+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baking advice - birthday cake

Hi everyone I am in the need of some baking advice, it is DD's birthday next week and we are having a party for her the following Saturday. I am not a very experienced cake maker but I have enjoyed developing my skills each year with her birthday cake. My plsn for this year is a 2 layered sponge cake sandwiched together with butter cream before being coated in butter cream and then fondant icing and decoration.

My issue is that we are currently going through fertility issues and I have an embryo transfer planned for the day before her party. I am hoping not to get too stressed on transfer day for obvious reasons and I am concerned that making a cake on that day will not be good fir stress levels. I was wondering if anyone can advise me as to how far in advance I can make the cake or maybe a way of doing it in stages to ease stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Buttercream freezes really well. It just needs a quick whip with an electric beater once defrosted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you planning on covering the whole cake in fondant? If so I wouldn't use a sponge cake as it's too light up hold up under fondant. Use a butter cake recipe instead. You could complete the cake 2 days before the party and it would still be good for the party. The fondant will "seal" the cake and keep it fresh. 🎂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Truffle - yes the plan was to cover the ehole thing so thanks for advice will just use my faithful orange cake recipe I tend to use every year instead then (less room for failure too) which is a butter cake recipe. May just do one big cake instead of layers too. So are you saying I could make the whole thing icing and decorations too on the Thursday and it will all be fresh? How do I store it?

HappyBovine and Mellie29 - Thanjs for the tips on the freezing, will the cake taste just as good after freezing or may there be a possibility it could be spoilt with ice crystals?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyside View Post
    Truffle - yes the plan was to cover the ehole thing so thanks for advice will just use my faithful orange cake recipe I tend to use every year instead then (less room for failure too) which is a butter cake recipe. May just do one big cake instead of layers too. So are you saying I could make the whole thing icing and decorations too on the Thursday and it will all be fresh? How do I store it?

HappyBovine and Mellie29 - Thanjs for the tips on the freezing, will the cake taste just as good after freezing or may there be a possibility it could be spoilt with ice crystals?
    Your orange cake sounds perfect. With a chocolate buttercream or ganache - yum! You could bake the cake this week and freeze it. Just wrap it well in glad wrap once cool. Pop in an airtight container (not essential) and freeze.

I'd then take it out Wednesday evening to put your buttercream or ganache on in the morning. Let it set then pop your fondant on. No need to do anything to store it. You can put it in an airtight container but again not essential.

If you make a big cake you can ways torte it to get your layers.

HTH 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice has all been very helpful, have definitely decided to do cake ahead of time and freeze will then ice it Thursday. Will be good to be very prepared and relaxed for Friday.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (29-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seriously I would just buy a lovely one. I know you probably enjoy making her cake as it's a special thing you do every year for her birthday, but be realistic and make things as calm and relaxed for yourself as possible.

I think you are already amazing for throwing a birthday party the day after an embryo transfer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks grumpybump I have thought about that to keep things simple and dh has tried to persuade me to do that. But to be honest I want to really make the cake. I think by keeping things simple and preparing the cake in advance I will be keeping stress low. All the other food will be pre bought to keep things simple and the party is at a park so no mess at home. On the plus side we fly to bali the following Tuesday for a wedding so lots of me/relaxation time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I freeze my cakes for months and they are fine. Double wrap in cling wrap and then foil. You could also cheat and buy the cake then do the decorating.

If you do freeze the cake you can ice it frozen - heaps easier.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (29-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No one has ever noticed if I've frozen buttercream. It tastes gone one defrosted