+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a director at a centre in Tasmania and the things I always say to new parents looking for care is that you will get that feeling when you look around the centre. And I agree with other people- bring your child and see how the educators behave around her on the tour- do they interact with her? Do they invite her to come play?

Questions to ask: (pending on what your looking for in care)
    - programming- how often is the program adapted to the room?
    -ratios (they have strict guilelines to follow but always worth an ask)
    - how many children can they fit in each room
    -educators within the room- are they the same each day or do they change?(pending of course sickness/holidays etc)
    -check out their outdoor environment
    -transitioning time available? (Aka before you start paying for care are you able to come and have a play in the room to allow your child to get familiar with other children and educators)

Pending what age your child is- if young look at the whole centre/each room. I'm assuming your thinking long term so eventually your child will grow into the other rooms.

My biggest thing I tell parents is to shop around! You wouldn't just buy the first house or car without looking into it all. I also advise parents to transition their child in- especially if under 2! This is important for the child to feel secure- instead of you dropping them off and leaving them- they will get to know the educators ! But also- YOU get to know the educators.

I'm not a parent yet- but it is a big thing dropping your child off to leave with complete strangers- so get to know them and let them get to know you!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tassiewife For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (26-04-2015),Gentoo  (26-04-2015),Pearlygirl  (26-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great tips thanks all

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Sub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I've just been googling centres, one particular chain charges a fee to go on the waiting list with no guarantee you'll get a place 😳 is this normal?

I'm also after some opinions on something - I have heard really great things about a church run centre - great educators/curriculum/play equipment and nice centre etc. We're not religious but I want DS to go to the best centre I can get. The church thing puts me off a bit though, not sure why. I'm going to go check it out anyway, but what do people think?
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 26-04-2015 at 20:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmmmm that does sound strange- but at the same time sometimes centres find that you put your name down but then when called you ignore - but at the same time I don't think it takes much for them to make a phone call when a spot comes up and if you no longer need it then move onto the next person on the list!

We have a booking fee- but that is when you say you want the spot- so in order for us to place a child we need the money to secure it. We always have people say they will take a spot so you put their name down and give them enrolments form and save their spot to have them never turn up. So we take the booking fee for that- and we hold onto it incase they do a runner with an outstanding fee!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The waiting list fee seems quite common here in the ACT. It's apparently because people put their names down on so many different centre's waiting lists that they're trying to deter people who aren't really keen.
    The church run centre wouldn't bother me at all. It's not like they'll be incorporating religion into their childcare problem. I think not for profit centres, like those that are church run, can be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tassiemum that makes sense. Id be happy to pay a booking fee if I had a spot. Not so happy with paying an "admin" fee for potentially nothing. It's IMO expensive too ($70). That ones been struck off my list!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I LOVE our centre. We are at a montessori centre in SA (incase anyone is interested).

We send food and I prefer this as dd is lactose intolerant etc and whenever food isn't suitable she's offered something like a bloody rice cracker at her old centre 😳

They have programs weekly for example last week was Anzac week. I'm pretty sure this week is Mother's Day? Can't remember!

They have an animal, attend the vegetable garden. Etc. Cook. Drink out of cups. Wash these dishes. I love it.

They spend heaps time outside too. Then ds and Dd also mingle from baby room and transition. At the end of the day all the kids play together it's just great. I'm so in love it's not funny 😂

My kids have little diaries of what happens each day. What they ate etc sleeps. It is great to communicate i write in there time I will pick up up etc

The vibe of carers with other kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Pearlygirl;8170088]So I've just been googling centres, one particular chain charges a fee to go on the waiting list with no guarantee you'll get a place ������ is this normal?

Hi Pearlygirl - I had two out of three centres charge a fee to go on the wait list but it was only $20 + $30 respectively.