+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok ladies thanks for all the advice, I have just had a busy weekend of baking and now have 2 marble butter cakes and a set of cupcakes in the freezer (for dd kindy on wed). My transfer has now been moved to thursday. My plan at the moment is to take the cupcakes out and make two lots of butter cream on tuesday night. I can then decorate the cupcakes on wednesday morning before she goes to kindy. Should I then freeze the second lot of butter cream and take both the butter cakes and buttercream out on wednesday night before I decorate the cake Thursday morning before transfer at lunch time? Will the cake be ok until Saturday that way? That gives me all of Friday to chill out before party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyside View Post
    Ok ladies thanks for all the advice, I have just had a busy weekend of baking and now have 2 marble butter cakes and a set of cupcakes in the freezer (for dd kindy on wed). My transfer has now been moved to thursday. My plan at the moment is to take the cupcakes out and make two lots of butter cream on tuesday night. I can then decorate the cupcakes on wednesday morning before she goes to kindy. Should I then freeze the second lot of butter cream and take both the butter cakes and buttercream out on wednesday night before I decorate the cake Thursday morning before transfer at lunch time? Will the cake be ok until Saturday that way? That gives me all of Friday to chill out before party.
    Id probably leave it to Friday night/Saturday to ice the cakes. It would be okay if you did it Thursday but I'd be worried it would not be quite as fresh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was hoping to keep my stress levels as low as possible after transfer so wanted the cake done , did someone not say the fondant would keep it fresh?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No need to freeze the buttercream for the cake. It's got loads of sugar in it, it will be fine. Just use water rather than milk to thin it.

You'll be fine to put the fondant on on Thursday before transfer. It won't be as fresh as doing it Friday but it'll still be good. Just make sure your cake us completely unthawed. 😊

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would definitely make cake in advance and freeze (it tastes better IMO after being frozen).

You can ice on the thursday - as long as you can store in a cool place out of light it will be fine. The fondant will keep it fresh! A lot of wedding cakes are decorated a good week or so before the actual wedding. Although I used a ganache instead of buttercream cos I was afraid it would spoil. Ganache is super easy and I found it much easier to spread too. Because you boil the cream it changes the structure and it doesn't spoil as quickly as it otherwise would!

With DSs cake, I decorated it on the Friday and the party was on the Sunday - it was FINE. In fact, it was delicious. I have some in my freezer still.

And his birthday was in November so very hot. I did actually put it in the fridge, and let it sweat when it came out without touching it and it didn't ruin the cake or fondant at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again for all the advice everyone, I finished dd's cupcakes this morning and sent her into kindy with them. Only the cake for her party to organise now, have coloured all the icing in advance and will take the cake out of the freezer tonight before icing it tomorrow morning before my transfer. Think I will do it this way again next year as it has caused so much less stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck! Hope it all goes well. Don't forget to post a pic when finished!