+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    more ditzy than racist

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Racist? No.
    Stupid? Yes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-04-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (28-04-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think there is a bit of a 'get sam ' group out there. it seems that no matter how she looks or what she says, someone is out to get her. perhaps people are upset that she replaced Melissa, but seriously, she is just a woman on the tv, doing what she can to make herself a living. I haven't paid any attention to what she says or what anyone says in that circumstance. I think if people are so sensitive to innocent comments, they need to get over themselves. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just watched the film clip. Very cringeworthy. Even if it wasn't meant to be racist (which it doesn't seem to be) what was the point??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (28-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don' t think it means she's racist. Definitely a cringeworthy moment though and it really came out wrong. I think she should have just immediately said, 'oh sorry, that came out all wrong,' or something like that and cleared up any misunderstanding there and then. It would have been awkward and embarrassing but better than leaving the comment out there unchallenged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it was racist. Very much a silly thing to say. But I think she was meaning it sarcastically and it has been taken by everyone else in the wrong context. The article makes it worse than what it was, the sarcasm was more in her tone. I didn't see it live but have watched a video

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The intention might not have been racist, but does intention matter, really?
    She told a white person she was lucky to have fair skin with her dark sister right next to her. Neither of them looked impressed. As individuals, yes it can be brushed off, but when you look at the bigger picture and how black people are treated in our laws and everyday society...yep, it's a problem. Just because it might not hurt one person's feelings, doesn't mean it's not part of a bigger issue.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-04-2015),BettyW  (28-04-2015),Chillies  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),VicPark  (28-04-2015),waterlily  (28-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I commented on this elsewhere today. I don't believe it was intended to be a racist comment at all, but that's exactly what it was, in my book.

She may not have meant it in a racist way (and I don't believe that she did), but that's the whole concept of 'casual racism' really. Making off the cuff remarks, in normal everyday life, without thinking.

We are SO indoctrinated to think (and believe) that to be white is still superior (speaking generally, of course), that whiteness is better, it is preferred. And making an off handed remark such as ". . . like her dad, good on her . . ." only serves to contribute that type of blatant, racist thinking.

She may not have meant it, but she still said it, and it is without a doubt a racist remark. She essentially congratulated a woman for being white. It doesn't matter the context or the meaning, they were her words. She didn't make similar comments congratulating the other woman for being dark skinned, in fact, she simply described her, described her skin colour and her hair and related it to their mother. She then mentioned her sisters skin colour, related it to their father, and said "good on her".

Racism. Without a doubt. And it was so subtle, so "innocently" said, that it had the potential to go unnoticed and no discussion would have ensued. But someone noticed, someone paid enough attention to realise that what she said, was not okay, and it wasn't. Now we're talking about racism and the subtle forms it can take, and how even when there is no realisation as to what is being said, and even when there's no malice behind it, we still stay racist things despite knowing better, because that kind of indoctrination is hard to shake off.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (28-04-2015),beebs  (28-04-2015),BettyW  (28-04-2015),Chillies  (28-04-2015),Skyler  (28-04-2015),smallpotatoes  (28-04-2015),waterlily  (28-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    I don't think it was racist. Very much a silly thing to say. But I think she was meaning it sarcastically and it has been taken by everyone else in the wrong context. The article makes it worse than what it was, the sarcasm was more in her tone. I didn't see it live but have watched a video

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I never heard her say it and initially thought it was a racist thing to say, however if you say she said it sarcastically, could it be that she was making a joke about herself and family having very pale skin?
    Like a "good on you for having to deal with being pale and looking like you've never seen the sun and get burnt when you do, just like me"?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I watched the clip, I don't think it's racist or that she is racist. People love pulling out the 'racism' card to make themselves look better.

To me, it sounded more like she was saying 'good on ya' to the red head for getting her dad's looks, because let's face it, redheads also cop a LOT of flack! My hubby is a redhead and he got hammered at school.

Maybe she was trying to make her feel better because she doesn't have her sister and mothers beautiful Olive skin? Let's face it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and even racist people try to get a darker complexion by tanning etc.

That's the way I took it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (28-04-2015)