't personally believe in it. Regardless of your race. It is not up to anyone to tell people how they should or shouldn't experience racism and when they should be offended or not. To deny its existence by simply saying I don't believe in it or that people will find anything to complain about will do nothing to address the issues of racism in our society , in fact help to breed it through ignorance.
    It is only through talking about people's experiences and listening to those who are affected by racism when they speak about racism that we can learn how ingrained it is in everyday language and behaviour and hope to change it .

Also for those that keep saying she was directing the comments at herself. She didn't once make reference to herself . She spoke about solely about the colour of someone else. Regardless of her personal jabs at herself previously this was not evident in his clip and you can not rely on a background story about yourself to defend your comments on others skin colour on national television. That is just my opinion.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-04-2015),Lillynix  (28-04-2015),misskittyfantastico  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),TheGooch  (28-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not sure why she would say that. I have never liked her anyway, she is often rude and I often think 'what were you thinking to say that'. Just how she is I think.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Is Sam Armytage racist?

The more I think about it the more I think it was a totally stupid story anyway.

Why is it newsworthy that one twin displays recessive and the other dominant genes? It's actually not that different from one twin being left handed and the other right handed. Except that we are focussing on skin colour...

ETA yes and eye and hair but that's no so amazing in itself either!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (28-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashram View Post
    I understand that you may mean well by your comments that you don't identify anyone as race or colour etc and some may even have the believe this is progressive thinking. But it is my belief that it is ignorant to deny the experience of racism for those that have experienced it throughout their whole life because you don't personally believe in it. Regardless of your race. It is not up to anyone to tell people how they should or shouldn't experience racism and when they should be offended or not. To deny its existence by simply saying I don't believe in it or that people will find anything to complain about will do nothing to address the issues of racism in our society , in fact help to breed it through ignorance.
    It is only through talking about people's experiences and listening to those who are affected by racism when they speak about racism that we can learn how ingrained it is in everyday language and behaviour and hope to change it .

Also for those that keep saying she was directing the comments at herself. She didn't once make reference to herself . She spoke about solely about the colour of someone else. Regardless of her personal jabs at herself previously this was not evident in his clip and you can not rely on a background story about yourself to defend your comments on others skin colour on national television. That is just my opinion.
    Thank you so much for explaining it with far more eloquence than my patience would allow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (28-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    The more I think about it the more I think it was a totally stupid story anyway.

Why is it newsworthy that one twin displays recessive and the other dominant genes? It's actually not that different from one twin being left handed and the other right handed. Except that we are focussing on skin colour...

There are actually quite a few twins with different coloured hair and skin etc. i told dh the other day that if we ever had twins, i was sure ours would be like that too.

As it is, 1 son is pale with blonde hair and blue eyes (like daddy apart from red hair) and the other is olive skinned, dark hair and dark eyes like me. Nature is amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post

Because the science behind how genes work is awesome?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Because the science behind how genes work is awesome?
    It is! I agree...

Didn't really come across as a very scientific report though?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm not a sunrise or Sam fan, however I don't think there is any way in heck that Sam was saying the white looking twin was luckier than the darker twin because of her skin color. That would involve a level of hate and ignorance that I just don't think Sam has in her. For me the possibility is so remote - I doubt anyone in the Australian media would say (on air) something like this with a racist meaning behind it.

As for what the heck Sam actually meant I have no idea. Foot in mouth - ditz moment. It happens to all of us just not on air fortunately!