+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Brushing toddler teeth help

I thought I was doing an ok job of brushing ds3 teeth.. Until I opened his mouth today in the sunlight and saw all the yellow around his gums. So gross
    I used a normal kids toothbrush then switched to electric kids one as it seemed to get more out of the back teeth but obviously doesnt work..

What can I do?? I do use a toddler toothpaste.. Ds wont let me do it for 2 mins but usually can for about 30 sec to a minute

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is a nightmare when i try to brush his teeth. He's just turned 2. He used to let me do it but since he had some big teeth cut through he fights me on it every time. I manage to get about 30 seconds of brushing in but he's usually crying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Used to have the same problem, so would do it 3/4 times a day instead of 2.
    So 4 lots of 1 minute, instead of 2 lots of 2 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Used to have the same problem, so would do it 3/4 times a day instead of 2.
    So 4 lots of 1 minute, instead of 2 lots of 2 minutes.
    I will have to try this. I'm hoping ds will come around and not hate it so much soon. I'm thinking he hates it because he's cutting more teeth and it must hurt. Poor kid

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    I will have to try this. I'm hoping ds will come around and not hate it so much soon. I'm thinking he hates it because he's cutting more teeth and it must hurt. Poor kid
    You can also get dental sticks- they are plastic and almost like a flat toothpick- i.e. instead of being pointy they are flat and can be used to scrape excess plaque... DH got some from the dentist a few weeks ago and they work really well. Not sure what they're called.
    Also those little interdental brushes may help break it up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got some nice flavoured toothpastes for DS. They are natural, no sugar, and come in flavours like banana and strawberry. Not sure if I'm allowed to link, but if you just google 'natural sugar free flavoured toothpaste' it should be one of the top results. DS loves the taste so actually gets excited to have his teeth brushed, it's like a special treat We also give him the toothbrush to chew on when we're done, as we find he'll chew on it for a couple of minutes and figure that he's getting them a bit cleaner in the process...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let my DD "brush" my teeth while I do hers when she isn't keen on doing it.

She is so concentrated on doing mine I can really get in and give hers a good brush, just be prepared for a lot of toothbrush jamming down the back of your throat if you take this approach 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I bought a step so my 2 year old can see herself in the mirror while we brush. She holds the toothbrush and I put my hand over hers to "help". I make a big deal of me tickling her teeth and I tell her they're sparkling, glittery, so beautiful, so clean, as I brush. This gets me a really good brush about once a week then other days it's just a quick scrub but she does buy into the excitement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I got some nice flavoured toothpastes for DS. They are natural, no sugar, and come in flavours like banana and strawberry. Not sure if I'm allowed to link, but if you just google 'natural sugar free flavoured toothpaste' it should be one of the top results. DS loves the taste so actually gets excited to have his teeth brushed, it's like a special treat We also give him the toothbrush to chew on when we're done, as we find he'll chew on it for a couple of minutes and figure that he's getting them a bit cleaner in the process...
    Jack & Jills toothpaste? We use it. Was recommended to us on here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find brushing my teeth at the same time helps distract ds and he lets mebrush longer. We also found a brushthat plays a wiggles song which has helped aswell.