+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I always rode my bike on the road as a kid, but in saying that we lived in a cul de sac of about 5 houses, so traffic was rare. For everything else we played in the yard. We were fortunate to have a decent size backyard though. Not like yards these days.

Now, we live in a gated complex and the kids are always playing on the 'roads' and I hate it. Even though our speed limit is 5km/hr while in the complex, people still fly around the corners doing at least 20-30km/hr. DH has had kids run in front of him without looking making him brake. Plus one of the kids is an amputee with a prosthetic leg, so he's a bit slower than the average kid to get out of the way. The worst part is that majority of the time the parents aren't supervising them because they obviously figure it's "safe" because it's a gated estate. Even though it's part of the body corp rules that there is to be no playing on the roadways, people don't care. It will take a kid getting hit for people to change their behaviours.

To the lady who said it was her kid's right to play on the road, I sincerely hope she never goes through the trauma of losing a child/ having a child seriously injured who has been struck by a car while playing on the road. Roads are definitely a cars domain. If it was a quiet street I wouldn't have an issue if they were playing safely. On a road as described in the OP, play at your own peril I reckon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live on a no through road that has a primary school at the end joining a major road...so there are always lots of kids around in the afternoon on the street. It still surprises me when the parents drive really fast up the street only to turn around, race back and park their car to pick up their kids when school is finished! No accidents yet!

It is nice to hear kids playing on the street because you feel that you must be in a safe suburb. Still, people do drive fast on our street thinking it's a through road.

My preference would be no kids on the road...because if they think it's safe to play on the road near home they might start thinking it's safe everywhere, particularly the young ones, and then bad things can happen.

Maybe in the old days when the cars didn't drive so fast but today, people are so impatient that they drive like maniacs on quiet streets!

For us there is a large oval at the school which would be the perfect place to take the kids to run around...it's just a shame that the whole place is locked up like Fort Knox so that can't happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im fine with it, as long as the children are road aware and if they see a car coming they move off the road.

There is a house down the road from us and there are literally about 6 kids that live at this one house, and they NEVER look before they walk/run/ride out onto the road. I've often had to toot at them to warn them i'm coming because they are so oblivious to the fact that there is a car coming. One day one of these children are going to get hit by a car because they fail to check if its safe or not first before going onto the road.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope nope and nope. I'm pretty over protective but playing anywhere near cars/roads just screams danger to me. It could be fine 90% of the time but all it takes is one moron going too fast or texting on their phone and a little distracted kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our area has heaps of kids and yes the may play at the top of the culdesac on the road but generally they are all over everyone's lawns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha well I was just looking to move to somewhere with a quite street/court so I could let my kids play by the road. I lived in a court as a child and I played on the road. We knew when to move and we were aware. Probs wouldn't let a one year old but yeah I foresee this issue of people not knowing how to think for themselves because of too many rules and restrictions.That's jus tmy personal opinion though. When I drive in a street that's quite that I know children are around I'm always extra cautious.