+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52
  1. #31
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,994
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,889
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Eep, I don't know...

    I watched the clip. I don't watch Sunrise so don't have the benefit of 'getting her' personality and humour, but I wouldn't say that's obvious sarcasm.

    I don't for a second think she is a racist person, but that comment did not come across well at all.

    The best I can come up with was that she was maybe trying to make her sound special too, as the description of the other twin arguably sounded more exotic and interesting?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    8,156
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked
    765
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Watch

    http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/sunrise-host-samantha-armytage-mortified-at-racism-suggestion-20150428-1mv5b1.html

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    582
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    No. They are both Jamaican/Anglo. Its funny how she is being called racist but she was not singling either one out for race. She was ripping herself off for being pasty, something which people do all the time.

    If Sam was black would you still be calling her racist?

    I dont identify anyone as a race or colour, people are just people..thats just how i grew up and if she is the same i can understand why she wouldnt have for a second processed that it could be anything other then a mockery of herself.

    Everyone is offended by everything these days.
    If Sam was black and she spoke about how beautiful white skin was and mentioned she didn't like the colour of her own that's called internalized racism, but that would not be up to me as a white person to call her out. So nice try.

    And that's nice that you don't see people's colour or race. Do you want a cookie?

    Nice passive aggressive jab there... i'm not actually offended. More frustrated that people complain that everyone is soooo sensitive these days. God forbid people out there trying to make a ****ty world a better place.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

    Lillynix  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),TheGooch  (28-04-2015)

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Launceston
    Posts
    13,466
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    2,355
    Reviews
    35
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lillynix I think you summed it up perfectly. I couldn't have said it better so won't try.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

    Lillynix  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015)

  7. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    438
    Thanks
    1,246
    Thanked
    245
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I commented on this elsewhere today. I don't believe it was intended to be a racist comment at all, but that's exactly what it was, in my book.

    She may not have meant it in a racist way (and I don't believe that she did), but that's the whole concept of 'casual racism' really. Making off the cuff remarks, in normal everyday life, without thinking.

    We are SO indoctrinated to think (and believe) that to be white is still superior (speaking generally, of course), that whiteness is better, it is preferred. And making an off handed remark such as ". . . like her dad, good on her . . ." only serves to contribute that type of blatant, racist thinking.

    She may not have meant it, but she still said it, and it is without a doubt a racist remark. She essentially congratulated a woman for being white. It doesn't matter the context or the meaning, they were her words. She didn't make similar comments congratulating the other woman for being dark skinned, in fact, she simply described her, described her skin colour and her hair and related it to their mother. She then mentioned her sisters skin colour, related it to their father, and said "good on her".

    Racism. Without a doubt. And it was so subtle, so "innocently" said, that it had the potential to go unnoticed and no discussion would have ensued. But someone noticed, someone paid enough attention to realise that what she said, was not okay, and it wasn't. Now we're talking about racism and the subtle forms it can take, and how even when there is no realisation as to what is being said, and even when there's no malice behind it, we still stay racist things despite knowing better, because that kind of indoctrination is hard to shake off.
    I wish I could thank this 1000 times.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

    Lillynix  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),TheGooch  (28-04-2015)

  9. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    582
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And just...yes they both have the same background, but one passes for white. The other does not. That's something that cannot be argued.

  10. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    If Sam was black and she spoke about how beautiful white skin was and mentioned she didn't like the colour of her own that's called internalized racism, but that would not be up to me as a white person to call her out. So nice try.

    And that's nice that you don't see people's colour or race. Do you want a cookie?

    Nice passive aggressive jab there... i'm not actually offended. More frustrated that people complain that everyone is soooo sensitive these days. God forbid people out there trying to make a ****ty world a better place.
    You are coming across very hostile!

    It was not a passive agressive comment, its true. Someone somewhere would have found something to complain about and its a problem with our whole society, not just racism. The problem with being on TV is you get a wider audience therefore more chance of offending people.

    If she was black why does it have to be internalised racism? Why cant it just be a comment? Not everything is said with menacing intent, but everything can be percieved however anyone wants to percieve it.

    Maybe the problem lies with people whom do not want to move forward toward making the world a better place by stepping away from these old fashioned views on colour or race and seeing menace when it is not there. It goes both ways.

    And yes, i would absolutely love a cookie!

  11. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    And just...yes they both have the same background, but one passes for white. The other does not. That's something that cannot be argued.
    A race is not a background.

    Sharing a background would be "we both come from medium socio economic communitys and attended public school ".

    Not "we are both Jamaican/Anglo."

    Race is race.

  12. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    582
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as we live in a world where poc are treated differently who are shot by police for having a broken tail light, who's culture is constantly mocked so much people don't even notice when its at it's worst, when people STILL justify blackface and micro aggressions are seen as no big deal everything should be analysed. Racism doesnt go away by being ignored thats ridiculous.

    And if people refuse because they either cant be bothered or it makes them uncomfortable thats on them. White people as a group are part of a huge problem. All of us.

    And yep im hostile. Because this is a topic im super passionate about. And i have low tolerance for those who excuse it because its not "bad enough".

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

    Ashram  (28-04-2015),beebs  (28-04-2015),Lillynix  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),TheGooch  (28-04-2015)

  14. #40
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And that really is the point isn't it. We are so indoctrinated that most of us have moments of casual racism without even meaning it. Irish jokes anyone? A prime example of casual racism that is often followed by "learn to take a joke". But actually the whole point of Irish jokes was to dehumanise the Irish and make them out to be stupid. Which may not be much to anyone now, but 50 years ago, was a huge thing.

    I couldn't garner any sarcasm in Sam's voice either, I watched it a couple of times.

    And FWTR, the "People love pulling out the 'racism' card to make themselves look better." comment, has to be one of the silliest things I have ever read. I have never, ever heard anyone pull someone else up on racism to make themselves feel better. Ever.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I commented on this elsewhere today. I don't believe it was intended to be a racist comment at all, but that's exactly what it was, in my book.

    She may not have meant it in a racist way (and I don't believe that she did), but that's the whole concept of 'casual racism' really. Making off the cuff remarks, in normal everyday life, without thinking.

    We are SO indoctrinated to think (and believe) that to be white is still superior (speaking generally, of course), that whiteness is better, it is preferred. And making an off handed remark such as ". . . like her dad, good on her . . ." only serves to contribute that type of blatant, racist thinking.

    She may not have meant it, but she still said it, and it is without a doubt a racist remark. She essentially congratulated a woman for being white. It doesn't matter the context or the meaning, they were her words. She didn't make similar comments congratulating the other woman for being dark skinned, in fact, she simply described her, described her skin colour and her hair and related it to their mother. She then mentioned her sisters skin colour, related it to their father, and said "good on her".

    Racism. Without a doubt. And it was so subtle, so "innocently" said, that it had the potential to go unnoticed and no discussion would have ensued. But someone noticed, someone paid enough attention to realise that what she said, was not okay, and it wasn't. Now we're talking about racism and the subtle forms it can take, and how even when there is no realisation as to what is being said, and even when there's no malice behind it, we still stay racist things despite knowing better, because that kind of indoctrination is hard to shake off.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Ashram  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),TheGooch  (28-04-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Racist or Just Plain Curious? (spin off)
    By Mrs Tickle in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 10:14
  2. Mil: dumb or racist?
    By VicPark in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 20-05-2014, 22:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Impressionable Kids
Impressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet sculptures. With franchise locations throughout Australia you can be assured you will receive a quality handmade product with a lifetime warranty on all frames.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!