+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,094
    Thanks
    1,386
    Thanked
    1,357
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I commented on this elsewhere today. I don't believe it was intended to be a racist comment at all, but that's exactly what it was, in my book.

    She may not have meant it in a racist way (and I don't believe that she did), but that's the whole concept of 'casual racism' really. Making off the cuff remarks, in normal everyday life, without thinking.

    We are SO indoctrinated to think (and believe) that to be white is still superior (speaking generally, of course), that whiteness is better, it is preferred. And making an off handed remark such as ". . . like her dad, good on her . . ." only serves to contribute that type of blatant, racist thinking.

    She may not have meant it, but she still said it, and it is without a doubt a racist remark. She essentially congratulated a woman for being white. It doesn't matter the context or the meaning, they were her words. She didn't make similar comments congratulating the other woman for being dark skinned, in fact, she simply described her, described her skin colour and her hair and related it to their mother. She then mentioned her sisters skin colour, related it to their father, and said "good on her".

    Racism. Without a doubt. And it was so subtle, so "innocently" said, that it had the potential to go unnoticed and no discussion would have ensued. But someone noticed, someone paid enough attention to realise that what she said, was not okay, and it wasn't. Now we're talking about racism and the subtle forms it can take, and how even when there is no realisation as to what is being said, and even when there's no malice behind it, we still stay racist things despite knowing better, because that kind of indoctrination is hard to shake off.
    See I don't see it this way.

    As per my pp, many people want darker skin, they tan, they use sunbeds and they use fake tan. All to look darker. I suspect Sam was trying to make the red head feel better because she had 'pale' skin unlike her sister who had the beautiful darker skin. That's not to say my opinion is that pale skin isn't beautiful too, I'm just saying a lot of people (women especially) always seem to want darker skin.

    I don't for 1 minute believe it's a case of 'casual racism'. MPO is that sometimes people want to start drama over nothing.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,688
    Thanks
    4,822
    Thanked
    2,373
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    The intention might not have been racist, but does intention matter, really?
    She told a white person she was lucky to have fair skin with her dark sister right next to her. Neither of them looked impressed. As individuals, yes it can be brushed off, but when you look at the bigger picture and how black people are treated in our laws and everyday society...yep, it's a problem. Just because it might not hurt one person's feelings, doesn't mean it's not part of a bigger issue.
    Agree!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    582
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    I watched the clip, I don't think it's racist or that she is racist. People love pulling out the 'racism' card to make themselves look better.

    To me, it sounded more like she was saying 'good on ya' to the red head for getting her dad's looks, because let's face it, redheads also cop a LOT of flack! My hubby is a redhead and he got hammered at school.

    Maybe she was trying to make her feel better because she doesn't have her sister and mothers beautiful Olive skin? Let's face it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and even racist people try to get a darker complexion by tanning etc.

    That's the way I took it.
    Really? Pulling the racism card to "look better"? No. "Pulling the racism card" because it's racist. You may not agree, but people don't do that so they can look better to anyone. They do it because it's how they see it.

    And you cannot possibly compare what black people have to deal with to what redheads have to deal with. There are no laws and systems in place to keep redheads at the bottom. Redheads might get their feelings hurt for being redheads. Racism is part of our system.

    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    See I don't see it this way.

    As per my pp, many people want darker skin, they tan, they use sunbeds and they use fake tan. All to look darker. I suspect Sam was trying to make the red head feel better because she had 'pale' skin unlike her sister who had the beautiful darker skin. That's not to say my opinion is that pale skin isn't beautiful too, I'm just saying a lot of people (women especially) always seem to want darker skin.

    I don't for 1 minute believe it's a case of 'casual racism'. MPO is that sometimes people want to start drama over nothing.
    People like to tan because they are convinced it looks healthier and better. Not because they want to "look black". Tanning is also a fairly recent thing.

    Furthermore, those who aren't black love to pick and choose aspects of black culture to admire (sorry, I mean mock, because that's kind of what it is) while not really giving a **** about fighting racism. People STILL do black face these days and justify it by saying "I LOVE BLACK PEOPLE".

    Don't really care if she was trying to make the pale sister feel better. She automatically has privileges her sister would not because she is white. And no one would question her whiteness because it's the default.

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

    Ashram  (28-04-2015),beebs  (28-04-2015),Lillynix  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),smallpotatoes  (28-04-2015),TheGooch  (28-04-2015)

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Racist? No.
    Blonde moment? Yes.

    Both of the girls are the same race anyway. It doesnt matter what their skin is. If she had of said "she got her mums Jamaican genes/Anglo genes (good on her) then it would have been racist. She often picks on her fair skin and how she cant tan etc. Fwiw everyone i know thinks dark skin is much more desirable.

    She clearly said a dumb thing off the cuff and im a million percent sure once she realised she would have been mortified. Weve all done it-its just unfortunate hers was on live tv.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

    SAgirl  (28-04-2015)

  7. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,650
    Thanks
    792
    Thanked
    672
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I never heard her say it and initially thought it was a racist thing to say, however if you say she said it sarcastically, could it be that she was making a joke about herself and family having very pale skin?
    Like a "good on you for having to deal with being pale and looking like you've never seen the sun and get burnt when you do, just like me"?
    This is what i was meaning. I'm not doing so well in saying exactly what I mean lately.


    Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,094
    Thanks
    1,386
    Thanked
    1,357
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Racist? No.
    Blonde moment? Yes.

    Both of the girls are the same race anyway. It doesnt matter what their skin is. If she had of said "she got her mums Jamaican genes/Anglo genes (good on her) then it would have been racist. She often picks on her fair skin and how she cant tan etc. Fwiw everyone i know thinks dark skin is much more desirable.

    She clearly said a dumb thing off the cuff and im a million percent sure once she realised she would have been mortified. Weve all done it-its just unfortunate hers was on live tv.
    Kinda what I was trying to get at too.

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    582
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Racist? No.
    Blonde moment? Yes.

    Both of the girls are the same race anyway. It doesnt matter what their skin is. If she had of said "she got her mums Jamaican genes/Anglo genes (good on her) then it would have been racist. She often picks on her fair skin and how she cant tan etc. Fwiw everyone i know thinks dark skin is much more desirable.

    She clearly said a dumb thing off the cuff and im a million percent sure once she realised she would have been mortified. Weve all done it-its just unfortunate hers was on live tv.
    They have the same background. One is white, the other is black. One has white privilege, the other doesn't. It's not the same thing.

    And everyone you know may like dark skin over fair, but that doesn't dispute the fact that black people are treated far far worse than white people. This isn't a case of what looks better.

    And yes, it's unfortunate hers was on live TV because now she has to take responsibility for what she said...how unfortunate.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

    Ashram  (28-04-2015),beebs  (28-04-2015),Lillynix  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),TheGooch  (28-04-2015)

  11. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,396
    Thanks
    601
    Thanked
    1,398
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Is Sam Armytage racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    They have the same background. One is white, the other is black. One has white privilege, the other doesn't. It's not the same thing.

    And everyone you know may like dark skin over fair, but that doesn't dispute the fact that black people are treated far far worse than white people. This isn't a case of what looks better.

    And yes, it's unfortunate hers was on live TV because now she has to take responsibility for what she said...how unfortunate.
    No. They are both Jamaican/Anglo. Its funny how she is being called racist but she was not singling either one out for race. She was ripping herself off for being pasty, something which people do all the time.

    If Sam was black would you still be calling her racist?

    I dont identify anyone as a race or colour, people are just people..thats just how i grew up and if she is the same i can understand why she wouldnt have for a second processed that it could be anything other then a mockery of herself.

    Everyone is offended by everything these days.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (28-04-2015),SAgirl  (28-04-2015)

  13. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    5,946
    Thanks
    1,973
    Thanked
    2,080
    Reviews
    16
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She (Sam) wasn't ripping herself off. The tone in her voice is absolutely not one of sarcasm or of a jovial one. She said
    but Lucy got her dad's fair skin, good on her, along with straight red hair and blue eyes.
    There was absolutely no tone in her voice that indicated she was giving a sarcastic 'good on her ', suggesting that white skin can be a PITA, that it was pasty and destined to be so, unlike her gorgeously darker skin tanned sister. That tone and intent was just not there.

    What was there, was someone verbally high-five'ing someone else because of their skin colour. Because of their white skin colour.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

    Ashram  (28-04-2015),beebs  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),TheGooch  (28-04-2015)

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    No. They are both Jamaican/Anglo. Its funny how she is being called racist but she was not singling either one out for race. She was ripping herself off for being pasty, something which people do all the time.

    If Sam was black would you still be calling her racist?

    I dont identify anyone as a race or colour, people are just people..thats just how i grew up and if she is the same i can understand why she wouldnt have for a second processed that it could be anything other then a mockery of herself.

    Everyone is offended by everything these days.
    Yes! Thank you!

    I watched it and agree it was sarcasm.

    I don't like Sam on a good day. I think she is too immature. This though, this is her making fun of herself being so pale and burning easily.

    If it is racist then IMO it is her being racist against pale skin people.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Racist or Just Plain Curious? (spin off)
    By Mrs Tickle in forum General Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-07-2014, 10:14
  2. Mil: dumb or racist?
    By VicPark in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 20-05-2014, 22:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
LCF Fun Languages Australia
We offer foreign language lessons for children 2-12 yrs in French, Spanish, Mandarin, Italian or German as after-school and preschool clubs or private language tuition. This is play-based, full immersion language learning with proven results!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!