+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think its cute and yes i would let my girls wear it.

OP you made it for a friend, the friend liked it. Thats all that matters

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I don't see it as sexualised, just a little Mermaid themed top...

You're very talented OP!
    Maybe we should stop and have a think about the whole concept mermaids. .... young good looking half humans with gorgeous long hair and decent sized boobs that are highlighted in a bikini top. You don't see any Middle Aged mermaids with a pot gut and short grey hair. The whole concept was probably invented by a man who hadn't had a shag in 20 years.

So by default encouraging little girls to mimick mermaids is sexualising them.

I agree the OP is very talented.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Would you put this on your daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I think its cute and yes i would let my girls wear it.

OP you made it for a friend, the friend liked it. Thats all that matters
    The friend could very well like it. Then again perhaps she doesn't and is just being polite. I received many baby outfits bub only wore once (or never). Some because I wasn't a fan and others because bub had too many clothes. Still tried to send out the obligatory photo of bub wearing the present though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry OP but wouldn't put my DD in that top. As a previous poster said I also automatically thought it was supposed to look like a bra.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Maybe we should stop and have a think about the whole concept mermaids. .... young good looking half humans with gorgeous long hair and decent sized boobs that are highlighted in a bikini top. You don't see any Middle Aged mermaids with a pot gut and short grey hair. The whole concept was probably invented by a man who hadn't had a shag in 20 years.

So by default encouraging little girls to mimick mermaids is sexualising them.

I agree the OP is very talented.
    Attached Images

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (26-04-2015),bezzy  (26-04-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (26-04-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The friend could very well like it. Then again perhaps she doesn't and is just being polite. I received many baby outfits bub only wore once (or never). Some because I wasn't a fan and others because bub had too many clothes. Still tried to send out the obligatory photo of bub wearing the present though.
    is this necessary? To suggest Op's friend may not actually like it and is just being polite? Serves no purpose other than to make Op feel even more uncertain.

Op, I don't know if I'd put this on my daughter. I don't have s daughter. I put plenty of things on my son I never thought I would.
    Take your friend's appreciation at face value and move forward. Your intention was really lovely.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (26-04-2015),CJ81  (26-04-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-04-2015),SheWarrior  (26-04-2015),smallpotatoes  (26-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Probably not. It does look like a clam bra to me. Having said that, as long as your friend is happy, that's all that matters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it is very well made and cute however I am so against anything that remotely sexualises a child and as it is sort of drawing attention to breasts I would not put my daughter in one. However, I don't think you should feel bad at all for making it, it is a lovely gift and all that matters is that your friend likes it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did say I wouldn't put it on my daughter but after seeing the pic of Ariel... I think I would.

It's a cute little top.

If only my daughter was girly **sigh**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    is this necessary? To suggest Op's friend may not actually like it and is just being polite? Serves no purpose other than to make Op feel even more uncertain.

What's the OPs point in posting?
    I thought it may have been because she is considering making more of the items either for sale or gifting. In which case I think it's prudent to try and ascertain whether the feedback given this far is genuine - strangers online are probably going to tell the truth moreso than a friend who doesn't want to hurt your feelings. Uncertainty and cautiousness can be good things when it comes to gift giving or running a business.

Apologies if this is not what the OP was considering. And yes, it's totally possible the recipient loved the gift.